Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I really enjoyed This Country, not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was very funny.
I think you are only the second person Ive seen mention it on NSC.

Tomato :lolol:

Nobody I've mentioned it to had seen it either. Funny in a kind of "The Office" type of way.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nobody I've mentioned it to had seen it either. Funny in a kind of "The Office" type of way.

I kept seeing the trailers on BBC and for some reason I thought it was a proper documentary.
One evening I watched the first episode on I player, I thought it was really funny and watched the next two episodes straight after.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A couple of highlights

If you fancy some chill time, the very affable Neil Brand has a short series on BBC4, entitled The Sound of TV.

I also noticed old Sean Connery film The Wall is available.
It was good back in the day, I'll certainly be finding out how well it holds up.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The Hill ,1965 black and white film saw it years ago and rewatched last night, still as powerful as ever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Hill ,1965 black and white film saw it years ago and rewatched last night, still as powerful as ever.

Oh yes silly me, Hill/Wall easily done!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now I've finished it I'm going to give The Sound of TV, on BBC4, another plug.

Seeing that pretty much EVERYTHING is currently shite, it would be a shame if this excellent series disappears as it's very much the tonic for the current news, weather, sport, entertainment available.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Now I've finished it I'm going to give The Sound of TV, on BBC4, another plug.

Seeing that pretty much EVERYTHING is currently shite, it would be a shame if this excellent series disappears as it's very much the tonic for the current news, weather, sport, entertainment available.

All the Neil Brand series are excellent

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Inside No.9

Like a modern day Tales Of The Unexpected. But darker.

The League Of Gentlemen fans may or may not have already discovered it. I've only just stumbled across it, despite being a big League Of Gentlemen fan, yet it appears to have started way back in 2014.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've watched Staged yesterday, only 6 episodes of about 15-20 minutes long and it was brilliant, Michael Sheen and David Tennant playing "fictionalised" versions of themselves rehearsing a play on Zoom.

One of the very few things I've watched that had be laughing out loud.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've just finished The Young Offenders. One of the funniest things I've seen this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've watched a couple of the Staged vignettes, which are enjoyable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08dnlhc

But what I am struck by is along with Gone Fishing, it appears to be yet another programme inspired by Detectorists.

Which is nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Johnny Utah is in the film section.

Quote City Arizona.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I've just finished The Young Offenders. One of the funniest things I've seen this year.

I absolutely LOVED this.
I'm not normally in to 'sitcom' style stuff but it's just absolutely beautifully made. Great acting. It's very poignant in places and very funny in others. Definitely recommend giving it a go because the more you watch the more you fall in love.
There's a scene where they sing at one off the boys 'ma's' graves. U2 of all people, usually the sort of thing that would make me cringe, but it's utterly heartbreaking.

Storyville is essential viewing. Basically they buy in the best documentaries around and all are at east interesting but many amazing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I absolutely LOVED this.
I'm not normally in to 'sitcom' style stuff but it's just absolutely beautifully made. Great acting. It's very poignant in places and very funny in others. Definitely recommend giving it a go because the more you watch the more you fall in love.
There's a scene where they sing at one off the boys 'ma's' graves. U2 of all people, usually the sort of thing that would make me cringe, but it's utterly heartbreaking.

Storyville is essential viewing. Basically they buy in the best documentaries around and all are at east interesting but many amazing.

Young Offenders started out life as a film.
I don't know if that's still on iPlayer, definitely worth watching but the first series does lean heavily on the same plot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here