Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Effectively saying, to be loyal to his brother would be against the national interest.

Not much of a surprise, since he resigned under May. He is a committed remainer / wants a second referendum.

To me the story of the day (which the resignation has overshadowed) was our PM saying he would rather "die in a ditch" than ask for an extension.

That sends out an extraordinary message to extreme far right nationalists.

Boris is becoming more unhinged by the day and I can't see him mentally or physically handling an election.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
If this was 1916, Johnson, Rees-Mogg and their chums would be the ones sending us and our sons off to die in the trenches.

How can anyone fall for their over grown sense of entitlement and callous disregard for anyone but their own kind ?
What is the relevance of 1916? Aside from your post, there was a vote to leave, so if you are going to leave there is no point having a worse deal than when the country was part of the EC. From what I can understand this is the case with the proposal put forward by May. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to remove the only bargaining chip you have when trying to change this deal. I was shocked and disappointed when the UK voted to leave, but if you are going to negotiate good terms you need to have all the tools at your disposal be it a surgeons scapel or a wrecking ball. It makes absolutely no sense to castrate yourself prior to negotiations

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pasta, you really do flatter to deceive, by dressing up what turns out to be basic Brexiteer bollox in reasonably eloquent frippery.
You're basically just The Fairy in drag.

He is funny.

When presented with one issue that was bought to the table, petrol.
30 seconds of internetting resulting in 'oh shit this is bad' - as you'd expect after Farridge said petrol isn't an issue.

Pasta repeats the question.
When pressed again flim-flams and that's it.

It was seemingly physically impossible for him to say '0% tariff on imports but 4.7% tariffs on exports is very bad for the UK refining industry'.

He might as well have just written "Leave Means Leaves".

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
He is funny.

When presented with one issue that was bought to the table, petrol.
30 seconds of internetting resulting in 'oh shit this is bad' - as you'd expect after Farridge said petrol isn't an issue.

Pasta repeats the question.
When pressed again flim-flams and that's it.

It was seemingly physically impossible for him to say '0% tariff on imports but 4.7% tariffs on exports is very bad for the UK refining industry'.

He might as well have just written "Leave Means Leaves".

Starting to wonder if some of you actually read what is being written even by yourselves or just jump in
you asked me a question as if you didn’t understand the figures.

[MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] can I have your input on this please.

that is way way above my comfort level.

I said what the figures meant

You followed up with a question specifically asking what the plus side is

I'm more curious as to your opinion on such a deal, specifically if there's a plus side to such an arrangement.

I said the plus side is lower import tariffs is cheaper for the consumer.
Thought it was obvious If the fuel that was previously imported from outside the EU at 4.7% is now imported at 0% it is cheaper for the importer. Fuel that was previously imported at 0% from inside the EU remains at 0%. Its not rocket science.

:shrug:

It goes without saying, if the tariffs go up for the exporter from 0% to 4.7% its worse for the exporter. Does it really need laying out for you
Some are importers and exporters some are just one, so swings and roundabouts too. But markets adjust to opportunity
But tell me, If you said to the average consumer here your fuel and fuel related bills might be cheaper with lower import tariffs but the downside is the big fuel companies would take a hit on their massive profits from their export division, I wonder what the average consumer fed up with high fuel bills will do first……snigger or snigger?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
But tell me, If you said to the average consumer here your fuel and fuel related bills might be cheaper with lower import tariffs but the downside is the big fuel companies would take a hit on their massive profits from their export division, I wonder what the average consumer fed up with high fuel bills will do first……snigger or snigger?

I'm an average consumer fed up with high fuel bills and I won't snigger, I'll just sigh heavily and wait for the increased costs to be passed onto me in my bills and hope my company pension fund is invested in the fuel company so I at least get some benefit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm an average consumer fed up with high fuel bills and I won't snigger, I'll just sigh heavily and wait for the increased costs to be passed onto me in my bills and hope my company pension fund is invested in the fuel company so I at least get some benefit.

Imagine my surprise at the big fuel companies jumping at any opportunity to put prices up

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see that Labour and the SNP have made a deal not to back the GE to take place until after October 31st.

I do love a slow roast :lolol:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I see that Labour and the SNP have made a deal not to back the GE to take place until after October 31st.

I do love a slow roast :lolol:

So the only thing left to know now, is....will Boris die in the ditch....or before he topples into the ditch ?

No doubt all will be revealed.....

or could he be telling porkies.....again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So the only thing left to know now, is....will Boris die in the ditch....or before he topples into the ditch ?

No doubt all will be revealed.....

or could he be telling porkies.....again.

Is the ditch next to bulldozer that he was going to lie in front of? Perhaps the bulldozer could just shunt him into it

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Assuming the election motion is allowed back on Monday, I can't see Johnson winning it.
I can't see Johnson trying to bring a bill for an election as an alternative, as it's subject to amendments and Lords scrutiny, so control of the date is lost.
I can't see him bringing a motion of no confidence in his own Government because of how it would look.
Assuming prorogation goes ahead, along with the conferences, I can't see come October how his Queens Speech passes, so we're then into no confidence territory and a subsequent election in November. That still leaves the issue of no deal to tidy up. What does he do?

