Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm not convinced this is the case at all.

First there are reasons to stay here, and they have nothing to do with "loyalty". As a club we, maybe uniquely, have everything a young manager could want. Top facilities, top scouting and recruitment, a great city to live in, a great Chairman, CEO and DoF all supporting the manager, with patience, a collective vision, a progressive mindset and approach to elite sport, and a deep understanding of the importance not just of resources but also of people (something I think GP shares).

This is a good place to be, and that is a lot to throw away in favor of a job which, usually, involves ownership with short term thinking, impatience, an overreliance on financial resources, and where results are expected more than appreciated.

He's also said a number of times, he does not have a career/development plan. He doesn't look at things that way. He doesn't think too far ahead, he just takes things as they come. I'm sure he would be flattered to be of interest to the big clubs, but I'm not sure he would feel the need to go and do it any time soon, not when he is part way through a project already, one which is proving successful, his players are improving and learning, he is improving and learning.

It's not about loyalty, but I do think the way we (him and the club) operate is exactly the way he wants to operate. I could be wrong, but he strikes me as the kind of person who prefers the challenge of making the best of what you have, rather than having abundance giving automatic results. I think he'd rather make history with a club breaking new ground, than ride on the coattails of clubs who have already been there and done it.

I'm not saying he will never take a bigger job, and I could be thinking wishfully here, but I can see so many very good reasons why staying here in the long term would be appealing, and so many reasons why taking a big club job could be viewed as a potential wrong turn. Especially while he is so young, and especially while our project has so much further to go.

I reserve the right to be wrong about all of the above, but it's what I think.

Pretty much everything you say here is true.
There’s almost a uniquely strong case for an ambitious and coveted manager to stay at this club.
But they do tend to jump ship, when a big club comes knocking.
There’s a wide range of clubs from all over who might be interested in Potter.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Celtic are taking a look.
I think the mega clubs would want to see quite a bit more, before appointing him though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Pretty much everything you say here is true.
There’s almost a uniquely strong case for an ambitious and coveted manager to stay at this club.
But they do tend to jump ship, when a big club comes knocking.
There’s a wide range of clubs from all over who might be interested in Potter.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Celtic are taking a look.
I think the mega clubs would want to see quite a bit more, before appointing him though.
You would be insane to leave the PL for Celtic.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You would be insane to leave the PL for Celtic.

I agree.
But, a bit like Newcastle, there’s this weird perception that it’s a massive club.
Many a manager has gone to a club like that thinking they can be the one to turn it around.
Celtic is particularly mental at the moment, so we are probably safe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Posters are delusional if they think Potter would be in contention for the Manchester job.

Nothing to do with GPott - everything to do with the hierachy at Old Trafford being completely incapable of making the right decision.
Same goes for North London, blue Liverpool and countless other clubs.

Utd will end up the Pochitino (sp).
They might even have time to squeeze in another vanity project if they bin off OGS soon enough, before doing what they should have done 2 years ago.

Anyone else chasing a manager will be chasing a quick fix.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He will finish the project here. He don't appear to be money motivated and, from his interviews, he values good honest people around him in his job.

We are very lucky to have him. Will be a sad day when he goes, but it wouldn't suprise me if we already have a replacement on radar.

I think I remember reading/watching something about us keeping tabs on him for 4/5 years before we hired him?

It would be a gross dereliction of duty on Dan Ashworth's part if he didn't have a list of possible replacements, so I'm pretty sure one exists.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This - there is no way in the world TB and PB won’t already have a clear succession plan in place with a number of potential targets. FWIW my sense is GP will be here a while yet - he needs us to ‘do something’ to properly enhance and cement his reputation.

Unfortunately, it increasingly appears to the outside football world that he has 'done something'. I'm with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on this, the moment I'm concerned about is when the season ends. If he's going upwards, it'll be on his terms, and he needs time to have his ideas inculcated.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Potter's style is inherently unsuited to international management. He needs players who he can drill and form into a unit, for which you need hours and hours with them on the training ground. It arguably took him 18 months to form this Brighton side properly as he'd like it, and that's training for 75% of that time solidly. You don't get that luxury in international football, the players come together for maybe 18-20 days a year (plus an extra month at a tournament if you're lucky), there isn't the time to do that (plus the player turnover is higher). International football requires an "inspirational coach" type manager who basically drills them hard for a few days then gets them to play their own game, which is what Southgate (much as I hate to give hi too much credit, the Dunk-shunning Palace ****) has done.

