Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Wouldn’t it have to be something more refined?

Waterstones and John Lewis already pay full UK taxes, including on internet sale profits.

Apple, Dell and Amazon don’t. With the bent ‘franchise fee’ from their Irish, Dutch or Lux parent as good as wiping out any chance of a UK profit subject to corp tax.

We wouldn’t want hard pressed honest retailers hit too.

Yup. An across the board sales tax would just be passed onto the consumer. Has to be a combination of profit and turnover somehow.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Labour want to encourage more students to get more left wing votes .but what about the school leavers who are not academic what happens to them ? They end up as the working class ,remember them ?

How to post to let everyone know how you haven't really listened or read anything. You may not agree with Labour's policies, which is fine, but don't state they don't exist when they do.

One of Labour's core education policies is 'Lifelong Learners' is exactly proposed for school leavers who are not academic, but not just school leavers, maybe a 30 year old who is in need of a change and wants to train for something new, or a 45 year old that wants to get into a new emerging job like an electrician training to become a solar expert etc.

This Union Learning Fund is there to retain the workforce so that it is dynamic, and opportunity is there regardless of your age or academic background.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I was chatting to the mobile mechanic I use, today, and he said that he’s voted Labour all his life, but will never vote for them while Corbyn is the leader of the party. He reckons most of his, previously, Labour supporting friends feel the same. Looks like Corbyn has managed to alienate a large section of Labour voters. He also said that he quite likes Boris (please don’t shoot the messenger)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wouldn’t it have to be something more refined?

Waterstones and John Lewis already pay full UK taxes, including on internet sale profits.

Apple, Dell and Amazon don’t. With the bent ‘franchise fee’ from their Irish, Dutch or Lux parent as good as wiping out any chance of a UK profit subject to corp tax.

We wouldn’t want hard pressed honest retailers hit too.

You can avoid the 2.5% tax at Waterstones and John Lewis, but online you will pay the levy. Would help the high street, use the money to improve town centres, so many small towns are in trouble and are run down.

Also retail business rates should be reformed, increase rates on high value residential properties to ofset, crazy a £2m residence only pays around £2.5k p.a in council tax.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So how will the Labour Party introduce a fairer GLOBAL taxation policy?

I agree that the likes of the companies that you have listed have to pay their way. In Amazon's case, up until recently they didn't make a profit, so an alternative way of taxation GLOBALLY has to be found. Making the UK less attractive though is not going to help anyone in the long run.

All that will happen if Labour tries to grab too much too quickly will be that the MANY will end up footing the bill as usual as the FEW will have buggered off elsewhere.
Aw ok then , we'll just plod on as we are then. Obviously that's working well for the FEW and they are the ones we must always consider of course. Heaven forbid if they go elsewhere, our minimum wage/zero hours jobs would dry up, there would be a rise in poverty and homelessness and Food Bank use would go up and people would die on hospital trollies...…. oh, wait .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder what would happen if Labour was a minority government, propped by the LibDems on a bill by bill basis?

Their taxation proposals are wildly different. A penny on income tax by the LibDems and no all out raft of tax rises for entrepreneurs and freelancers, really quite the opposite from today’s manifesto. With an ensuing different approach on nationalisations and buying out farmers/people who own a bit of land.

Shirley another complex Commons.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I wonder what would happen if Labour was a minority government, propped by the LibDems on a bill by bill basis?

Their taxation proposals are wildly different. A penny on income tax by the LibDems and no all out raft of tax rises for entrepreneurs and freelancers, really quite the opposite from today’s manifesto. With an ensuing different approach on nationalisations and buying out farmers/people who own a bit of land.

Shirley another complex Commons.

The LDs wouldn’t support a minority Labour government, a Tory one on the other hand, you have a deal.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The LDs wouldn’t support a minority Labour government, a Tory one on the other hand, you have a deal.

I always thought the Lib Dems were left of center 'centrists' back from the days of the gang of four, and forming the party that we see today thereafter. This current version of Lib Dems feels a lot more right of center, perhaps still glowing from the days of when Swinson was in government and voting for every single austerity motion. Polls would suggest that it's not a line people are taking to particular well.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was chatting to the mobile mechanic I use, today, and he said that he’s voted Labour all his life, but will never vote for them while Corbyn is the leader of the party. He reckons most of his, previously, Labour supporting friends feel the same. Looks like Corbyn has managed to alienate a large section of Labour voters. He also said that he quite likes Boris (please don’t shoot the messenger)

I've always voted Labour + I quite like Boris = Brexiteer.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Aw ok then , we'll just plod on as we are then. Obviously that's working well for the FEW and they are the ones we must always consider of course. Heaven forbid if they go elsewhere, our minimum wage/zero hours jobs would dry up, there would be a rise in poverty and homelessness and Food Bank use would go up and people would die on hospital trollies...…. oh, wait .

Oh dont be pathetic.

Change things gradually over time, not some big bang have-some-of-that-you-rich-******** policy. Things can change, but this proposed way is not the right one imo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's only Labour supporters who are saying the LibDems are more right of centre these days. Perhaps this is because the LibDems are hammering Labour, but we all know the reason for that is that they need disaffected Tory voters in the home county swing seats. It's no different from the way Labour can't form a sensible Brexit policy without alienating their core northern gammon support.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1197543293858516992[/TWEET]

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not favouring any party, but just an indication of the sort of representation the common man gets from the Tory party...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50501097

I understand there are probably precedence for these sort of things, but seriously, take a human stance rather than a corporate government one. These people had their child mown down by the wife of a diplomat, who then ****ed off out of the country, leaving them to suffer!

The nasty party. Show some compassion...!

A party should always be judged by its actions, and not its promises - this tells you a lot about our current governing party.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's only Labour supporters who are saying the LibDems are more right of centre these days. Perhaps this is because the LibDems are hammering Labour, but we all know the reason for that is that they need disaffected Tory voters in the home county swing seats. It's no different from the way Labour can't form a sensible Brexit policy without alienating their core northern gammon support.

Is it? Their commitment to cancelling A50 and ignoring the referendum is not liberalism or democratic, it's autocratic and as such takes them out of the center ground altogether. The Lib Dems manifesto is reading closer to a Cameron one that it does a Blair one. They've even dropped electoral reform, a benchmark of the Liberals for decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here