Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone season-long loan to Galatasaray

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In isolation Andone and Locadia out and (seemingly at least) giving Connelly a go all make sense and were some of the things I hoped would happen when Potter came to the club (although I'd personally have preferred Locadia and Ali J out, but there you go). However, the timing is AWFUL because we're necessarily a striker short of a full squad. We have taken a big risk. No way Murray will stay fit enough for 90 minutes of football. until the January window.

I don't think we would have done if we thought it a big risk?

I'm going to trust Potter on this one. I'm imagining he sees it as a bigger risk keeping them.

Regardless of playing more defensive football last season, we had a team spirit for 3.5 years that disappeared ending 2018 going into 2019. Many blame CH for that, but players ultimately bring about dressing room unrest - and that is equally a huge risk to results.

Can be the only logical reason why Potter would rather have less options and them out, than keep them sulking about the place to only be used if things get desperate.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yeah, currently having medical apparently.

They’re just checking how fast the blood rushes to his head, then we’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I guess since Anyone will remain on our books it'll be a few years before we get the real reason

Reckon it was all there to see in the little video clip of him being kicked by Leon Balogun. I would summise that he isn't much liked in the camp and this loan move is to stop one rotten apple spoiling the batch. Shrewd move IMHO.

In Potts we have faith...

TNBA

TTF

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Yeah, currently having medical apparently.

Florin : Jump on this horses leg 20 times, plant your boot studs into this pig carcass 50 times, punch the wall for 5 minutes, spin around, then throw some flares at those people outside.

Once you've passed, you can go out into the car park and kick as many cars as you like.

Welcome to Galatasaray :drink:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Reckon it was all there to see in the little video clip of him being kicked by Leon Balogun. I would summise that he isn't much liked in the camp and this loan move is to stop one rotten apple spoiling the batch. Shrewd move IMHO.

In Potts we have faith...

TNBA

TTF

Bernardo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reckon it was all there to see in the little video clip of him being kicked by Leon Balogun. I would summise that he isn't much liked in the camp
So you think Bernardo kicked him because he's not liked in the group? The reports said that he's good mates with Bernado, and it was a joke that went wrong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think we would have done if we thought it a big risk?

I'm going to trust Potter on this one. I'm imagining he sees it as a bigger risk keeping them.

Regardless of playing more defensive football last season, we had a team spirit for 3.5 years that disappeared ending 2018 going into 2019. Many blame CH for that, but players ultimately bring about dressing room unrest - and that is equally a huge risk to results.

Can be the only logical reason why Potter would rather have less options and them out, than keep them sulking about the place to only be used if things get desperate.

Yes, you're probably right on the bits I've highlighted. If both were unsettled and causing disruption (or just not fancied - Locadia was AWFUL when he came on against Saints, although perfectly decent in pre-season and against Watford) then a decision to play a focussed player promoted from the U23s and our new signing and clear the dressing room air would represent a postive course of action.

However, getting rid of both and bringing in a decent squad striker would seem less risky still, but we can't do that. Relying solely on maybe the veteran Murray or the young Connelly in the event of a couple of injuries or suspensions, with no option off the bench, is risky and one dimensonal. We may get through it unscathed, we may even do better (though no empirical way of checking this) but the decision seems to have been made reactively, in haste and, because they are both loans, simply putting the problem off for a year.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Getting away with something once, doesn't mean you'll get away with it then. If Glenn had picked up a serious injury, we'd have almost certainly gone down.

I think you're failing to see your overall point or you've completely missed mine.

We have more options now than we did in that season. Glenn can pick up an injury this time and we do have 2 forwards to step in..

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
We won’t be relying on Murray and Connelly. We will have Gross, Trossard, March, Propper and Maupay all having chances in this fluid and ever changing system once everyone is up to speed. May take a few more games yet though. Keep the faith.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, you're probably right on the bits I've highlighted. If both were unsettled and causing disruption (or just not fancied - Locadia was AWFUL when he came on against Saints, although perfectly decent in pre-season and against Watford) then a decision to play a focussed player promoted from the U23s and our new signing and clear the dressing room air would represent a postive course of action.

However, getting rid of both and bringing in a decent squad striker would seem less risky still, but we can't do that. Relying solely on maybe the veteran Murray or the young Connelly in the event of a couple of injuries or suspensions, with no option off the bench, is risky and one dimensonal. We may get through it unscathed, we may even do better (though no empirical way of checking this) but the decision seems to have been made reactively, in haste and, because they are both loans, simply putting the problem off for a year.

When you say reactively and haste, Potter has had them back from their break for what, 2 months, if anything this is a proactive move given he has been decisive.

In terms of putting off the problem, in the case of Locadia especially, his stock really can only rise from here and we may at least get something back from what we paid if he enhances his value back playing in Europe. Andone somewhat the same. Both players if they get more playing time may well be easier to sell next summer.

You might be right, but there are also positive ways of looking at this.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
My feeling is...

Strike 1-
Andone and agent hear of interest from Galatasary and demand more playing time, Potter says Andone will have as much of a chance as anyone else, Andone reacts badly.

Strike 2-
Potter challenges Andone on his disciplinary record post Saints, rather than apologise, Andone goes on the attack.

Strike 3-
Potter sits Andone and Bernardo down to talk about the kicking incident. Bernardo is apologetic. Andone goes on the attack.

In the meantime Potter sees enough in Connolly over the last few weeks to feel he has something to offer the first team. Appreciates Ali J's efforts against Rovers and in training and thinks he still has something to offer (and, perhaps, no loan bids for him incoming) and decides that we can cope without Andone.

It does seems a little strange, and the above is all guess work, but you can see why the manager might feel we're better off without him. And, of course, if he scores 15 goals, we can sell him for more than we bought him.

What I'm certain of is that both Bloom and Potter wouldn't OK this on a whim. They feel it's a positive move for the team over all.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Or if the footballing world knows that bridges have been burned with the parent club, then they'll be able to get them for a knock down price

When you say reactively and haste, Potter has had them back from their break for what, 2 months, if anything this is a proactive move given he has been decisive.

In terms of putting off the problem, in the case of Locadia especially, his stock really can only rise from here and we may at least get something back from what we paid if he enhances his value back playing in Europe. Andone somewhat the same. Both players if they get more playing time may well be easier to sell next summer.

You might be right, but there are also positive ways of looking at this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I'm certain of is that both Bloom and Potter wouldn't OK this on a whim. They feel it's a positive move for the team over all.
Yes I expect that's correct. And I'm very unhappy that it seems it hasn't worked out.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Didn’t the Turks want him before we landed him?

I seem to recall they tried to nip in before we signed him with a bid

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We won’t be relying on Murray and Connelly. We will have Gross, Trossard, March, Propper and Maupay all having chances in this fluid and ever changing system once everyone is up to speed. May take a few more games yet though. Keep the faith.
Is the correct answer. If you revolve the front 3 often enough then there is no need for an out and out striker. Whilst a puzzling decision to outsiders like us, it isn't like being left with just Murray and Hemed. The main concern is the pace we lose with him going but it is what it is. Not having the windows close at the same time is still a ridiculous idea, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here