Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We need to bear in mind Patrick Minford's view though. That leading Brexit economist suggested that the low or no tariff regime made far more likely by a hard Brexit would lead to the virtual elimination of British manufacturing - although this would not, in his view, be undesirable.

... and farming. Minford's view is that the manufacturing and farming are unproductive and won't survive in a post-Brexit world. That can't be painted as Project Fear as that's the view of a leading Brexiteer.

Interestingly, farmers heavily vote Tory. It will be instructive to see their views if their farms are closed down after Brexit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She didn't have to.
I didn't say she did. She could have if being British meant a lot to her. She chose not to. Now she simply needs to register. She's not going to have to leave.
In fact, Britain sent out a message to the Commonwealth to ask them to send us workers to help rebuild after the war.
She's not from the Commonwealth.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pendants don't have hearts. You cannot be a pendant without a cold emotionless approach. I doubt you even cried at The Champ....
I cry watching most films. All the director has to do is flip the sad music switch, and I'm blubbing. This poor old lady must have a crap director.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It was easy. Done my mum's application. Really hate the way things like this are spun to make it look like she is not welcome and will be removed from the country.

Don't you think that is how the letter made her feel though? It says you are not one of us, you need to ask permission to stay where you have lived for 50 plus years, it would piss me off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't say she did. She could have if being British meant a lot to her. She chose not to. Now she simply needs to register. She's not going to have to leave.
She's not from the Commonwealth.

Your pedantry borders on the childish.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Your pedantry borders on the childish.
It looks like you're trying to avoid the point. The point is, she's not being kicked out, she just needs to register. And that's broken your heart has it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It looks like you're trying to avoid the point. The point is, she's not being kicked out, she just needs to register. And that's broken your heart has it?

No it hasn't broken my heart. My 21 year old brother dying did that in 1980.

Danish people were told if they took out British citizenship, they would lose their Danish citizenship. Nevertheless, this lady did apply for British citizenship last year. Despite having been a councillor and a mayor of Ipswich, with a passport stamped "leave to enter for an indefinite period", she was turned down.
This wasn't for 'Settled Status' this was to become a British Citizen.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...enied-citizenship-after-almost-40-years-in-uk

She appealed and won, but it is far from easy dealing with our Home Office.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The registration process itself leaves open the possibility that a registration application can be rejected. For people that have lived here for many years and are fully at home here, that must be a stressful period of uncertainty while waiting to see what happens. It's not as if our HO is without previous.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can Brexit survive this channel 4 exclusive?

The Russian interference is already known and generally accepted.

Those who voted for Brexit will say they weren't influenced by any interference, and that you don't understand why people voted for Brexit if you think it did.

On that basis nothing to see here, move along.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Russian interference is already known and generally accepted.

How about the Trump support for Brexit (opposed to Obama’s truthful opposition)?

Trump is America first so Brexit is his natural go-to position as it will ruin our economy and put the USA at a massive advantage in trade deals. We’re already seeing their spokespersons talking about changing our rules on agriculture to let their horrid bleached chickens and GM foods in.

Did the alarm bells not ring for Brexiteers when this particular oaf joined their number?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
[tweet]1102825644323454976[/tweet]

Been here nearly 60 years, long before we joined the EC and decades before the EU was formed, she considers herself more Scottish than Danish. She could have applied for British citizenship decades ago if she really feels more affinity to here than Denmark?
Don’t see why I have to cry because someone needs to fill in some paperwork. Are all non EU nationals now supposed to be exempt from filling in forms if they wish to live here long term? Where is the fake outrage too of them having to do so?

You conveniently ignored the VoteLeave website that said it wouldn't affect EU citizens who were already resident.

It wont affect them, those that are here legally, fit the criteria and are legitimate will get settled status,all we need is the process to weed out those who are not legitimate. Sounds if you are suggesting that those EU citizens who have been here for years working in the black economy and not contributing should automatically get settled status, and also suggesting those with a criminal history should be exempt from further scrutiny.

She had proof of her employment history with the same firm for 15 years but her application was turned down. What part of that is so difficult to understand?

Um you said yourself she couldn’t provide evidence of her employment history for 2015 as it was missing , therefore she is not entitled to settled status. Did she take a year off and leave the country in 2015 thus not eligible for continuous residency in the last 5 years and settled status? If she had a break from the UK in 2015 she should apply for pre-settled status not settled status

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Mate, she’s 87 and got a letter to say, effectively, you’re not one of us so tell us why you should stay. To me, that seems needless and a little heartless.

We have never required EU nationals to register before even though other countries do (I’ve had to register in 3 countries and it was bloody difficult in Belgium) but that’s not really the point either. She’s being made to feel unwelcome in the country she’s lived in for 50 years, brought up children in (who are probably British) and now she feels upset. I’m not heart broken, that’s a bit excessive, but I can acknowledge it’s a shit way to treat an 87 year old in her situation.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It wont affect them, those that are here legally, fit the criteria and are legitimate will get settled status,all we need is the process to weed out those who are not legitimate. Sounds if you are suggesting that those EU citizens who have been here for years working in the black economy and not contributing should automatically get settled status, and also suggesting those with a criminal history should be exempt from further scrutiny.

Lovely going back to East German policies. Will the Stasi be re-recruiting?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Lovely going back to East German policies. Will the Stasi be re-recruiting?

If you think checking someones criminal history or checking to see they are not working in the black economy is some sort of extreme Stasi thinking then you are seriously screwed up.What a joke you are.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you think checking someones criminal history or checking to see they are not working in the black economy is some sort of extreme Stasi thinking then you are seriously screwed up.What a joke you are.

Think what you actually wrote. An insult from you - honestly, I wouldn't bother as I've got more respect for a rice pudding.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Think what you actually wrote. An insult from you - honestly, I wouldn't bother as I've got more respect for a rice pudding.

And i have zero respect for people that believe people coming here to live and work should be exempt from criminal checks and should be allowed to work in the black economy without consequence. Your brain must be made out of rice pudding.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And i have zero respect for people that believe people coming here to live and work should be exempt from criminal checks and should be allowed to work in the black economy without consequence. Your brain must be made out of rice pudding.

Still not got it. What a surprise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here