Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
The second series of Kin is , well, ‘Kin’ brilliant.

The first season was very good, 4 programmes into the second and it’s better.
I said the same on here months ago as had access to Kin S2 by other means. Nice to see multiple others agree since it’s been shown on iPlayer (seen it mentioned several times recently on here).

I also said at the time that Love/Hate is even better. Another Irish gangland series. A few years old now but available on ITVX.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Kin was excellent

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
All of Jonathan Creek is now on there… brilliant series if you’ve never seen it. Goes downhill in the last series, with weak plots and weird character changes, but Series 1-4 and the specials are absolute gold.

Oct 2, 2008
Haven’t yet watched the second series of Kin but will be doing so as really enjoyed the first series. If you liked that please do watch Love Hate on ITVx ……been binge watching the whole thing and it’s the best thing I’ve seen in ages. Lots of similarities to Kin…Irish crime drama set in Dublin and the brilliant Aidnen Gilln is in both of them.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Haven’t yet watched the second series of Kin but will be doing so as really enjoyed the first series. If you liked that please do watch Love Hate on ITVx ……been binge watching the whole thing and it’s the best thing I’ve seen in ages. Lots of similarities to Kin…Irish crime drama set in Dublin and the brilliant Aidnen Gilln is in both of them.
2nd series is better than the first imho, bring on the 3rd!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For any folk who really enjoyed the dark and gloomy 'Hinterland', some great news.

On the 2nd April, brand new offbeat crime drama series Tree On A Hill will air on BBC One Wales and BBC iPlayer. This series is writer and creator Ed Thomas’ first TV series since crime hit Hinterland.

Tree On A Hill follows a very ordinary married couple Margaret and Clive Lewis played by Nia Roberts and Rhodri Meilir who, after a series of events, find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Filmed at the top of the Swansea valley, in and around Ystradgynlais and Abercrave, it stars a stellar Welsh cast including Rhodri Meilir, Nia Roberts, Richard Harrington, Richard Lynch and Hannah Daniel.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I thought the second series of Kin was great, first a bit of a struggle to get through.
I think the second and third series of Love/Hate is just as good.
Just a word about Aiden Gillen. Queer As Folk, The Wire, Love/Hate, Game Of Thrones, Peaky Blinders, Kin. And that's just TV. What an amazing career.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Found a nice documentary about 'Microdisney' on there.

Nothing revelatory, but nice to see a bit of exposure for them, albeit about 40 years too late.

Reminded me of the lazy old line that the Go Betweens were the Australian Smiths, without the success. That would probably mean that Microdisney were the Irish Go Betweens with even less success.

RIP Cathal Coughlan.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Found a nice documentary about 'Microdisney' on there.

Nothing revelatory, but nice to see a bit of exposure for them, albeit about 40 years too late.

Reminded me of the lazy old line that the Go Betweens were the Australian Smiths, without the success. That would probably mean that Microdisney were the Irish Go Betweens with even less success.

RIP Cathal Coughlan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really enjoyed This Country, not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was very funny.
I think you are only the second person Ive seen mention it on NSC.

Tomato :lolol:
😂

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
'This Town' just dropped this morning...

First one very good, think it's going to be another winner from Mr Knight
Already watched all 6 episodes. Agreed and highly recommended. Levi Brown is astonishing and there's a moment in episode 2 with Michelle Dockery that stops you in your tracks. Great to have a drama thats not a police procedural, plays with the form, tells working class stories and is steeped in music (very good music) . The new music created for the (fictional) band is also impressive.
Forget the minor anachronisms - it takes place in 1981 - the backdrop is the Summer riots in Handsworth in Birmingham and the IRA hunger strikes both of which feature.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really enjoyed This Town with one major gripe.

For me Dante's music was far too contemporary.
It felt like they'd slaved so long to get the perfect musical heart of the show they completely forgot they needed original work too and just said 'get Mike Skinner to knock us up something and put Animal on drums'.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here