These are all sensible (and true) points. But equally I think he’ll be the standout candidate when Southgate steps down after Qatar, and how many English born managers have turned down the job? For someone who was an average player, he may be drawn to being manager of his country (and a big pay rise), especially if, based on his current trajectory, there becomes a public clamour for him (and who else would be on the FA list now that’s English - he’d be streets ahead of everyone). He’s like a ‘better Southgate’ - all the same strengths in people management but with far better tactical acumen, and the ability to change games during the match. I really hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but I’ve been convinced for a while that he will at least be offered it.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I recall TB in a rare comment when things were going slightly worse then great saying that GP had some personal problems. This may be 2+2=5 but I also recall that there was at least some speculation that he was happy in West Wales and that nearest and dearest was not overly enthusiastic about uprooting again having spent many happy years in deepest Sweden.

Personal reasons are rarely mentioned in the rarified world of excessive salaries, bloated egos, and quick fix solutions, but GP seems to one of a kind who can balance life outside football with a wider perspective. My instinct is that he knows what he has, is not keen to rock the personal boat with yet another move, and gets the long game. He is relatively young, and can see no reason to suppose he wont be here for a good few years yet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Potter is likely to stay for a few more years yet because he will want to repay the loyalty that Bloom showed him when he gave both him and his coaching team the added security of a six year deal. [MENTION=42592]Here'sWally[/MENTION] has very eloquently laid out plenty more reasons a few posts above.

However.......
During the next 12 months Manchester United will very likely sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær.
When that happens there will be a very good chance that they may come in for Potter. (yes, crazy as that sounds)
If that happens, it will be a massive call by Potter to decline the job.

Interesting times ahead.

To work with the Glazers or Bloom ..... difficult choice !

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The cynic in me suggests that the next Man U manager will be, for all intents and purposes, appointed by Ronaldo. Certainly approved by him

If that's that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo became player manager.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Posters are delusional if they think Potter would be in contention for the Manchester job.

Nothing to do with GPott - everything to do with the hierachy at Old Trafford being completely incapable of making the right decision.
Same goes for North London, blue Liverpool and countless other clubs.

Utd will end up the Pochitino (sp).
They might even have time to squeeze in another vanity project if they bin off OGS soon enough, before doing what they should have done 2 years ago.

Anyone else chasing a manager will be chasing a quick fix.
Indeed. Laughable to think United will go for anything but a quick fix.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Dick Knight appointed Slade, not Bloom

I thought he only had a contract until the summer, but because of his success it would have been very harsh not to offer a new contract. I always thought that was why he didn't last long as it wasn't really a Bloom appointment.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree.
But, a bit like Newcastle, there’s this weird perception that it’s a massive club.
Many a manager has gone to a club like that thinking they can be the one to turn it around.
Celtic is particularly mental at the moment, so we are probably safe.
Rodgers used Celtic to get back into the PL and that was really my point. You wouldn’t use Celtic as a step up.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought he only had a contract until the summer, but because of his success it would have been very harsh not to offer a new contract. I always thought that was why he didn't last long as it wasn't really a Bloom appointment.

Dick Knight was still chairman when Slade was given a new 2 year contract after keeping us up. Bloom officially took over about a week or two after that so I’m sure the new deal would have been given with his full blessing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I recall TB in a rare comment when things were going slightly worse then great saying that GP had some personal problems. This may be 2+2=5 but I also recall that there was at least some speculation that he was happy in West Wales and that nearest and dearest was not overly enthusiastic about uprooting again having spent many happy years in deepest Sweden.

Personal reasons are rarely mentioned in the rarified world of excessive salaries, bloated egos, and quick fix solutions, but GP seems to one of a kind who can balance life outside football with a wider perspective. My instinct is that he knows what he has, is not keen to rock the personal boat with yet another move, and gets the long game. He is relatively young, and can see no reason to suppose he wont be here for a good few years yet.

The personal problems were that he lost both parents around that time ?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I think it's fair to say Potter isn't a fool, he knows he has a long career ahead of him and a young family he has already moved from Leeds to Sweden to Wales to Brighton. If he was offered a big six job, or England, or a good foreign job he'll make the best decision for him. It may be we're the best option, it may not be.

We don't have a gun for hire managing us, we have a nice fella with integrity and I hope he's here for a long time, but when he does go he'll go with most, if not all BHA fans respect I would think.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Depends how far Potter thinks he can take us.

Without serious investment then a top half finish is still a massive task. If he managed it despite not getting backed with strikers then could view it as the perfect time to get out and take on someone else at a low ebb

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends how far Potter thinks he can take us.

Without serious investment then a top half finish is still a massive task. If he managed it despite not getting backed with strikers then could view it as the perfect time to get out and take on someone else at a low ebb

If he was your average NSC poster he’s have thrown a hissy fit about strikers and left about 6 months into his contract :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here