Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NEW: Barber on Hughton, and our big signings.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sensible chaps - both of them.
I know Barber has his critics on here - not least for the "customers" quote from a few years ago but he does sound like a level headed bloke. Interesting that he is with the team and manager the night before away matches just in case Chris or the team need anything. I don't know if this is normal (very possibly it is) but it does seem to be covering all bases. I think our management set up is pretty good.

I read it and was reassured we are in good hands.

On the players settling in bit:
- how often do players come to life in their second season.
- Players do "fail", and then move on to success - Daley Blind from Manure to Ajax, for example. Angel Di Maria from Manure to PSG.
- Alexis Sanchez hasn't exactly set the world alight at Manure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not that difficult. I'm sure TB, PB and CH will have (or are about to have) a long sit down and very full and clinical analysis of what went well, what didn't go well and what needs to be improved next season - TB/PB will then be using that (or have used it) to make a call on whether CH is ready/willing/capable of being part of those changes. Nature of that PB comms indicates they've done it already, CH is staying and plans are in place or being formulated for the actions needed between now and next season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We've won nine games this season which is the same as last season. Wins are very hard to come by in the Premier League so draws have to make up the points to survive.
That’s not really the point I take offence to fans calling other fans thickos for having an opinion. For the record I agree the PL is a tough league probably the toughest in the world. It doesn’t help when our players are playing scared they didn’t even look like they were enjoying their football until the Arsenal game when we could play with freedom and guess what we actually looked like a capable football team. It can only be down to the manager. First point away to the top six and we didn’t camp in our own half, Hughton’s tactics don’t really work that well as we end up losing anyway. Negative comments from fans about the manger are justified he needs to cop himself on next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s not really the point I take offence to fans calling other fans thickos for having an opinion. For the record I agree the PL is a tough league probably the toughest in the world. It doesn’t help when our players are playing scared they didn’t even look like they were enjoying their football until the Arsenal game when we could play with freedom and guess what we actually looked like a capable football team. It can only be down to the manager. First point away to the top six and we didn’t camp in our own half, Hughton’s tactics don’t really work that well as we end up losing anyway. Negative comments from fans about the manger are justified he needs to cop himself on next season.

I don't call other fans thickos but negativity breeds negativity. How many times have I read on Nsc, I want Hughton out and so do all my mates.
Being a football fan involves taking the bad with the good, and heaven knows I've seen enough of both since 1961.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't call other fans thickos but negativity breeds negativity. How many times have I read on Nsc, I want Hughton out and so do all my mates.
Being a football fan involves taking the bad with the good, and heaven knows I've seen enough of both since 1961.
We just need to be a bit braver next season and hopefully we will see an improvement. Anti football is not very entertaining and I believe we are better than that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

To be honest, this rubbish about people who want Hughton being "thickos" is just pure ignorance. Hopefully no one on this board is here to support Hughton specifically. We all support the club. Some people, arguably very conservative and pragmatic people, want Hughton to stay. Other fans who support the club think he's taken us as far as he can and that we will continue to be underwhelmed by the football our team plays whilst he's the manager. Whichever side you fall on doesn't make you negative per se, it just means that your view of who can improve our football club as manager differs. That's a perfectly reasonable differing viewpoint.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure CH is in a position of as much strength as some people on here are saying.

We've just had a couple of backs to the wall draws and our last two wins have been a 77th minute 1-0 against Huddersfield and a worldy which beat Palace. Yes we've made it over the line and CH deserves to stay, but if we lose the first 3 games of next season, I wonder how much of this article will still be relevant.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not that difficult. I'm sure TB, PB and CH will have (or are about to have) a long sit down and very full and clinical analysis of what went well, what didn't go well and what needs to be improved next season - TB/PB will then be using that (or have used it) to make a call on whether CH is ready/willing/capable of being part of those changes. Nature of that PB comms indicates they've done it already, CH is staying and plans are in place or being formulated for the actions needed between now and next season.

This.

Looks to me like CH is staying at the club but there is a tacit admission that a few things haven't worked out and one or two need to change. So long as we change those things and change them effectively it should be a blueprint for going forwards.

It's not a massively entertaining or revealing read but it says enough and it's certainly not the CEO's job to be entertaining!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Though I agree with this too. One of the things I hope we've agreed to change is our approach to big games. Against United we closed them down and pressed high, attacking with vigour - and won. Against Arsenal home and away we gave it a go and drew both games. Against Everton and against Palace at home we played without fear - and won. As soon we we started sitting back though? Defeat. Way too deep at home to Southampton. Great battling defensive performances at Liverpool and Spurs but defeats in both. Calmly taken to bits at Chelsea by a side that struggled at Cardiff in their previous game. Great battling defensive performance in the semi, which we lost 1-0.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Getting bums on seats doesn’t appear to be a problem however well or poorly the team are playing. They have a season ticket waiting list and season ticket holders taking an annual gamble as to what they will be getting dished up the following season. Barber hasn’t a problem keeping his job on that score. One could question his motivation in improving the entertainment levels for his customers - if he and TB are happy just staying in the division then CH is safe as houses.
It would be nice to have an idea of their longer term thinking on the entertainment stakes.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Getting bums on seats doesn’t appear to be a problem however well or poorly the team are playing. They have a season ticket waiting list and season ticket holders taking an annual gamble as to what they will be getting dished up the following season. Barber hasn’t a problem keeping his job on that score. One could question his motivation in improving the entertainment levels for his customers - if he and TB are happy just staying in the division then CH is safe as houses.
It would be nice to have an idea of their longer term thinking on the entertainment stakes.

I think the motivation in improving entertainment is because Tony is a football fan and wants to see his team play entertaining football. If it was just about business then Tony wouldn't have invested hundreds of millions into the club.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think the approach to giving signings time to settle in is a good one. It's easy to forget that we're signing lads in their early to mid-20s and asking them to adapt to a new country, culture, often a new language, team-mates and playing style. Like any cross-section of the population, they will have a range of personality types from the happy-go-lucky type of Bissouma who appears to be able to relaxed wherever he is to more reserved and potentially, more change averse people like Ali appears to be. The players don't choose how much they are sold for so the argument that "for £17 million he should be able to adapt quickly" is a weak one imo.
Maybe the recruitment team should try to assess how a player will adapt but given the variables, that is an incredibly difficult call to make. And given we appear to be planning for the long term, it may not be the biggest factor in their decision making anyway. So, personally, I'm pleased the club isn't making quick judgements on our signings. It gives me confidence that they are giving them every opportunity to demonstrate their ability before making an informed decision on whether they should stay or go.

Agreed - Ali J has a 5 year deal so hopefully in a couple of years we'll see the best of him

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You might be right on this, but PB in that recent article where he spoke of the club trying to find a new 'branding' (when claiming staying in the PL is hardly inspirational) indicated that the board have their meeting as soon as the season is over, which points to the meeting not having taken place yet. That said, PB's tone and comments do appear to suggest that a decision has already been made on next season's manager, and it's going to be CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here