Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I am a Hughton supporter, I am not liking the style of football we are playing or do I like the wave of Hughton out sentiment that has come to the forefront. However I think all supporters have their views and it is very understandable fans want a change of direction. I think we should stay with CH but would not be surprised if he moves on. Has anyone thought he may decide to quit in the summer if he believes he will not be given the appropriate budget to save us from struggling next season?
I'd echo that sentiment. How long would he want the stress of this job at the age of 60. Hopefully pocket his staying up bonus, and then he may reflect that a less stressful role is the future.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most are the same really. I'm a little bit on the fence. My logic says stick, my emotion right now is pissed off and wants change.

The way I process it in my head is I remember how utterly dire we were away at Leicester in the first away game of last season and thinking to myself how tough the step up was going to be. I think over time Chris his slowly built up the team's confidence, harking back to last season, but even that home loss to Chelsea we came away from feeling a sense of we can actually compete with these top sides. To a point where our home record was fantastic with only Leicester outside the top 6 having beaten us and looking fairly safe in mid-table until the recent collapse?

There were a few moans here and there but the vast majority of us were happy until a month or so ago. It's all fallen apart very, very quickly. The players look like they've lost their confidence and for me the job now is to build that back up again. Something that games like Wolves/Spurs away will do where we start to get that self belief that we can defend very well and build from there. If Chris can build up the players confidence again, I think we're probably better off sticking because they know him, they know the system, we're building and recruiting players into that system. A new guy might be a bit different and you get so little time to learn a new way of playing in the Premier League, the games you lose whilst adapting can be so fatal. The fear though is if Chris has lost the players, if he can't pick them back up, the longer we keep him the harder it'll be for a new guy to come in and put his stamp on the team.

So I'd keep him. I think all you hear about his calmness will get the group back on track. I'd also really bloody love to shut the Norwich fans up again who went very quiet this season until the past month when they all of a sudden feel vindicated again in berating him. I really do hope he can pick them up though because a season of football that replicates this past month would be unbearable.

Ah bollocks, look what you did, tricked me into getting involved. :ffsparr:

Good post though and I mostly agree with you, IF Ch can still motivate. Jury’s out for me on that at the moment

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I think most are the same really. I'm a little bit on the fence. My logic says stick, my emotion right now is pissed off and wants change.

The way I process it in my head is I remember how utterly dire we were away at Leicester in the first away game of last season and thinking to myself how tough the step up was going to be. I think over time Chris his slowly built up the team's confidence, harking back to last season, but even that home loss to Chelsea we came away from feeling a sense of we can actually compete with these top sides. To a point where our home record was fantastic with only Leicester outside the top 6 having beaten us and looking fairly safe in mid-table until the recent collapse?

There were a few moans here and there but the vast majority of us were happy until a month or so ago. It's all fallen apart very, very quickly. The players look like they've lost their confidence and for me the job now is to build that back up again. Something that games like Wolves/Spurs away will do where we start to get that self belief that we can defend very well and build from there. If Chris can build up the players confidence again, I think we're probably better off sticking because they know him, they know the system, we're building and recruiting players into that system. A new guy might be a bit different and you get so little time to learn a new way of playing in the Premier League, the games you lose whilst adapting can be so fatal. The fear though is if Chris has lost the players, if he can't pick them back up, the longer we keep him the harder it'll be for a new guy to come in and put his stamp on the team.

So I'd keep him. I think all you hear about his calmness will get the group back on track. I'd also really bloody love to shut the Norwich fans up again who went very quiet this season until the past month when they all of a sudden feel vindicated again in berating him. I really do hope he can pick them up though because a season of football that replicates this past month would be unbearable.

Ah bollocks, look what you did, tricked me into getting involved. :ffsparr:

Very well thought out argument, don't always get a lot of those when it's difficult, think one thing that's been different as well from last season is we haven't been so lucky with injuries, which have changed the dynamic and we've missed some key figures like Gross and Izzy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We all love Chris. We all want him to succeed. But if he can no longer, as he’s demonstrated...Time to go Chris with our eternal gratitude.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I wonder if Ingolstadt sacked their manager then? He played here for half his games in Germany and created more chances than anyone else in the league.
Fans had been crying out for 2 up top but there is no natural way to fit Gross in the same team as Murray and Andone. He tried something - it didn't work so he changed it.
In terms of March moving to the left I think the issue is that we have no natural left winger other than Jose (who does not look fit) - This needs to be addressed in the summer imho.

Apologies for quoting my own post but just found out the manager that regularly played Gross as a right midfielder was none other than Ralph Hasenhüttl. He's doing pretty well at Southampton now!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Did you come on here in 2015-2018 making a case for why he should be sacked ?
Just to prove to you I have always believed Hughton to be boring in his football and I am not just jumping on him because others have seen the same now. Here is a post from another thread from someone who knows for fact this was always my stance after seeing a few games in Hughtons tenure.

I think everyone knows you are not and never have been a Hughton fan.

Believe me I only wish he could change, but he can't, as soon as he doesn't believe in the team its 10 men behind the ball.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite, but we are all entitled to our opinions; it is a forum.

Indeed.

My opinion, for what it is worth (the square root of nothing) is that this is for TB to decide :bigwave:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I honestly couldn't tell you what their budget was back then, compared to the opposition. Any one got an idea?

He spent £11.6m between 2010 and 2012 at Swansea.

And £279.9m when at Liverpool.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Solly has won me over in the last few games. I see a lad starting to believe in himself that I haven't seen until now since the step up to the PL.

I obviously hear how good he can be but I hadn't seen it till recently at this level. I'm hopeful that lad might start to shine next year if he keeps his confidence levels up.

