Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ali J to get his chance soon?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope you're not implying all his critics will hold Ali to a higher standard than everyone else?

The way posters are falling over themselves to get to the 'I Was Wrong' thread proves how important it is for everyone here to be honest.

Shame on you for thinking otherwise. :lol:

The thread that’s sinking without trace after 24 hours? THAT thread?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thread that’s sinking without trace after 24 hours? THAT thread?
Yep the one with a fair few:-

'I wasn't actually wrong but...'
&
'I was wrong about this really good positive news'

:lolol: :

Yeah that one. :facepalm:

It's not like I expected BG or Spence to post but come on.

(esp as seemingly just about everybody on here was wrong about one player who hasn't even been mentioned)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I realise that we have a busy schedule coming up but cannot for the life of me see where he will figure for us as there are too many in front of him in the pecking order.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm getting this thread confused with the AJ thread.

I'm goint to merge them in my tiny mind and suggest that Ali J will be a knockout.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If he plays, and gets to take a free kick or corner, will we give him the "Whhhhooooooooooooooahhhhh.." like for the opposition goalie?

He's free kick against Valencia was one of the worst things I've ever seen an Albion player do in a game

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am guilty of the last one sometimes, no actually quite often. The most infuriating current player as he has the ability but seldom the confidence. As for his crosses....

Dare I say the only player who hasn’t upped his game since Potter arrived?

Agreed - didn't say it wasn't me shouting it :whistle:

Goes wide, gets the ball in space.....stops......passes backwards or sideways......then stands still. I'd much rather have Bernardo in that position. Such a shame - when he's confident he's a good footballer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's free kick against Valencia was one of the worst things I've ever seen an Albion player do in a game

Hey everybody spot the new fan. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed - didn't say it wasn't me shouting it :whistle:

Goes wide, gets the ball in space.....stops......passes backwards or sideways......then stands still. I'd much rather have Bernardo in that position. Such a shame - when he's confident he's a good footballer.
Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Solly isn't playing in front of 30,000 confidence inspiring 'supporters'.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Hey everybody spot the new fan. :lolol:

I stand by it. From memory he took a quick free kick while the striker was prone on the floor and missed his target for the pass by about 15 metres. In its stupidity and lack of execution by a big money signing I think it'll stick with me

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Similar in WSL - Stephens (ALWAYS sideways or backwards apparently), Ryan ('FFS kick it LONG you ****') and March ('take him on !').................

But to be fair there are times when Ryan should kick it long and there are times when March needs to take responsibility and try to beat the opposition player rather than stop and pass back to Burn to do it from a worse position.

When does fair critique become bullying?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But to be fair there are times when Ryan should kick it long and there are times when March needs to take responsibility and try to beat the opposition player rather than stop and pass back to Burn to do it from a worse position.

When does fair critique become bullying?

Oh I agree, but the comments re Ryan come every time we're 'fannying about with it at the back'............................

My bigger frustration with Solly is his lack of movement after passing the ball (and his poor crossing).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Oh I agree, but the comments re Ryan come every time we're 'fannying about with it at the back'............................

My bigger frustration with Solly is his lack of movement after passing the ball (and his poor crossing).

re the crossing, its why i think Burn is a better option and Bernardo better still if he is fully fit.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I still don’t believe that a player as good as Ali was last season can suddenly turn into a poor player overnite. I think he needs more chances and yes I do believe there is a very decent player in there somewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still don’t believe that a player as good as Ali was last season can suddenly turn into a poor player overnite. I think he needs more chances and yes I do believe there is a very decent player in there somewhere.

Well my man Big Jurg is seemingly proving that's not quite the case.

Play in Europe
Score a pooh load of goals.
Join the Albion
Score a sporadic (at best) amount of goals
Leave for Europe
A couple of weeks later, score a pooh load of goals.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I want Ali to succeed, am sure we all do. But it doesn’t look likely now.

Solly can barely get in the team these days, the squad has evolved to be point we now have good players who can’t even make the bench.

The one crumb of comfort for him Is that GP has been very ruthless in getting rid of players so far. Knocky, Andone, Locadia, and has no qualms leaving good players out. So he obviously likes AJ as a person.

But yes, this is now the definition of last chance saloon. Ali has to perform when/if he gets a chance. Its as simple as that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fair point. He could’ve also made a huge difference in the FAC semi* if he’d gone to the floor clutching his face during that incident with Kyle Walker, but couldn’t even do that properly.

*Ali J in the starting 11 in the FA Cup semi final at Wembley stadium - just another example of him not being given a chance.

I thought he played quite well in that game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here