Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In the United States, Ford (F) has announced that it's working with 3M and GE Healthcare to produce medical equipment including ventilators and protective gear. GM (GM) and Tesla (TSLA) have also pledged to make ventilators.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/...-Dn11lWmC5cd2ERcJu4vo_RAbJpxKbZv7HiUVRU0Gt9lQ

This is why support for trump is surging.

Nope its Trump. Its Called the Stafford Act.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-emergency-expl-idUSKBN20Z3A6

From 12th of March.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he may declare the coronavirus pandemic an emergency by invoking a law known as the Stafford Act.

....Only the president can declare a major disaster under the law.

“We have very strong emergency powers under the Stafford Act,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday. “I have it memorized, practically, as to the powers in that act. And if I need to do something, I’ll do it. I have the right to do a lot of things that people don’t even know about.”

An emergency declaration under the National Emergencies Act unlocks sweeping presidential powers, like the ability to seize control of the internet or suspend laws, while a Stafford Act declaration deals only with FEMA. "

To get Ventilators for FEMA, the NE act deals with tech censorship.

A public declaration of get a move on or I will sort you out carrys a lot of weight as he has a range of emergency powers to back it up. True it isn't a normal way of going about business but its how Trump rolls.

It is the Defense Production Act that gives Trump the ability to get the federal government involved in the production and distribution of critical supplies. State Governors and others have been PLEADING with him to use the powers it gives him, for days - Trump Resists Using Wartime Law To Get, Distribute Coronavirus Supplies

The administration's response to this crisis has been appalling, since the early days of January.

This is why my state has recently had to discourage doctors from testing for COVID-19, even for patients who are hospitalised :facepalm: - primary-care-preparedness-covid-19.pdf

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Support may be surging for Trump. but most of us will be damned before we vote for him.

Fox News, too...
d5f4efc4-1.png

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
One is a vote prediction and one is a view on his handling of Corona virus.
Even if he does a wonderful job from here on in, doubtful but if, then a significant number clearly think he's not fit for another term.

Its still 9 points higher than the Trump Pol for Fox, still more than he won last time Pollwise. Do you know Congress gave itself a $25 million payrise in the stimulus package? Just saying.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
People don't want to admit they're voting for him. Can't think why. There was a piece on Radio 4 the night before the last presidential election that said lots of people simply hung the phone up when they were asked what their voting intention was.

I remember thinking that 9/2 was a great price for him to win after hearing that. Still annoyed that I forgot to place the bet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1244320570315018240[/tweet]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You are missing a lot of information. Cant remember the name of the emergency act which has been enacted but it grants Trump a hell of a lot of executive powers, one is to declare private companies public utilities which would help explain why he can have a go at Ford now he has the authority to back it up.

He has also got the censorship algorythm used by Google lifted, you may of come across that one?

My opinion of Trump is based upon his own words, and his own words only. The hyperbole, the contradictions, the fact that everything is about his inflated view of himself and his distaste for any form of criticism. His Twitter feed suggests he is unhinged in some way.

I've never been disturbed at The US electing a Republican. But I still can't believe how anyone could support this bloke.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
8.5m isn't that impressive a number in this country. When the propulsion is 5 times higher it's pretty pathetic.

I think you're overestimating general TV viewing figures. 8.5M would have given them the most popular program on TV in the UK 9-15 March this year (currently with 8.2m it's ant and dec, and only 5.4 watched it live) source: https://www.thinkbox.tv/research/barb-data/top-programmes-report/.

While america has a larger population, it also has a more ingrained cable TV culture, in that for years they have made fun of our limited number of TV channels - they have always had lots more options for TV, splitting their audience more than ours even before a world in which people can stream shows on catch up, Tivo programmes, cut the cord and go with streaming services (such as hulu, hbo max, CBS all access, DC online, even before getting to the big ones like netflix, prime, disney+), online video/social media sites like youtube, tiktok, snapchat, instagram, etc. That's just looking at TV options, gaming culture has grown massively and many would rather while away the hours in front of a computer screen or on their consoles (as well as the usually ever present option of going out and all the options on offer there - sports, theatres, multiplexes, pokemon go).

