Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So are we going to make another first team signing?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You mean our best CM Pröpper?

No.
Yes, but if he wanted out ? ???

Ajax interest has seemingly gone quiet but it was well documented in many places.

Unless we want to block the progression of Alzate etc. then there is more to all this Central Midfielder speculation than meets the eye. Someone seems to be off ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What if it is all arranged with Ajax on condition we get a replacement ? :shrug:

If a central midfielder is brought in, 1 of Stephens, Pröpper or Kayal is likely off ? ???

Kayal more likely surely ? Propper started both the 'final' friendlies (didn't look good v Brum but much better v Valencia I thought), also think he'll suit the more fluid 'shackles off' approach with people buzzing in front of him.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Ajax interest has seemingly gone quiet but it was well documented in many places.

Anything given you the impression he wanted to leave? He's a mainstay in the first team & playing well.

Yes Ajax were interested a while ago, but the question is more about whether we would want to sell. I very much doubt it, he's our best current CM.

Out of interest, would I be right in thinking that you don't rate Pröpper much? You almost sound hopeful. I think he's excellent, and our most improved player since we came up.

-

How about a swap with Derby, Locadia for Lawrence?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Kayal more likely surely ? Propper started both the 'final' friendlies (didn't look good v Brum but much better v Valencia I thought), also think he'll suit the more fluid 'shackles off' approach with people buzzing in front of him.
Yes, it could be Kayal to go.... no rumours at all of that yet...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anything given you the impression he wanted to leave? He's a mainstay in the first team & playing well.

Yes Ajax were interested a while ago, but the question is more about whether we would want to sell. I very much doubt it, he's our best current CM.

Out of interest, would I be right in thinking that you don't rate Pröpper much? You almost sound hopeful. I think he's excellent, and our most improved player since we came up.

-

How about a swap with Derby, Locadia for Lawrence?
I prefer Pröpper to Stephens, but haven't seen any interest in him from elsewhere.

The only thing I am hopeful for : That we give Alzate and Băluţă a chance and don't block their progress with 5 senior midfielders.

So - by extension - if we bring in a CM, I am hopeful that 1 of Pröpper, Kayal or Stephens goes...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes but when it’s a new signing, naturally you are expecting more, apparently the manager agreed as he didn’t make another PL appearance for some time.

He was a 3 amongst a lot of 4/10’s, IMO....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The less said about CH giving strikers a chance the better. Default to Murray after 45 mins, not ideal

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Unless we want to block the progression of Alzate etc. then there is more to all this Central Midfielder speculation than meets the eye. Someone seems to be off ?

Hmmm... 2 + 2 = a gazillion, then!?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Propper is on the cusp of turning 28, he is in the prime of his playing career, a current Dutch international and finally has some pace around him at the Albion. Ajax and Dutch football clearly rate the guy so it would be a major blow if we lost him.

Stephens - on the other hand - has turned 30. He has been a superb player for the Albion, a great signing BUT is not going to get any quicker and with VAR coming in I see pace becoming an increasingly valuable commodity. That said, he is a leader, a battle-hardened pro. I think if we are to progress beyond 15th spot Kayal (another brilliant signing) needs to goes, Stephens takes his place on the bench and we bring someone in who is faster in thought and deed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Although it's still possible to sell to European clubs after our window closes, why would we, when we can no longer get replacements? And if we were to but a replacement first (and have a surplus of players), then we're shafting ourselves as European buyers would have us over a barrel.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m really liking the way our team is coming together with a bit of strength in depth and flexibility re: formations and player positions but Stephens is standing out like a sore thumb as the weak link for me. I really hope we do sign a replacement for him.

Good squad player though and will maybe allow Kayal to move on for first team football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Although it's still possible to sell to European clubs after our window closes, why would we, when we can no longer get replacements? And if we were to but a replacement first (and have a surplus of players), then we're shafting ourselves as European buyers would have us over a barrel.

The deal would ideally have to be done tomorrow if a replacement were required for it to work from our point of view.

A deal for eg. Balogun could be done in a couple of weeks time.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The deal would ideally have to be done tomorrow if a replacement were required for it to work from our point of view.

A deal for eg. Balogun could be done in a couple of weeks time.

Hmmm... I've been thinking... if Balogun goes, then we would be left with 4 CB's, and that is NOT enough if we plan to play 3, IMHO...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here