Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - the staying up tracker - season 2019-2020 Game 38 UPDATE

You're both right.

In 2018/19 we were on 8 points from 8 games, we then beat Newcastle (a) and Wolves (h) to stand on 14 points from 10 games.

Fair play Dazzer

We got lucky in three games on the trot at this time last season, remind me how much luck we have had so far this season?

Did we look like we belonged in this division at any stage last season? How often have we looked like we don’t belong this season

In the words of MA mark 1 “Keep the faith”

Good defending isn’t down to luck though, it’s about how a manager builds a system and shape, and how comfortable the players are in that shape

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interestingly though, if we don't beat Everton this will be our WORST start since we were promoted, as measured at the 10 game mark.

2017/18 - 12 points
2018/19 - 14 points
2019/20 - 9, 10 or 12 points
The defensive record is better though. For all our 'defensive frailties' this season, we have conceded fewer goals.

Good defending isn’t down to luck though, it’s about how a manager builds a system and shape, and how comfortable the players are in that shape
The defensive record is still better though. For all our 'defensive frailties' this season, we have conceded fewer goals..............

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Interestingly though, if we don't beat Everton this will be our WORST start since we were promoted, as measured at the 10 game mark.

2017/18 - 12 points
2018/19 - 14 points
2019/20 - 9, 10 or 12 points

buzz kill, bozza, buzz kill

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I can only assume you weren’t at this game if you think it was all about good defending, we got very very very lucky

Hughton’s post match comments could have applied to most games last season too

"We are not playing at our best, nowhere near. We have players who are not at their level, we are not good on the ball but we are defending really well." ( again suggesting that other teams were better than us, as he did most games)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45924059

I find it hard to believe that any fan is pining for the way we played last season :shrug:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can only assume you weren’t at this game if you think it was all about good defending, we got very very very lucky

Hughton’s post match comments could have applied to most games last season too

"We are not playing at our best, nowhere near. We have players who are not at their level, we are not good on the ball but we are defending really well." ( again suggesting that other teams were better than us, as he did most games)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45924059

I find it hard to believe that any fan is pining for the way we played last season :shrug:

Lucky v Wolves, lucky v Newcastle (I bumped into that nice Mr Barber at the airport and suggested we’d robbed them of at least a point.....he grinned and said ‘we were good defensively’)

We’re a few points and places below where our play suggests we should be I reckon. Think we’ll be mid-table after 20 games and end up scraping into the top 10.

There, I said it.

Three clean sheets in a row in Premiership games at this point last season and some Brighton fans believe that was all down to “luck”. Over 3 games. Nothing to do with good defending

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Three clean sheets in a row in Premiership games at this point last season and some Brighton fans believe that was all down to “luck”. Over 3 games. Nothing to do with good defending

The defending was magnificent, no argument there. It needed very large slices of luck to keep a clean sheet as well. Relying on sticking everyone behind the ball in the Premier League is likely to end up in conceding most games though, which we did for a large part of the season. Who has said those three wins were “all” down to luck btw? Did you not think we got a bit lucky in them?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The defending was magnificent, no argument there. It needed very large slices of luck to keep a clean sheet as well. Relying on sticking everyone behind the ball in the Premier League is likely to end up in conceding most games though, which we did for a large part of the season. Who has said those three wins were “all” down to luck btw? Did you not think we got a bit lucky in them?

Got what we deserved.
We must have attacked at least three times [emoji6].

I’m not into bad luck/good luck.

Saturday was stupidity and poor defending at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Got what we deserved.
We must have attacked at least three times [emoji6].

I’m not into bad luck/good luck.

Saturday was stupidity and poor defending at the end.

Poor defending is the reason for most goals being conceded isn’t it? Please don’t try and sell me the fact that this didn’t happen under Hughton :wink:

Late goals also happened last season..Spurs away?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm really hoping that the squad can iron out the mistakes/lapses of concentration as they are costing us points at the moment. Taking the "luck" element out of it.

If we don't then we will be one of those teams who were too good to go down, but ultimately did.

I think it will be touch and go if we stay up, I know that sounds weird based on how were playing but it could depend on who we get in Jan.
We either need to get a new striker in or an apologetic, rejuvenated Andone to take some of the heat off Maupay as it's clear that Murray will only be called upon in an emergency.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It means at the start of the season they were predicting we'd be 17th on 38 points.
Now they're predicting we'll be 16th on 41 points.
You have not been charged for this.

And the last two columns? I can’t afford to be charged for any response

The last 3 columns show :
- projected points above original prediction
- current points above original prediction
- points needed to hit current prediction

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poor defending is the reason for most goals being conceded isn’t it? Please don’t try and sell me the fact that this didn’t happen under Hughton :wink:

Late goals also happened last season..Spurs away?

It did.... we conceded 5 of them vs Bournemouth [emoji35]
At home [emoji35]

But, Champions League final bound Spurs
Vs.
Potential PL strugglers Villa

[emoji2]

I thought the final substitution was wrong on Saturday and effectively destroyed any defensive shape.

As soon as you are reliant on players breaking (particularly with 10 men), inevitably they leave a hole behind them., which as soon as we smacked the ball clear for Solly to chase, we were overloaded. Those final minutes called for discipline, rather than blind ambition IMO......

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It did.... we conceded 5 of them vs Bournemouth [emoji35]
At home [emoji35]

But, Champions League final bound Spurs
Vs.
Potential PL strugglers Villa

[emoji2]

I thought the final substitution was wrong on Saturday and effectively destroyed any defensive shape.

As soon as you are reliant on players breaking (particularly with 10 men), inevitably they leave a hole behind them., which as soon as we smacked the ball clear for Solly to chase, we were overloaded. Those final minutes called for discipline, rather than blind ambition IMO......

Fair comments!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A long over due update. Missed a great chance to catch up on Saturday, but an equally great one presents itself this Saturday. Beat Everton and we go level, and note we are still only 3 pints behind Europe as well, which highlights how on the fence our season is at the moment. It feels like it could go either way.

We really should have more points and be higher in the table, but we are a lot less predictable this season so surely that works both ways and we may do better than we think in that difficult November run?

Attachments

• NSC Graph 9.png
    NSC Graph 9.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 546
  • NSC FIxtures 9.png
    NSC FIxtures 9.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 559

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A quick update for once, cant think why! :)

We are now back on par, and still only 3 points off Europe. It's happening, it's happening...

Attachments

• NSC Fixtures 10.png
    NSC Fixtures 10.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 549
  • NSC Graph 10.png
    NSC Graph 10.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 537

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also, I reckon we are 3 points better off against the same opponents compared to last year. (I have compared the Aston Villa result to Cardiff)

Yes I think you’re right. Although comparing Cardiff to Villa is a little bit like comparing one dog turd with another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here