Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Young Offenders started out life as a film.
I don't know if that's still on iPlayer, definitely worth watching but the first series does lean heavily on the same plot.

Yeah the first series is a strange extended mash up of the film.
The headmaster in the series is played by the guy who plays the drug smuggler in the film...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema is back.
Series 3 begins with a deep dive into British Comedy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Investigation is very good. Procedural drama about the true crime from 2017 where that pervert built a submarine and raped and murdered a journalist on it. It's very good. It also has subtitles to keep the riff raff away.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not for everybody, I guess, but for me a truly fascinating series - Can't get you out of my head

Probably best to check the review below first to get an idea of if it is likely to be your kind of thing - I'm half way through, and find it fascinating, even if some parts of it I struggle to agree with

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/11/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head-review-adam-curtis-bbc
I've watched and enjoyed all the recent Adam Curtis stuff but gave up on this after 20 mins. Could be starting 6/7 episodes seems a lot or just not a great time to watch that sort of thing but seemed very slow, and a bit like he was making it by numbers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mindhorn has been added to BBC Films, it's glorious.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Very old now and the first two episodes have gone but I've really enjoyed Yes Minister. Never seen it before, always assumed it was one of those old, perfectly nice but dated comedies but I think it still works brilliantly and is very funny. Had to buy the box set as they stopped showing them after first series

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've watched and enjoyed all the recent Adam Curtis stuff but gave up on this after 20 mins. Could be starting 6/7 episodes seems a lot or just not a great time to watch that sort of thing but seemed very slow, and a bit like he was making it by numbers.

Agreed. I've loved his stuff in the past, but this has just seemed a tad visually pedestrian and thematically unoriginal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In better news, we're very much enjoying The Terror which starts off grim, and you know it's only going to go in one direction.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In better news, we're very much enjoying The Terror which starts off grim, and you know it's only going to go in one direction.

I thought it started OK and then deteriorated as it went on. Not sure why I bothered finishing it and wish I hadn't.

But scored well on imdb so guess I'm in a minority

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
For all those who enjoyed the Small Axe series I can recommend this documentary:
"Black Power - a British History of Resistance".

It focuses on the UK civil rights movement in the 60s and 70s. It also touches on the events surrounding the Mangrove Nine trial which was the subject matter of the first Small Axe episode.

It was interesting to learn that the first person to be imprisoned under the Race Relations Act of 1965 was a black man (Michael X) for inciting racial hatred against whites. Somewhat ironic considering it was originally established to deal with the rising problem of racial discrimination against black people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tj50/black-power-a-british-story-of-resistance

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd never seen any Montalbano before and now happily working my way through them. It's like Morse I'm Sicily, except (because it's Italian) once or twice an episode there will be a lovely set of tits on display.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
An early Line of Duty, Between the Lines is a brilliant show from the 90s.

One thing, one thing I'm after is bent coppers.

Neil Pearson, suits him perfectly after the magnificent Drop the Dead Donkey.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'd never seen any Montalbano before and now happily working my way through them. It's like Morse I'm Sicily, except (because it's Italian) once or twice an episode there will be a lovely set of tits on display.

It's a lot lighter than Morse (literally and emotionally) but it's excellent comfort viewing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here