Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Out of interest, is that based on the 2017/18 figures or is there a more uptodate table?

2017/18 as 2018/19 figures won’t be released for months. However, of the clubs promoted for 2018/19 Wolves and Fulham both had bigger budgets than the Albion and Cardiff smaller is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We've surely done this thread to death.
Let us wish C.H. all the best in what ever he wishes for and look forward to an exciting new regime under our highly rated new manager.

We have, but as long as we get unnecessary ‘snipes’ in his direction, myself and others will continue to defend one of the clubs most successful ever managers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure what the fuss is about, people's opinions differ.

The majority of our fanbase was/is pro-Hughton, though some may have had a wobble during the Bournemouth and Cardiff period, me included.

There has always been a louder minority who wanted him out for a long time, and feel vindicated for events that transpired. They have remained consistent at least.

Out of interest, when you say the majority of the fanbase was/is pro Hughton, are you suggesting that the majority didn't want him to leave? If so, how are you arriving at that?

My view is that Hughton is a man of integrity and I wish him no ill but that from the Brighton perspective, it had run it's course. And let's not forget that it was also the coaching team that should bear some of the responsibility.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why don't we do away with playing matches and just let the clubs make a bid for how much their budget is prior to the season starting.
It would save an awful lot of faffing about playing silly games and then the league table could be produced pronto, and the champions and relegation could all be settled without a ball being kicked!:clap::wink::thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We have, but as long as we get unnecessary ‘snipes’ in his direction, myself and others will continue to defend one of the clubs most successful ever managers.

Just to be clear, I'm not sniping at Hughton the man, I'm not sure anyone is. You need to seperate that from his coaching.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not sure what the fuss is about, people's opinions differ.

The majority of our fanbase was/is pro-Hughton, though some may have had a wobble during the Bournemouth and Cardiff period, me included.

There has always been a louder minority who wanted him out for a long time, and feel vindicated for events that transpired. They have remained consistent at least.

Yep, fully understand that - I said a lot last season that we had to see the season out with Hughton in charge and then see what happens! I think a change was probably the right thing for all.

However, what I do object to is all the snidey little digs and ridicule. Hughton does not deserve that, and I think those that do it should be ashamed of themselves...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out of interest, when you say the majority of the fanbase was/is pro Hughton, are you suggesting that the majority didn't want him to leave? If so, how are you arriving at that?

My view is that Hughton is a man of integrity and I wish him no ill but that from the Brighton perspective, it had run it's course. And let's not forget that it was also the coaching team that should bear some of the responsibility.

I think this shows the perils of a simplistic pro/anti dichotomy.

I suspect there are large swathes of the fanbase that are disappointed he has gone - some because he is a nice guy, some because he kept us up despite the constraints he worked under, some because they don't like the idea of teams sacking managers just because things aren't going well right now, some just because they are sympathetic to anyone who loses a job.
I suspect there are large(r) swathes of the fanbase that are indifferent. They didn't want him to go, ergo are not 'anti-hughton', but aren't going to criticise the club for it either; maybe because they don't feel an ownership or feel they are the gatekeepers whom the owners need to report to and justify everything, some because they are more of a casual fan.
There's probably a smaller number of fans who recognised that Hughton was working at the limits of what he could do with what he had, and that if the club wanted to push on would need to either change him or increase investment and felt that more investment should have been the path we took.

When living in an either/or world, they would all have to fall under 'pro-hughton'.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yet you feel you can partially comment on 3 months, when a final league position is based over a whole season.

I am not being difficult but there seems to be a number of supporters, who are distorting the facts as their way of highlighting that Hughton was poor/ineffective.

Facts IMO:
- good league position prior to Xmas, with some hard fought victories
-changed formation, which failed and never regained form.
- really poor performances in Feb and March
- scrambled and successfully survived.

Perhaps the change in formation was ill prepared? If there was such a massive change in how the team was set up/played perhaps there should have been a bit more training/coaching before rolling it out? If it wasn't working resort back to plan A. Personally I saw very little change, we nearly always had a minimum of 8 or 9 men behind the ball-perhaps I was too inebriated?

Really poor performances in February and March? We were awful way more than 2 months. Some say the 3 wins in a row were lucky-'fortunate' for me rather than lucky. Go back and look at our games before Christmas. We were not very good at all. In fact we were bloody awful despite the points tally.

I'm thankful that the likes of Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff were even worse than we were-and we couldn't even beat two of them when we most needed to. Our away performances for 2 seasons was abysmal and most of us went to games resigned to watching us lose and we rarely saw different.

Good in The Championship, got us promoted and we are all grateful for that.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep, fully understand that - I said a lot last season that we had to see the season out with Hughton in charge and then see what happens! I think a change was probably the right thing for all.

However, what I do object to is all the snidey little digs and ridicule. Hughton does not deserve that, and I think those that do it should be ashamed of themselves...
Ashamed for having a different opinion to you?

Many have already said that their comments are about Hughton's coaching and nothing to do with Hughton the man.

I am not ashamed for thinking that we were a poorly coached side last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just to be clear, I'm not sniping at Hughton the man, I'm not sure anyone is. You need to seperate that from his coaching.

Brilliant defensive coach in my mind, and did well with what he had at his disposal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Many have already said that their comments are about Hughton's coaching and nothing to do with Hughton the man.

Are you deliberately missing the point, it's not about whether he is/was a good coach or not, but about some of the snidey, nasty things that have been said about him and his ability to coach since he left us. I don't like that sort of thing and feel it a shame that people have to stoop to effectively name calling.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Perhaps the change in formation was ill prepared? If there was such a massive change in how the team was set up/played perhaps there should have been a bit more training/coaching before rolling it out? If it wasn't working resort back to plan A. Personally I saw very little change, we nearly always had a minimum of 8 or 9 men behind the ball-perhaps I was too inebriated?

Really poor performances in February and March? We were awful way more than 2 months. Some say the 3 wins in a row were lucky-'fortunate' for me rather than lucky. Go back and look at our games before Christmas. We were not very good at all. In fact we were bloody awful despite the points tally.

I'm thankful that the likes of Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff were even worse than we were-and we couldn't even beat two of them when we most needed to. Our away performances for 2 seasons was abysmal and most of us went to games resigned to watching us lose and we rarely saw different.

Good in The Championship, got us promoted and we are all grateful for that.

Interesting points.

Perhaps, all very hypothetical, he wanted to be more expansive, hence the playing of Locadia which to me was a 4-3-3 with the ball 4-5-1 without.

Wins are wins, whether people they are fortuitous or not. Plenty of things went against us as well.

I’m also thankful for worse teams as we were poor for a spell, though of course some of that could be levied at the absence of Gross, with no decent cover.

He was good in the Championship, I would also argue that we shouldn’t underestimate the achievement in surviving in the PL either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which game was it that the team leaving the field was the Championship side + Ryan.

Results aside I wouldn't be surprised if that was the final knell.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Is it fair to say that the "players and manager were [not trying] ...and were taking the piss. Every f.ucking week."

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Which game was it that the team leaving the field was the Championship side + Ryan.

Wolves and it was a good result as well.

But as well as Hughton, (who was always reported as having the final say), IMO it doesn’t say an awful lot for the recruitment options he was presented with.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

At Wolves only Izquierdo and Gross of the non-Championship team were left on the field at the end IIRC but I don't think there was a game completed with 100% of the promotion team on the field at the end. Happy to be corrected though.

There was an increasing reliance on the Championship players to grind out results towards the end though, no doubt about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here