Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Kettles

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As a child in the 40s/50s we didnt have running hot water we used to have to light the coke boiler to heat the water for a bath and boil a kettle for a wash or shave.so that wasnt relevant. Mind you dad passed away 35 years ago so times and attitudes have changed somewhat but I still wouldnt fill the kettle from the hot tap, old habits etc.

I also wouldn't fill a kettle from the hot tap, but I was really just pointing out that hot water cylinders don't contain stagnant water.
Well unless the cylinder was in a empty property and unused for many years of course.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Dad used the word stagnant to mean water that didnt move very often perhaps once or twice a week unlike the modern day, even with a boiler and hot water tank, every few minutes, so I accept what you are saying.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can't wait for the first "I've got a boiling water tap so don't need a kettle" response.

We will be planning a new kitchen soon, and have already decided that we couldn't be bothered with one of those silly boiling water taps! Gimmicky waste of money.

And answer for the OP - Cold water tap, obviously.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Which part?
:shrug:
I grew up in a house?
My parents had a whistling kettle and a gas cooker?
I've worked in houses that have an Aga?
I've seen a kettle on an Aga?

No. Sorry, I'm not having that.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes the water in the cylinder would be the water that comes out the tap, but then it wouldn't be stagnant, as it would be constantly refreshed (regularly being emptied and filled with water from the header tank). Not drinking water, for reasons covered in the thread, but not stagnant either.

To be fair if you only had a bath once a week then it may be an argument.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be fair if you only had a bath once a week then it may be an argument.

Which was common in the 40s/50s especially in working class houses, where many didnt have a bathroom as such and many had a tin bath as mentioned earlier with a copper to heat the water in. Our bath was in the kitchen with a work surface covering it that hads to be propped up to have a bath.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Depends on the weather and how long the sun has been beating down the well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We had a small gas geyser above the kitchen sink or boiled a kettle for washing up etc.and mum put the large boiler on to heat the water for the washing.
Thems were the days BG. And then all lined up for the family bath on the sabbath.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cold water into the water filter, even though we don't have a tank, either cold or hot, as we have a combi boiler.
I also have a spare whistling kettle for my gas hob, if we get a power cut.

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
Read recently that most Americans don't own an electric kettle, and many don't even know what they are for?

It's because they all drink coffee, and so they use coffee machines.

We Brits use kettles for tea, which of course, they don't like.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Cold tap ever since I found a dead pigeon in the hot water tank, coo

Thirty five years ago my dad and I got called to a large old peoples home in Manor Hall Road Brighton.
They had blocked cold water supplies with feathers/small bones coming out of the taps,
We found half a dozen dead pigeons floating and moldering in the large uncovered cold water tank.
They had been getting in through a slipped roof tile.
It was not the most pleasant job to clear and solve the problem.
One of the nuns told us for years they had filled water jugs for all the bedrooms each evening.
The water came directly from the water tank with the pigeons in.
We ended up working at this home for twenty odd years bringing it up to modern standards with basins in all the bedrooms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here