Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey he's critised on here for not being a team player.
He's critised at Leicester X years ago, for not being a team player.

Yet we're to believe the 28 year old (in 2 days time) could return next season and be a team player.

Now where is that straw clutching image?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Yet we're to believe the 28 year old (in 2 days time) could return next season and be a team player.

No way he will be back at Brighton next year

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Or possibly those criticisms are bollocks?

Possibly he held onto the ball for a while because the manager at the time (understandably) wanted our wingers to buy time for our lumbering attackers to get into the box

Players who aren't team players don't have that work rate, they don't get mobbed when they scored goals like he did and they don't get the crowd adulation that he did, because it's blatantly obvious who give a **** and who doesn't

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No way he will be back at Brighton next year

There’s a chance.

The most likely scenario is Fulham buy him, but it might not work out like that. Look what happened with Andone. Bad injury and now a good chance that Galatasaray don’t want him. His form might be so good that someone else comes in for him, or so bad that Fulham don’t want him. We don’t know what division either side will be in

Lots could happen on that one.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Two way street, I imagine a fair few teammates have found Vardy an irritating, rat-faced little shit down the years, maybe Knocky just didn’t like him. Maybe we should show more love for one of our own rather than listening to the font of intelligent insight that is Vardy.

I agree with you. There is a fine line between showing exceptional individual skill and not being a team player.
There are obvious differences in this comparison, but Bobby Charlton thought George Best was extremely selfish and frustrating to play alongside!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’s a chance.

The most likely scenario is Fulham buy him, but it might not work out like that. Look what happened with Andone. Bad injury and now a good chance that Galatasaray don’t want him. His form might be so good that someone else comes in for him, or so bad that Fulham don’t want him. We don’t know what division either side will be in

Indeed. There was a good discussion on the Andone predicament with [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] on the Roar this week. While no one could see him coming back and he did somewhat burn his bridges, the injury changes things. They made the same (valid) point about The Greyhound. Who saw him in a Brighton shirt again? Answer; Graham Potter.

Knocky doesn't suit Potterball but 1) Potter would still need to be here at the end of the season and 2) Knocky might want to try and get his place back after a season on loan anyway and try to adapt (I don't think he can but he might not WANT to move for all we know).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Not really good enough for the PL unfortunately. Great championship player and was excellent for us but not a player you could place trust in this level. It’s no coincidence the daft sendings off started when he couldn’t get his own way on the pitch.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not really good enough for the PL unfortunately. Great championship player and was excellent for us but not a player you could place trust in this level. It’s no coincidence the daft sendings off started when he couldn’t get his own way on the pitch.
I can’t agree with not good enough for the PL. He took the piss out off Man Utd (home) Man City semi final man of the match Spurs at home last season if Hughton grew some balls he might have had a hatrick. Like any player in the squad in the first two seasons he’s had his moments but personally he was/is good enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

What like Stephens wasn’t good enough last season? I have no doubts that AK could play in a Potter team if he could be convinced to follow GPs tactics. He has more skill than nearly all the players in the current squad and non of them look out of place this season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What like Stephens wasn’t good enough last season? I have no doubts that AK could play in a Potter team if he could be convinced to follow GPs tactics. He has more skill than nearly all the players in the current squad and non of them look out of place this season.

Stephens was good enough last season though. AK isn’t suddenly going to be able to beat players he couldn’t last year. There is a decent reason both us and Leicester shipped him out (and why no one other than championship sides were interested in him this time).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stephens was good enough last season though. AK isn’t suddenly going to be able to beat players he couldn’t last year. There is a decent reason both us and Leicester shipped him out (and why no one other than championship sides were interested in him this time).

I agree re Stephens but there were plenty of threads about how he wasn’t up to it and could only pass backwards and sideways. We’ll have to agree to differ over AK, I am pretty sure it’s his attitude more than his ability

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There’s a chance.

Loan Deals have probably 3 main purposes usually.

1. To give younger or fringe players game time
2. To bring in Revenue on players that clubs want off their wage bill
3. To put individual players in the ''shop window''

I have an idea which one Tony fits into

Jimmy Grimble

I’m glad another of the football intelligentsia has come along to draw a definite line between Championship and Premier League standard with no in-between possible.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I’m glad another of the football intelligentsia has come along to draw a definite line between Championship and Premier League standard with no in-between possible.

Personally, I think he's got the quality to play in the Premier League. But he isn't consistent enough to be someone you rely on. He isn't consistent enough to be a regular starter. It's a very high standard to play in the Premier League and clubs at our level can't afford a player who is only reliable for a handful of goals and assists per season. Trossard has already proven the difference in quality between our old number 11 and our current one.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I think he's basically a Fulham player already and that he didn't sign permanently only due to a technicality - eg Fulham moving money around/expecting promotion this season.

Really don't think he'll be back under any circumstances, but we'll see I guess.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Personally, I think he's got the quality to play in the Premier League. But he isn't consistent enough to be someone you rely on. He isn't consistent enough to be a regular starter. It's a very high standard to play in the Premier League and clubs at our level can't afford a player who is only reliable for a handful of goals and assists per season. Trossard has already proven the difference in quality between our old number 11 and our current one.

This ... his skill in beating players is second to none , but its his decision making given that final pass that makes the difference . Unfortunately in this dept that is the lacking piece in the jigsaw from making him a 10 mill player at todays prices or a 40mill + player

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Absolutely this.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I agree re Stephens but there were plenty of threads about how he wasn’t up to it and could only pass backwards and sideways. We’ll have to agree to differ over AK, I am pretty sure it’s his attitude more than his ability

The problem there is what you are talking about is “opinions” on a football forum, not the opinion of the managers that have successively picked Stephens. Clearly our manager(s) know nothing.

As for Knockaert, yes it is ALL about attitude, which is why he was let go...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This ... his skill in beating players is second to none , but its his decision making given that final pass that makes the difference . Unfortunately in this dept that is the lacking piece in the jigsaw from making him a 10 mill player at todays prices or a 40mill + player

but that lack of good decision making is common among a number of our players , March probably being a prime example but he was retained. The decision was probably not made on football ability but a number of factors , March is HGP, possibly March does not have as good a sale value and biggest of all March not a 'disaster' waiting to happen. I certainly have been more excited by AKs play and goals.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here