He also had some great PL performances earlier in the season, for example CP at the Amex ... negating the diver’s game completely, so much so that he ‘trod’ on an Albion player.

Lacking confidence last season, Solly’s upped his game markedly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just to prove to you I have always believed Hughton to be boring in his football and I am not just jumping on him because others have seen the same now. Here is a post from another thread from someone who knows for fact this was always my stance after seeing a few games in Hughtons tenure.

Believe me I only wish he could change, but he can't, as soon as he doesn't believe in the team its 10 men behind the ball.

Fair enough. Giving up on Hughton after 6 games and thus missing the last 4 and a half seasons of 89 points, 93 points, promotion, Wembley and 2 seasons in the Prem league because “he won’t change “ is quite the protest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He also had some great PL performances earlier in the season, for example CP at the Amex ... negating the diver’s game completely, so much so that he ‘trod’ on an Albion player.

Lacking confidence last season, Solly’s upped his game markedly.

Solly lost a lot of confidence when he ruptured his cruciate ligament at Derby & was booed off the pitch whilst on a stretcher. He was playing for England U21s before that.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Has anyone ever had a debate on here and actually changed their mind based on what someone else has said? Bloody pointless getting involved.

Yes, some of the advice on here convinced me to have a frontal lobotomy and that actually did change my mind.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If there’s a manager out there who can make Glenn Murray and Pascal Groß faster, Anthony Knockaert less volatile, Matt Ryan taller, fix José Izquierdo’s knee, stop Ali J and Locadia from being a bit shit and do it for what the Albion pay Chris Hughton then I’d say let CH go...but there’s no evidence to support that.

The football has been grim recently, but change isn’t the same as improvement, as we’ve seen inside and outside football. Fulham and Huddersfield are on their third and second managers of the season but that didn’t prevent relegation.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If there’s a manager out there who can make Glenn Murray and Pascal Groß faster, Anthony Knockaert less volatile, Matt Ryan taller, fix José Izquierdo’s knee, stop Ali J and Locadia from being a bit shit and do it for what the Albion pay Chris Hughton then I’d say let CH go...but there’s no evidence to support that.

The football has been grim recently, but change isn’t the same as improvement, as we’ve seen inside and outside football. Fulham and Huddersfield are on their third and second managers of the season but that didn’t prevent relegation.

All valid points, but do you not feel there is something 'wrong' behind the scenes? Even last season where we didn't exactly play total football especially away from home , we had cohesion defensively and shape. We pressed as a unit and had a least a modicum of attacking intent? For the last few months all of that seems to have disappeared with the odd exception latterly. The goals we have conceded have been very slapdash and amateurish frankly and we appear to have no direction or game plan once we go behind. I am not anti Hughton by any means, I welcomed his appointment and the guy has done a stellar job, but I do think its time for a change. We may end up regretting it, that is certainly possible but we may also end up regretting sticking with him? At the very least I would like to see significant changes on the coaching side as I'm not convinced the side are listening anymore.

Whatever happens I will be there next season and the one after that, whatever division we are in, but stick by Hughton and get a poor start or even a tough set of opening fixtures and I think the crowd may well turn on him and I'd hate to see that...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All valid points, but do you not feel there is something 'wrong' behind the scenes? Even last season where we didn't exactly play total football especially away from home , we had cohesion defensively and shape. We pressed as a unit and had a least a modicum of attacking intent? For the last few months all of that seems to have disappeared with the odd exception latterly. The goals we have conceded have been very slapdash and amateurish frankly and we appear to have no direction or game plan once we go behind. I am not anti Hughton by any means, I welcomed his appointment and the guy has done a stellar job, but I do think its time for a change. We may end up regretting it, that is certainly possible but we may also end up regretting sticking with him? At the very least I would like to see significant changes on the coaching side as I'm not convinced the side are listening anymore.

Whatever happens I will be there next season and the one after that, whatever division we are in, but stick by Hughton and get a poor start or even a tough set of opening fixtures and I think the crowd may well turn on him and I'd hate to see that...

I don’t think things are ‘wrong’ behind the scenes. Two of our best players from last season, Groß & Izquierdo, have been injured for large parts of the present season and we’ve lacked creativity & pace as a result.

Recruitment has been hit and miss, but you don’t get very much for £5-15 million these days in the Premier League as Andone, Bissouma, Montaya, Locadia & Jahanbaksh suggest.

Some other players have shown dips in form and others have not broken through. The only success this season, and it’s a qualified one, is Bernardo.

We don’t know what is happening at training, in drills, in team and board meetings so filling the vacuum by wanting a decent man to lose his job seems an oversimplification. The squad we have, recruited from the likes of Blackburn, Charlton, Lewes, Celtic and Valencia reserves is never going to produce performances and results that many want.

As for the crowd turning on Hughton for not being up to the job if things turn bad last season, they did the same
to Ashley Barnes when he was at the Amex too and were happy to see him leave for £450,000.

As long as we are in this division the football will be mundane a lot of the time. The aim is survival and slow improvement. We cannot get to the ‘next level’ until we’ve established ourselves at the current level first, which realistically will take 4-5 seasons in this division.

The sides relegated in 2018/19 will be Huddersfield (2 seasons since promotion) Fulham (1 season) and one of the Albion (2 seasons) or Cardiff (1 season). We lack experience and quality at this level and it takes time to achieve that, regardless of the manager.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

But Southampton did change and improved greatly.

What many of us are arguing, isn't change to avoid relegation, it's change to improve the crap football. So what if we go down? That's inevitable at some point for a club of our size. And if we do, well the entertainment is better in the Championship. It's nothing to fear.

What's the point of the club spending more in the Premier league if the quality drops?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

.... but what you never do is provide a plausible alternative that can take the club forward faster. It's much easier to be critical than constructive and you go with the easier option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here