Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans facing lengthy bans for racism

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hang on a minute - there’s one thing to chant self-deprecating songs about your own team/fans, we do it with the “you’re too ugly to be gay” number, there’s the other when a song/chant/insult is deliberately provocative and upsets people.

I thought they had been told to knock that chant on the head? Was I mistaken?

I get the self deprecating chant from 50 / 60 years ago where the demographics were very different today and many, in fact the majority, of Spurs supporters would have been from the local Jewish community.

I wouldn't mind betting that the majority of Spurs fans today are not of the Jewish faith and therefore the Y*** song is not appropriate.

I wasn't wrong!

The World Jewish Congress (WJC), Board of Deputies, Community Security Trust (CST) and the Jewish Leadership Council (JLC) have all called on the club to clamp down on fans using the word to describe themselves in match chants.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He was two rows in front of us and was vile.

I think a few people were about to lamp him before the stewards man handled him away

Great to hear it was dealt with at the time

It might be an idea to let the police know you witnessed this in order to hopefully secure a conviction

Out of interest was it a STH?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hang on a minute - there’s one thing to chant self-deprecating songs about your own team/fans, we do it with the “you’re too ugly to be gay” number, there’s the other when a song/chant/insult is deliberately provocative and upsets people.

Exactly. Whenever someone mention stuff like this there is always someone else who steps up with whataboutery. The trope being that there is no point doing anything about anything (no matter how bad) unless something is done about everything (no matter how trivial). That is what is known technically, by students of philosophy and semantics as a load of old bollocks.

Edit: on the matter of the 'yid' chants, there is the difficulty of steaming in and arresting, what, 20, 50, 100 (?) people. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but the fact it hasn't doesn't mean Brighton and Hove Albion are two faced for picking on one lone gobshite.

If the poster to whom I'm replying (second hand, via the saintly [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION]) had an entirely innocent agenda here, I apologise.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The yid stuff is pointless and out of date. There are plenty of other ways for Spurs fans to identify themselves

Any terrace reference to race, religion of sexuality, even if not in a derogatory way is out of date now. Time to move forward.

Still a place for a good swear though, especially at an offending linesman. Just keep it out of the family stand

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just cannot get my head round how someone in this day and age thinks they can get away with behaving like this in public.

In my (limited) experience of seeing people like this behave in such a way, alcohol normally makes them think they can. No idea about this example though.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
What was he doing/saying, out of interest ? Was he drunk ?

Just cannot get my head round how someone in this day and age thinks they can get away with behaving like this in public. There are some severely f*cked up indiviuals on the loose.

The guy who sits in front of me in the North told me that the offending bloke was thrown out for allegedly singing a song about the Korean War and for making monkey chants. I have to add I didn't hear any of this myself, so I am admittedly passing on gossip and unconfirmed speculation.

el punal

Exactly. Whenever someone mention stuff like this there is always someone else who steps up with whataboutery. The trope being that there is no point doing anything about anything (no matter how bad) unless something is done about everything (no matter how trivial). That is what is known technically, by students of philosophy and semantics as a load of old bollocks.

Edit: on the matter of the 'yid' chants, there is the difficulty of steaming in and arresting, what, 20, 50, 100 (?) people. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but the fact it hasn't doesn't mean Brighton and Hove Albion are two faced for picking on one lone gobshite.

If the poster to whom I'm replying (second hand, via the saintly [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION]) had an entirely innocent agenda here, I apologise.

I may live in Southampton but I’m definitely not “saintly”, no sirree Bob. In fact my wife thinks I’m a bit of a devil. Hell yeah! :cool:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That'll be the same ones having a go at him for not clapping the fans, obviously
Think they got bored of calling Marcos Alonso a murderer after an hour. Then perked up when Bong came on as they got to use the word Danny Baker replaces with tugboat every 2 seconds.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The guy who sits in front of me in the North told me that the offending bloke was thrown out for allegedly singing a song about the Korean War and for making monkey chants. I have to add I didn't hear any of this myself, so I am admittedly passing on gossip and unconfirmed speculation.

There's a football song about the Korean War?

Jan 30, 2008
Kick grasses out of football , who needs to be sitting next to a snitch who might get upset about something you said that they didn't like but wasnt in anyway racist or offensive but they might think it was, bunch of *****
regards
DF

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep. If I hear any loudmouth soab giving it too large in front of kids I will refer it to a steward. Whilst I expect a level of swearing at matches there is no need for certain words to be used in the earshot of little kids. This probably wouldn’t include the North Stand because if anyone takes their kids in there they know what to expect.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would the Gordon smith song be deemed racist today? The stupid scot ******* was pissed so he missed etc? I never sang it because frankly he’s one of my hero’s and bloody well did score (yes I do realise the chant was / is a term of endearment really but all the same)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep. If I hear any loudmouth soab giving it too large in front of kids I will refer it to a steward. Whilst I expect a level of swearing at matches there is no need for certain words to be used in the earshot of little kids. This probably wouldn’t include the North Stand because if anyone takes their kids in there they know what to expect.

And there lies the problem. Double standards - even where people have standards! The referees a nincanpoop, the referee’s...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Kick grasses out of football , who needs to be sitting next to a snitch who might get upset about something you said that they didn't like but wasnt in anyway racist or offensive but they might think it was, bunch of *****
regards
DF

Probably the wisest thing you've done in your entire life when you stopped supporting our club some years ago :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here