Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
But Parliament is not following the will of the British people, it makes me laugh how remain will spin it and say the 'peoples vote' for a 2nd referendum.

The people did vote, 17.4m voted they voted LEAVE.

It can't get any more simple.

I agree it is extremely simple, as I said, "this was to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less."

How we leave the EU, the detail, was not voted on (well it was in 2017 when 85% of people voted for manifestos stating we would leave the EU with a deal).

That is what is being democratically sorted out now, or should be if Parliament was being shut down.

Just because it is not going as quick as you like, or exactly how you hoped it would, is no excuse to spill blood, particularly and erroneously, in the name of upholding democracy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh, you mean the ECJ that stopped us deporting Abdul Hamza? That ECJ.

I think you mean Abu Hamza, and if so, he is now in an American prison.
The European Court of Human Rights prevented his extradition to the US initially, until it was assured that he would not face torture, or inhumane treatment. The UK is signed up to the European Convention on Human Rights, totally independently of EU membership, and we will still be signed up to it after leaving the EU.

Jan 30, 2008
But Parliament is not following the will of the British people, it makes me laugh how remain will spin it and say the 'peoples vote' for a 2nd referendum.

But Grizzlers are so much better informed as to why 17.4 million voted to leave problem for them is it's got them nowhere ,LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
Regards
DU

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Parliament has been acting entirely democratically, and continues to do so. No need for any violence.

If a bill goes through Parliament to seek an extension democratically I am not sure what the problem is. No need for any violence.

Just because you don't like this is not justification for blood to be spilled.

The remain side has not forget about the leavers and what they voted for; this was to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less.

Virtually the only thing I would agree with Mouldy about is that extreme Brexiteer believers might well resort to violence.

Remember, Jo Cox died for her beliefs.
Right wing extremist Thomas Mair couldn't bear such opposition and so murdered her.

You see, even on here, how visceral the whole matter has become and how some simply cannot accept any argument against their view. Some resort to name calling, others to satirising opposing statements.

For extremists, when arguments and verbal abuse fail, it is a short step to physical threat.

In the long run, I don't think it will work but of course it is a frightening prospect. Remember where the threat is coming from though and that extreme violence has come from that quarter before.....

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

give over, Parliament voted for Brexit. let them vote for conditions if they want to legislate on that. if the people dont like that there will be a GE along soon enough.

D

Deleted member 2719

What is the will of the people? Not what was the will of the voters three years ago.
Why not ask us now, when we know a lot more about it? If it is such a good idea, then you've got nothing to worry about.

I agree it is extremely simple, as I said, "this was to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less."

How we leave the EU, the detail, was not voted on (well it was in 2017 when 85% of people voted for manifestos stating we would leave the EU with a deal).

That is what is being democratically sorted out now, or should be if Parliament was being shut down.

Just because it is not going as quick as you like, or exactly how you hoped it would, is no excuse to spill blood, particularly and erroneously, in the name of upholding democracy.

Not this old chestnut, I will let Piers explain this for the millionth time.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/good-morning-britain-viewers-divided-19163797

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Are all the Cabinet members who voted against the WA now going to have the whip withdrawn, as per Johnson's (read Cummings') plans this week or is the Prime Minister a hypocritical **** who is acting more and more like a tyrant every day.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/01/boris-johnson-warns-rebel-mps-back-sacked/

Anyone who thinks this kind of action is okay needs to take a long hard look at how they view politics.

....and if the threat of having the whip withdrawn doesn't bring them into line, then the threat of 'roughing them up' could be another tactic!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't want to answer you, it'd be like trying to talk to something on my shoe I stepped in.

So...the timeline here;

Rivet - makes unsubstantiated bullshit comment about benefits.
Mellotron - asks Rivet to substantiate, likely knowing a lot more about the subject than Rivet due to experience of a close family member.
Rivet - hides.
*time passes*
Rivet - hopes that Mellotron has gone, and slinks back onto the board to continue abusing people.
Mellotron - again offers Rivet the chance to back up their stupid and unfounded comment.
Rivet - calls Mellotron a piece of shit.

Cool. Just wanted to confirm what happened here for the history books. Hope everyone enjoyed this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So...the timeline here;

Rivet - makes unsubstantiated bullshit comment about benefits.
Mellotron - asks Rivet to substantiate, likely knowing a lot more about the subject than Rivet due to experience of a close family member.
Rivet - hides.
*time passes*
Rivet - hopes that Mellotron has gone, and slinks back onto the board to continue abusing people.
Mellotron - again offers Rivet the chance to back up their stupid and unfounded comment.
Rivet - calls Mellotron a piece of shit.

Cool. Just wanted to confirm what happened here for the history books. Hope everyone enjoyed this.
Rivet-ing.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The phrase 'The Will of the people" that's bandied about is not accurate in the slightest.
The reality is it was the "Will of slightly over half the people who voted".
Not the same thing at all, but Leavers like to big it up, because it sounds better.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Thought this was interesting in the light of BoJo the Bozo's threat to rebel MPs...
churchill.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The day I listen to a nasty journalist who hacks into a little girls phone when she was murdered, giving her parents false hope, is the day, I give up.

Nobody realised what problems the Irish Border, and Good Friday Agreement would cause with Brexit. If you say you did, then I am entitled to call you a liar.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The phrase 'The Will of the people" that's bandied about is not accurate in the slightest.
The reality is it was the "Will of slightly over half the people who voted".
Not the same thing at all, but Leavers like to big it up, because it sounds better.

Agreed. It's such a bullshit phrase, especially now, over 3 years after the vote.

It would be more honest for Leavers to stop pretending it was anything to do with democracy, Johnson's current actions show this, and just admit it's about "winning".

****ing up the country because you can't handle not "winning". Imagine being that pathetic.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Thanks for that video but I am not sure that Piers Moron is the authority on the matter, lots of people on both sides of the Brexit campaign said lots of things.

Ultimately the vote was to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less, as you have said "simple".

85% of people then voted for parties who stated they would leave the EU with a deal.

A deal doesn’t have to involve the UK being in the SM or CU; see the WA.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. It's such a bullshit phrase, especially now, over 3 years after the vote.

It would be more honest for Leavers to stop pretending it was anything to do with democracy, Johnson's current actions show this, and just admit it's about "winning".

****ing up the country because you can't handle not "winning". Imagine being that pathetic.

Also important to note that things have changed....

Braverman, a Brexiter, briefed the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, and his principle adviser Stephanie Riso on Friday.

In its new report, the commission proposes a series of changes to the political declaration that accompanied the withdrawal agreement including a “clear commitment” that “provisions relating to building on the backstop and the single customs territory are removed”.

It also states that the government’s aim is no longer “frictionless trade” with the EU but “as frictionless as possible trade”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...provoke-early-election-claims-gauke-live-news

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also important to note that things have changed....

"as frictionless as possible". **** me. The Thick Of It was a documentary.

People continue vote for and support these ****ing *****.

D

Deleted member 2719

I just want to LEAVE you with the result of the vote that you are undemocraticly trying to take away from the people of this country.

In the meantime perhaps we should all take a week off of this thread, I am. :wave:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567419550681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567419550681.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 158

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you read one thread today.....

[tweet]1168264347900108800[/tweet]

We will. They won't.

Remember, it's not about facts. It's not about the reality of the situation.

It's about "winning".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here