Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1979 Brighton promotion team on the pitch Saturday

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was living in Liverpool at the time and was one of a car load of people who drove across to Newcastle for the game. Great memories, including collecting a bit of turf. However, estimates of our support that day have grown over the intervening years. No way did we take 10,000. 6,000 or 7,000 maybe.

Tim Carder's book says "nearly 10,000.." which is good enough for me. It also says 500 fans were at Brighton station to greet the team at 2am and "some estimates said 100,000..." were on the victory parade the following day.

PG

Jul 7, 2003
I went to this with a mate from college - wonderful day it was, too. I recall all the coaches were not allowed into Newcastle until nearer the match time, so we were all dumped off in a little place outside (can't remember the name of it), and the curtains were twitching as thousands of Brighton fans were roaming the streets and singing, at about 7am.

Loads of coaches went up overnight but were spread across different towns before the match. We were made to wait in Durham which was okay. Some went to Chester-Le-Street and other places.

Not all the coaches made it back in one piece. Remember an old Ron’s Coaches wagon being badly bricked on the way out of Newcastle.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I used to have one (and one signed by the 3rd division promotion squad) along with all the John Vinicombe books. I thought they were in a box in the loft, but I was up there recently and none of it was there :( Probably got thrown out accidentally when we had the loft extension done.

Ive got one. Signed by all the players on the train back. What a night that was when the players were lifted off the train at around 4am at Brighton Station with around 2,000 fans there to welcome them back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went with my Dad on regular Inter City trains, I was just a nipper.

Remember quite a lot about the day, including seeing a few Sunderland bad losers who’d sneaked into the small terrace at the front of the then modern Leazes Stand kick off. Near the Brighton end. Soon sorted, possibly by Newcastle fans.

The Newcastle fans en masse applauded our promotion at final whistle, including the Gallowgate End. I’ve always liked Newcastle folk and the club since then (except for tomorrow afternoon!).

We got back to Brighton Station at about 10.30.

I found out many years later than the Albion train with the team on board arrived back later, to be greeted by large chanting crowds. I wish I’d been there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tim Carder's book says "nearly 10,000.." which is good enough for me. It also says 500 fans were at Brighton station to greet the team at 2am and "some estimates said 100,000..." were on the victory parade the following day.

PG

We took 10,000 .... it was stated at the time ..... i.e. NOT one of those ‘facts’ that grows over time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are they all still alive?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Just seen this from Lawro’s score predictor clip ....first I’ve heard of it....40 years ..blimey!

Well i’ll definitely be getting there early to see that

‘’I am at the Amex Stadium on Saturday for a 40th anniversary reunion with the Brighton team that got promoted to the top flight in 1979.

We will be on the pitch before the game and then there is a party afterwards. It should be a great day and I am really looking forward to seeing some old friends.

Newcastle were the opposition when we won promotion at St James' Park for the first time in the club's history with a 3-1 win on the last day of the season, in front of more than 10,000 Seagulls fans who had made the long journey north. It was a fabulous occasion.

I know Brighton have not scored in their past seven games but I think there could a little bit of fate involved here with the Magpies the opposition again, and this time a win would help them take a huge step towards staying in the Premier League.
T
I am sure there will be a lot of celebrating afterwards if that is what happens, although I will not be partying too hard - I will be up bright and early because I am travelling to Turf Moor on Sunday to cover Burnley versus Manchester City.’’

Lawro's prediction: 1-0

Ps he has Cardiff. To lose 2/1

3-0 at half time

those were the days

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was one for that promotion as well. I have them both, but the 1979 one signed on the back by the players on the train back. Players all pissed including Lawrenson with his arm in plaster propping up the bar.

Sigh, I only have the 77 one.

Was there a change of train through London, or one all the way from Newcastle?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My dad went up to Newcastle for that game.

Bring this one on!!!!

Mine to, on that 12 carriage train that was packed with Albion fans, especially the carriage that housed fans that represented the emergency services.You know who you are :wink:
Especially the northern type brick that found it's way through a carriage window, when passing through a station.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Here's the back.
You can clearly see Lawrenson, Ward, Mullery, Ryan, Sayer, Williams, and Paul (Clark is Evil) Clark.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mine to, on that 12 carriage train that was packed with Albion fans, especially the carriage that housed fans that represented the emergency services.You know who you are :wink:
Especially the northern type brick that found it's way through a carriage window, when passing through a station.

From a bitter Mackem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here