Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Kettles

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
When I run my hot water tap for eg. to do the washing up, it first runs cold for a while. So to save wasting that water I fill up the kettle. Will it kill me?

If you don't have a combi, that water would have sat in a cold water tank in your loft for possibly days, then sat in a large copper tank that's god knows how old for some indeterminate time before you then put it in your kettle.

Ok it then reaches boiling point. But why risk it to save a few pennies over a year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cold. I was told once not to use the hot tap but don't remember why .

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Have you worked out why the first bit is cold?

... because it's been festering in the pipe just below the tap, breeding bacteria and other horrible diseases like.. errr... club foot, gammy hand and weeping eyelid.

Good job you boil it.

:whistle:

I actually thought this thread would be about kettle buying advice. Dualit every time for me if anyone's interested. ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
... because it's been festering in the pipe just below the tap, breeding bacteria and other horrible diseases like.. errr... club foot, gammy hand and weeping eyelid.

Good job you boil it.

:whistle:
Indeed.

I actually thought this thread would be about kettle buying advice. Dualit every time for me if anyone's interested. ???
Every time? That's not much of an advert for them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you don't have a combi, that water would have sat in a cold water tank in your loft for possibly days, then sat in a large copper tank that's god knows how old for some indeterminate time before you then put it in your kettle.

Ok it then reaches boiling point. But why risk it to save a few pennies over a year.

A few pennies a year you say? Tell me more!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I grew up in a house with a whistling kettle on the gas cooker.
I've been to houses with an Aga and seen kettles used on them

We have a whistling kettle on a gas cooker, takes a few minutes . . . .I have a proper coffee machine which has its own boiler . . . . A kettle probably takes about an hour and a half to warm up on an Aga!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That is next level pedantry.

You have earned a pedant star.

Thank you - what an accolade! I think over the last few years NSC has trained my already pedantically minded brain - so much so that if there is any remote possibility of being picked up on something I try and make sure I've covered all the options in the first place.....

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Do people drink from the bathroom tap? My misses wont even though we have no tanks! I've told her 100 times it's the same water that's in the kitchen!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Every time? That's not much of an advert for them.

Well... three kettles since about 2004. One of which is still at work, and the second is at home. The first I got sick of looking at as it wouldn't go wrong and we 'changed colour scheme' in the kitchen, so I gave it to a friend - who still uses it daily.

I think that's a decent advert!! :salute:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well... three kettles since about 2004. One of which is still at work, and the second is at home. The first I got sick of looking at as it wouldn't go wrong and we 'changed colour scheme' in the kitchen, so I gave it to a friend - who still uses it daily.

I think that's a decent advert!! :salute:
Ah, that's not so bad. May I ask which models? I had a look at some on Amazon, and the Architect one was getting poor reviews (mainly for how loud it is).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesnt this question relate back to the 'old days' when you have hot water tanks with stagnant water in for your hot water so used the cold water mains.
Stagnant water? That wouldn't have been the water coming out of the tap, so no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here