• Sake I wasn't even born

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who on here went to St Jame's Park at the game in April 1979 when BHAFC won promotion to the top flight with a 3-1 win at Newcastle. 3-0 up at half time the class of 79 battered Newcastle in their own back yard.

We took 10000 fans.

Were you one of them ?.

Recite your memories of the day.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Recite your memories of the day.

Hiding our colours, and keeping quiet on the way from the station to the ground - people trying to find out if we had southern accents!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I still have the audio tape of the whole commentary of the game somewhere. I listened to it at home and did a dance in the back garden at 5pm and cried.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was a mere 16. Wanted to go but was too young. Stayed at home with Mummy and Daddy and listened to the radio.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I did TRY to go. I was living in Edinburgh at the time, and duly set out to drive over those glorious border hills to Newcastle. I was nearly half way there when my clapped out Triumph Herald boiled over and stopped. By the time it was cool enough and willing to start again, it was well past half time, we were 3-0 up, so I listened to the rest of the commentary and nursed the poor little banger back to Edinburgh.
Shagged an ex-girlfriend to celebrate, if I remember rightly....................

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of my biggest regrets of my life was that I didn't go to this game. I was at uni and Newcastle was less than 100 miles away - and I'd been to most of the northern games that season but I had a hot date that night, so I didn't go.

Not only did I miss one of the best Albion games ever but I got stood up too. :censored:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Brilliant! I got in a bit of trouble for going cos my daughter was about to be born, but it was worth it. Main memories - Nobby's diving header, and the applause the Newcastle fans gave us at the end. I cried. Great days.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I was the bloke who telexed the BBC south radio station from a hut in the middle of nowhere in Saudi Arabia and made the staff there give me a running commentary via telex haha.
Celebrated with the stunning concoction of Siddiqui (sugar, yeast and water, and the name meaning 'my friend')

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Was brilliant.

We could travel all the way home discussing the teams we would be playing the following season, without the fear factor that effects todays promoted sides.

We didn't get 60 million from Sky, but we didn't need it in those days. If you were good enough to get promoted, you were generally good enough to survive in Division 1.

Live league matches were never on the telly, so at last, we could see Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leeds, Tottenham etc etc in the flesh.......bloody marvellous.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Was in Germany at the time but commentary was on BFBS & lots of Asbach Uralt was consumed-not the only time Albion have caused me severe headaches though:ohmy:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yup....5 of us in a huge citroen thing..

Great day

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
travelled up on the friday my dad borrowed a brand new Granada from his work which we slept in overnight prior to the game. Great day got back in the early hours of sunday and made our way down to the goldstone in the morning. good memories for an eleven year old

Four of us in an Austin Maxi hired for the weekend from Wadham Stringer at the corner of Old Shoreham Road and Sackville Road.
Stayed at Leicester Univ on the Friday night and collected a fifth supporter in the morning. Free beer in a Newcastle city centre pub before the game (barman was an Albion fan), stood directly behind the goal so had a a great view of Nobbie Horton's header. Anyone else remember David Bobin(?) from Southern ITV getting some serious abuse when he tried to conduct a pre-match interview in front of the Brighton fans?
Shot champagne corks out of the car on the A1 and then went drinking in rural Leicestershire that evening. Woke up early morning somewhere on the Bosworth battlefield but made it back to the Stadium in Holmes Avenue in time for a lunchtime pint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here