Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Roy Grace coming to ITV next year

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dreadful author, lazy books, reminds me of Matt Lucas as Barbara Cartland lying on the couch dictating vacuous crap to David Walliams to fill up/bulk out her latest novel.

If I've just read some high brow metaphor ridden intellectually challenging, taken me 6 months to get through tomb of a book, I do like nothing better than picking up a Roy Grace novel I got in a charity shop for 75p. :D

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Peter James's Brighton based police detective is coming to national TV. Filming is due to start in Brighton early in the New Year. John Simms be playing the lead.

Loved the books, so interested in seeing what scrip writer Russell Lewis ( Endeavour) will do with them. Fingers crossed they don't cock it up, the last TV police drama filmed in the town was dire.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/pre...ing-john-simm-acclaimed-screenwriter-russell#

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Peter James is the literary equivilent of the Peter and Jane books aimed at 6-7 year olds . Man can't write and he's a complete tit face . Probably make good TV though - so long as theres a decent script writer

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Peter James is the literary equivilent of the Peter and Jane books aimed at 6-7 year olds . Man can't write and he's a complete tit face . Probably make good TV though - so long as theres a decent script writer

the guy that did Endeavour is doing it so it should be half decent. And with the Brighton backdrop whats not to like.

I have read some shit by Stephen King and Thomas Harris in recent months.... so even the greats are capable of the odd bit of tripe.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
looks as if they may be filming in and around Shoreham too. The disused car park on the old civic building site is full of craft service trucks.

Surprised you weren't asked to play your self in the series.

,,,Scarily it is nearly eight years ago that this was first mooted. At the time I posted on this esteemed board and predicted that Johnny Depp was mooted to play me. I assume that the delay in the production going ahead is due to his packed schedule.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good news.
We have seen a few of his plays at the Connaught in Worthing and have always enjoyed them.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Lets just hope that they don't play fast and loose with the geography. Thinking back on all the TV series set in Brighton (Cuffs, Sugar Rush, Killer-net) it was always very off putting and removes you from the show when the characters run down a road, or flight of steps on Brighton Seafront, only to get the the bottom of them or emerge in Shoreham, or in Sugar Rush take a taxi from the Palace Pier and go past the Pavillion 10 mins later(although that isnt such a stretch these days!)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lets just hope that they don't play fast and loose with the geography. Thinking back on all the TV series set in Brighton (Cuffs, Sugar Rush, Killer-net) it was always very off putting and removes you from the show when the characters run down a road, or flight of steps on Brighton Seafront, only to get the the bottom of them or emerge in Shoreham, or in Sugar Rush take a taxi from the Palace Pier and go past the Pavillion 10 mins later(although that isnt such a stretch these days!)

I know what you mean, if you are from the area and know it very well but this can be annoying.
The Fear ( 2012 ) 4 part crime drama set in Brighton, in one scene someone was driving through Brighton but I didn’t recognise the area they ended up in, it was Bristol but supposed to be Brighton.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I know what you mean, if you are from the area and know it very well but this can be annoying.
The Fear ( 2012 ) 4 part crime drama set in Brighton, in one scene someone was driving through Brighton but I didn’t recognise the area they ended up in, it was Bristol but supposed to be Brighton.

I agree continuity in geography is very annoying when you know the area being filmed in. In one episode of Cuffs a young lad ran away from police on Maderia Drive only to end up on the top of the Teville Gate multistory in Worthing a few minutes later. That show was all over the place with their police chases as well, often going up and down the same stretch of Mill Hill over and over again in the same chase.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I agree continuity in geography is very annoying when you know the area being filmed in. In one episode of Cuffs a young lad ran away from police on Maderia Drive only to end up on the top of the Teville Gate multistory in Worthing a few minutes later. That show was all over the place with their police chases as well, often going up and down the same stretch of Mill Hill over and over again in the same chase.

This happens in all dramas and films, it just because you know the local geography that you notice the lack of continuity.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
This guy is playing Glenn Branson apparently.
D840EAA4-AF57-4560-A8D3-76FB59A9F86F.jpeg
Love John Simm, love the books and it will be great to see the old home town on the screen.
The above should make it quite watchable too!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This happens in all dramas and films, it just because you know the local geography that you notice the lack of continuity.

Morse: Take us back to the station, Lewis.

Lewis: Right, sir.

Morse: And make sure to go the long way round, on the maddest possible detour through Oxford city centre and past as many colleges as possible, and the Radcliffe Camera too if you can. We've got to flog this nonsense to the Americans, you know.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020

Killer-Net featured a disused railway tunnel that was supposed to be Kemp Town. But it wasn’t. It was somewhere in Kent.
However it prompted a resurgence of interest in the Old Kemp Town railway.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've read all the novels (and seen the plays) and Peter James absolutely invokes the schizophrenic geography trope relentlessly.

For all the research he puts into police procedure and whatnot, he really takes liberties.

One bit stands out where Grace is taking his morning run along the seafront, before turning onto New England Street.

That said, as a fan of these stories, I will be watching this no question

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here