Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray ........... ????

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amazing, isn't it? SB is a loyal Albion fan - generally pro-club in most things, and yet is on a relentless, crushingly-dull crusade to talk down the contribution and worth of the most important striker in the club's history.

Genuinely strange.

But I'm not talking about his past contributions, which are legendary.

I just don't see him having anything else to give, for the future.

I believe the previous managers over reliance on Murray cost him his job.
He held back Andone (who granted didn't help himself).
As well as being complicit to the appalling run through 2019.

Of course the entire team (and manager) have to take responsibility for that dross but with Murray offering nothing we can't be surprised if nothing is the end result.

If you stand still in this division you're going backwards, or in Murray's case offside.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's amazing, isn't it? SB is a loyal Albion fan - generally pro-club in most things, and yet is on a relentless, crushingly-dull crusade to talk down the contribution and worth of the most important striker in the club's history.

Genuinely strange.

To be fair to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], and he knows I jab at his opinions occasionally, but he hasn't got anything against Murray and does revere his achievements, this is about what Murray represents to our attacking ambitions of outright pace. I don't think he's ever talked down what Murray has achieved or his record, but with SB having ambitions of real fast attacking football, he doesn't see that with a continued use of Murray as a lone attacker, and even the most loyal fan of Murray can't deny that. I would still play him when tactically needed, perhaps even first choice if no one else crops up, but I know that means we won't carry a threat of pace to the centre halves.

D

Deleted member 2719

I am more worried that Murray is ahead of them all, is Potter already working his magic?

Or has Glenn been given a handicap start?

Attachments

• Murray 2.PNG
    Murray 2.PNG
    869.3 KB · Views: 516

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Hemed, Schelotto, Suttner and the rest will all be training. At moment they are contracted to the Albion. . They might even play some pre season friendlies.
They all did last season.(and so did Baldock, richie towell and the like). They are still all likely to be loaned out or sold.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The numbers on kit are totally meaningless at this stage - the same as every year.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

except they wouldn't have been quite so legendary if you'd had your way though SB because he wouldn't have played in the last 2 seasons because you've been very clear in both 17/18 and 18/19 that we should have bought a more expensive (they cost a lot and we don't spend enough is your mantra) or a better striker to replace him and he should be standing alongside Bruno as a Senior Development Coach or something. . .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I just don't see him having anything else to give, for the future.

I believe the previous managers over reliance on Murray cost him his job.
He held back Andone (who granted didn't help himself).
As well as being complicit to the appalling run through 2019.

Of course the entire team (and manager) have to take responsibility for that dross but with Murray offering nothing we can't be surprised if nothing is the end result.

If you stand still in this division you're going backwards, or in Murray's case offside.
14 more goals in all competitions to be our joint highest goalscorer of all time.

He HAS to be motivated.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He may be getting on and we may have to use him more sparingly, but he has PL nouce and he has the ability to know what to do and when to do it, unless we sign a PL experienced striker or a top name from abroad (unlikely) we will need Glenn's experience for this season, hoping Locadia will be able to step up now he has had some time to settle in and adjust.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
PS: Hemed, Schelotto, Suttner and the rest will all be training. At moment they are contracted to the Albion. . They might even play some pre season friendlies.
They all did last season.(and so did Baldock, richie towell and the like). They are still all likely to be loaned out or sold.

It’s all about being in the shop window.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
except they wouldn't have been quite so legendary if you'd had your way though SB because he wouldn't have played in the last 2 seasons because you've been very clear in both 17/18 and 18/19 that we should have bought a more expensive (they cost a lot and we don't spend enough is your mantra) or a better striker to replace him and he should be standing alongside Bruno as a Senior Development Coach or something. . .

To be fair Chailey, we have as a club been desperate to sign a striker that could add pace and dynamism to our front line. I seem to remember the start of 17/18 we were so desperate it got to the final moments of the transfer window to land a striker, then we panicked again in the January. So that opinion is not just [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], that has been shared by the club. I don't believe either Locadia or Andone have been signed as support strikers, but Glenn has simply kept them out.

What Stat cannot deny, in view of failing to sign another striker, and Locadia failing to impress in the role, Murray has stepped up and blown away all expectations.

But that doesn't mean to say we shouldn't still be striving for a better option than him still.

Murray has defied the logic of Palace getting rid of him, Bournemouth getting rid of him and proven to be a relegation saving striker for this side. I love him to bits, but if we are to progress, we're not going anywhere fast with him still leading the line, literally.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What Stat cannot deny, in view of failing to sign another striker, and Locadia failing to impress in the role, Murray has stepped up and blown away all expectations.

I think he does but hey. . And not sure anyone would question replacing a 36 year old striker. Certainly not me. But SB has said about next season, which is a bit harsh tbh, that the idea of GM not just leading the line (unlikely) but merely "near the first team" - presumably named in the squad i guess - spells absolute doom (again i guess - because everything that was wrong with last season was down to hapless Hughton picking him there too) .

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
To be fair Chailey, we have as a club been desperate to sign a striker that could add pace and dynamism to our front line. I seem to remember the start of 17/18 we were so desperate it got to the final moments of the transfer window to land a striker, then we panicked again in the January. So that opinion is not just [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], that has been shared by the club. I don't believe either Locadia or Andone have been signed as support strikers, but Glenn has simply kept them out.

But that doesn't mean to say we shouldn't still be striving for a better option than him still.

Murray has defied the logic of Palace getting rid of him, Bournemouth getting rid of him and proven to be a relegation saving striker for this side. I love him to bits, but if we are to progress, we're not going anywhere fast with him still leading the line, literally.

I don’t think there is anyone on this thread claiming that they would be happy if Murray was the number one choice who started every game just that you don’t just bin off your top scorer thinking he has nothing further to offer (been here before with Murray haven’t we)

This is what SB is suggesting with his ‘I just don't see him having anything else to give, for the future’ comment

That is a crazy and just not the reality is it. Whilst we would all love a younger proven striker to come in and be first choice let’s just say the clubs record in that regard is not great so perhaps it would be sensible to retain and use a proven goal scorer at this level. That’s not halting progress just sensible management

I am sure Potter will see the quality in Murray and we will see him play another important (although less frequent) role in our team

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'm sure we all luv and respect sir glen, but his pace(?) and relative workrate did mean we dropped ever deeper as last season ground on.
No chance of the wizards much vaunted full press with glen starting up top

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you going to join in or what? It's exhausting trying to argue on your behalf...

Like everyone else I genuinely haven't got anything new to say.

Talk of 'well we'd love a younger proven striker to come in' just proves how ridiculous opinions are.

The club bought in a young proven striker and the manager refused to play him, favouring a completely ineffectual lumbering unit who offered 1 moment (from really shitehouse defending) through the last half of the season.

The 'gradually phased out' season posters are clinging onto should have been last season.

Now the hope seems to be Murray will drag even more new signings down to his level.

With that in mind it's probably best I don't join in. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here