Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The ones we get are called Southern Fried Bites. Do they pass your test or do they break the food naming laws too?

I think that is a very good example. I am not vegetarian, and as such would never contemplate buying, or even looking at, a product called Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets. However, if I saw something called Southern Fried Bites, I might.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Going veggie wouldn't be something I'd like to do but I reckon I could do it, but I doubt I could go vegan. I like cheese too much, and in my (admittedly limited) experience vegan cheese is just awful.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Going veggie wouldn't be something I'd like to do but I reckon I could do it, but I doubt I could go vegan. I like cheese too much, and in my (admittedly limited) experience vegan cheese is just awful.

This, I'm afraid. I've been a veggie since I was about 14 (oh, how my mum was thrilled!) and in the past few weeks have been trying to go along with Mrs GNT's veganism. Oat milk is great and I don't mind waving goodbye to the egg but vegan cheese is a red-line (for the moment at least) so I'm back on the cheese.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I’ve been a vegetarian since 1974. Not an animal lover particularly; just decided that I no longer fancied eating their decomposing corpses. Have never regretted the decision; I’m now in my mid-60s and pretty healthy for my age (as my race times on the NSC running thread will attest).
Happy to see that so many others are joining the veggie club though - and I think the environmental and health arguments have become more apparent in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ve been a vegetarian since 1974. Not an animal lover particularly; just decided that I no longer fancied eating their decomposing corpses. Have never regretted the decision; I’m now in my mid-60s and pretty healthy for my age (as my race times on the NSC running thread will attest).
Happy to see that so many others are joining the veggie club though - and I think the environmental and health arguments have become more apparent in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just switch from rotting meat to fresh meat?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don’t think many vegetarian/vegans envisage a world with huge herds of wild cattle roaming about the Sussex Downs. These animals are raised for the sole purpose of being eaten. For an individual cow, perhaps being alive for two years is better than never having lived, but as an entire practice it is abhorrent to some people. They are bred en masse for meat and dairy, grown as quickly as possible and the. Despatched as efficiently as possible. For most large scale operations, welfare is considered only as far as the legal requirements. It is nothing more than red tape to the big companies.

Nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their ways with passionate arguments, horrific videos or restaurant invasions. We each come to our own decisions in our own way. I’m expecting the economic be the thing that makes the biggest difference. Eventually, meat alternatives (including ‘lab grown meat’) will become much cheaper than real meat. That will be the biggest driver

Cows should not be overgrazing the downs.

Veggies do not get enough folate to keep them healthy?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
No, just no. I dated a veggie and ate that crap for two years; it was horrific. Never again.

Okay it's not 'delicious' but equally it's not 'horrific.' As with much of cooking it's about flavours, sauces, textures etc. and several times I've had people ask if it's actually chicken when eating a meal I've made with a Quorn 'substitute.'

Linda Mac's mozzarella burgers on the other hand :drool: Have one of those and you'd never miss a meat burger again...possibly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Okay it's not 'delicious' but equally it's not 'horrific.' As with much of cooking it's about flavours, sauces, textures etc. and several times I've had people ask if it's actually chicken when eating a meal I've made with a Quorn 'substitute.'

Linda Mac's mozzarella burgers on the other hand :drool: Have one of those and you'd never miss a meat burger again...possibly.

In fairness, I chucked myself in full throttle (she had massive breasts so I was a total gonner), but the taste difference was very noticeable to me. I honestly wouldn't do it again unless absolutely necessary.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

I find veganism much more limiting than vegetarianism. Avoiding dairy and eggs cuts back considerably on options and you have to be constantly vigilant eg Tyrells Thai Sweet Chilli Crisps are vegan but Walkers are not.

Strangely all prawn cocktail crisps that I have come accross are vegan.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Cows should not be overgrazing the downs.

Veggies do not get enough folate to keep them healthy?

That is your takeaway from what I typed? I was being flippant - the point I was making is that non-meat eaters aren't suggesting we should keep breeding billions of chickens and millions of cows every year, but let them roam free. Quit the opposite. We should not grow these animals just to kill them.

i do enjoy it when people that don't know the first thing about being vegan worry about my vitamin intake. :) Someone in my local pub was talking about how vegan children are at risk due to poor diet. I didn't bother to debate anything with them, but it amused me that they were talking about this in connection with their nephew, "who only eats chicken nuggets". I'm sure that kid is the absolute picture of health.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A vegetarian friend of mine had to go to Austin, Texas for 2 months for work. As well as being the place to go for really good live music they are recognised for having some of the best BBQs you have ever eaten. So she was a little concerned about how she was going to cope, she figured the stores would all have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables but wasn't so sure about eating out. She soon found that even in one of the meat capitals of America there were plenty of good vegetarian choices available in restaurants and diners. It shows you shouldn't make assumptions about certain places, also it makes commercial sense for restaurants to cater to a growing section of the market

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
A vegetarian friend of mine had to go to Austin, Texas for 2 months for work. As well as being the place to go for really good live music they are recognised for having some of the best BBQs you have ever eaten. So she was a little concerned about how she was going to cope, she figured the stores would all have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables but wasn't so sure about eating out. She soon found that even in one of the meat capitals of America there were plenty of good vegetarian choices available in restaurants and diners. It shows you shouldn't make assumptions about certain places, also it makes commercial sense for restaurants to cater to a growing section of the market

USA leading the way as per usual - eat plant for dinner, smoke plant for afters.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I chose not to be as well.

I eat loads of meat and dairy and long will it continue.

As is your prerogative. I mean, all I could tell you would be that eating less or no meat would be better for your health, the environment and the animals but what you choose to do with that information is entirely down to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here