The highest rated programmes tend to be those that are live (especially can't miss live - sporting events, or awards shows where knowing the outcome reduces the general inclination to watch). No, 8.5 doesn't compare to the likes of the superbowl, or the oscars, but compared to regular TV programmes, it's far from pathetic - both here and in the US.

What's pathetic is a world leader openly, publicly, focusing on viewing figures when his citizens are dying.

[tweet]1244372096148369409[/tweet]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think you're overestimating general TV viewing figures. 8.5M would have given them the most popular program on TV in the UK 9-15 March this year (currently with 8.2m it's ant and dec, and only 5.4 watched it live) source: https://www.thinkbox.tv/research/barb-data/top-programmes-report/.

While america has a larger population, it also has a more ingrained cable TV culture, in that for years they have made fun of our limited number of TV channels - they have always had lots more options for TV, splitting their audience more than ours even before a world in which people can stream shows on catch up, Tivo programmes, cut the cord and go with streaming services (such as hulu, hbo max, CBS all access, DC online, even before getting to the big ones like netflix, prime, disney+), online video/social media sites like youtube, tiktok, snapchat, instagram, etc. That's just looking at TV options, gaming culture has grown massively and many would rather while away the hours in front of a computer screen or on their consoles (as well as the usually ever present option of going out and all the options on offer there - sports, theatres, multiplexes, pokemon go).

The highest rated programmes tend to be those that are live (especially can't miss live - sporting events, or awards shows where knowing the outcome reduces the general inclination to watch). No, 8.5 doesn't compare to the likes of the superbowl, or the oscars, but compared to regular TV programmes, it's far from pathetic - both here and in the US.

What's pathetic is a world leader openly, publicly, focusing on viewing figures when his citizens are dying.

[tweet]1244372096148369409[/tweet]

Didn't Boris pull in 20m+ for his first daily update?

What does the BBC version get now? Pretty sure it will be over 1.6m and therefore beating Trump's ratings.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I've been very impressed with the way Andrew Cuomo, the Governor of New York, has been handling things. He's honest, direct and trustworthy, unlike the bozo residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, DC. He managed to persuade Trump to drop his plan of quarantining New York.

It may be too late according to the rules, I'm not sure, but I'm hoping he can still throw his hat into the ring and be a late contender in the race for the Democratic Presidential Nominee. Would give a bit more choice than just Bernie and Biden.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
8.5m isn't that impressive a number in this country. When the propulsion is 5 times higher it's pretty pathetic.

You are joking right? In terms of TV viewers it's incredibly impressive, it'll be in the top 5 most viewed programs on TV in the entire country.

I've been very impressed with the way Andrew Cuomo, the Governor of New York, has been handling things. He's honest, direct and trustworthy, unlike the bozo residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, DC. He managed to persuade Trump to drop his plan of quarantining New York.

It may be too late according to the rules, I'm not sure, but I'm hoping he can still throw his hat into the ring and be a late contender in the race for the Democratic Presidential Nominee. Would give a bit more choice than just Bernie and Biden.

We already had a ton of choices and most of them got told to get behind Biden or else behind closed doors and here we are. As a resident of the city what part of his work on COVID is impressing you? Him cutting funding to Medicaid currently or using prison labor to make hand sanitizer?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
We already had a ton of choices and most of them got told to get behind Biden or else behind closed doors and here we are. As a resident of the city what part of his work on COVID is impressing you? Him cutting funding to Medicaid currently or using prison labor to make hand sanitizer?

Yes he did do those things and has been roundly criticized by the New York Times etc for doing so. But at the minute he's the guy who is making most sense to those of us living here, standing up to Trump and calming nerves. He's not perfect but in the current situation I'd rather him in charge than some narcissistic sociopath. So in short, he is still impressing me

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You are joking right? In terms of TV viewers it's incredibly impressive, it'll be in the top 5 most viewed programs on TV in the entire country.
/QUOTE]

8 point 5 does not make it anywhere near top 5.

The Big Bang Theory averaged nearly 18m per episode. Young Sheldon was 15m. NCIS, 16m.

Friends finale 50+m.

8.5m makes it no better than a sh1t sitcom. Young Sheldon got nearly twice his viewers and that was dreadful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here