1. Go cap in hand, do what parliament have said and fight the election the month after?
2. Try and resurrect the withdrawal agreement?
3. Try and dig in, not appoint a UK commissioner in the hope The EU expel us as a result and trash The UK's international reputation even further?
4. As he'd rather die in a ditch, could he resign as PM pending an election in the hope that Corbyn is the one to get the extension from The EU and throw that at him in the subsequent election?
5. Just Say - Ra, ra, ra, tally ho, almost scored a goal in the wall game at Eton once, it's all tremendous jolly good fun what-what-what, blah-blah-blah, our own free trade deals with Nyasaland, blah-blah-blah, they all look the same, Jeremy Corbyn is an oik who ought to know his place, blah-blah-blah, negotiations with our EU chums, tremendous etc - basically he hasn't a clue.
6. Or something else?

At the moment I'm thinking he'll just do No.5.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Assuming the election motion is allowed back on Monday, I can't see Johnson winning it.
I can't see Johnson trying to bring a bill for an election as an alternative, as it's subject to amendments and Lords scrutiny, so control of the date is lost.
I can't see him bringing a motion of no confidence in his own Government because of how it would look.
Assuming prorogation goes ahead, along with the conferences, I can't see come October how his Queens Speech passes, so we're then into no confidence territory and a subsequent election in November. That still leaves the issue of no deal to tidy up. What does he do?

1. Go cap in hand, do what parliament have said and fight the election the month after?
3. Try and dig in, not appoint a UK commissioner in the hope The EU expel us as a result and trash The UK's international reputation even further?
4. As he'd rather die in a ditch, could he resign as PM pending an election in the hope that Corbyn is the one to get the extension from The EU and throw that at him in the subsequent election?
5. Just Say - Ra, ra, ra, tally ho, almost scored a goal in the wall game at Eton once, it's all tremendous jolly good fun what-what-what, blah-blah-blah, our own free trade deals with Nyasaland, blah-blah-blah, they all look the same, Jeremy Corbyn is an oik who ought to know his place, blah-blah-blah, negotiations with our EU chums, tremendous etc - basically he hasn't a clue.
6. Or something else?

As I understand it the WA (as revised following talks with Labour) is already resurrected and back on the agenda following an amendment to the Bill to seek an extension.

Presumably this will be voted on again, before 14th/17th October?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Starting to wonder if some of you actually read what is being written even by yourselves or just jump in
you asked me a question as if you didn’t understand the figures.

I said what the figures meant

You followed up with a question specifically asking what the plus side is

I said the plus side is lower import tariffs is cheaper for the consumer.
Thought it was obvious If the fuel that was previously imported from outside the EU at 4.7% is now imported at 0% it is cheaper for the importer. Fuel that was previously imported at 0% from inside the EU remains at 0%. Its not rocket science.

:shrug:

It goes without saying, if the tariffs go up for the exporter from 0% to 4.7% its worse for the exporter. Does it really need laying out for you
Some are importers and exporters some are just one, so swings and roundabouts too. But markets adjust to opportunity

Could you just explain how this cheaper fuel is physically going to get into this country following a no deal

Thanks

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

6. Or something else?

Maybe watch out for attempts at number 2 in some quarters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Effectively saying, to be loyal to his brother would be against the national interest.

Their sister has always been pro Europe. Many people thought De Piffle would come out for Remain but he flip flopped right ar the last minute in 2016, which was strange as he was known to like Free Movement.
I suspect Bannon & Cummings got to him with the money.
As he is so weak & cowardly, it won't take much to tip him over the edge.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As I understand it the WA (as revised following talks with Labour) is already resurrected and back on the agenda following an amendment to the Bill to seek an extension.

Presumably this will be voted on again, before 14th/17th October?

Maybe watch out for attempts at number 2 in some quarters.

There's cloak and daggers going on in regards to this, but as he's said 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander', would he really risk expelling circa 60+ ERG die hards who've said they won't vote for the withdrawal agreement, particularly with Farage and The Brexit Party about to fully mobilise in the subsequent election? That's the problem he's got with it. Any 'changes' will be merely cosmetic.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Is the ditch next to bulldozer that he was going to lie in front of? Perhaps the bulldozer could just shunt him into it

And like the bulldozer he was lying about then does anyone believe him, on any level, when he says he would rather be dead in a ditch.

And as for the previous bulldozer lie, he didn't even mean this metaphorically/politically, as he ran away when the time came for him to politically lie in front of the bulldozer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

6. Or something else?

If the Queen's Speech is defeated it counts as a no confidence vote - but in this case Corbyn gets 14 days to form a Government. If not it'll be an election.

I assume Corbyn would form a Government, get the extension, and then lose a further confidence vote leading to an election.

Johnson, of course, does (5), above.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

6. Or something else?

There was talk on Tuesday (not sure how serious it was) that if Johnson refused to go to the EU, defying the law, then Bercow would go in his place. I'm not sure that, if this were the case, that Johnson could continue to be PM but what happens after that, who knows?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here