Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is your proposed solution to the Northern Ireland Protocol that you campaigned and voted for and have now decided that you don't want and is unimplementable :dunce:

View attachment 144349

I see Das Reich and PotG have tag-teamed up against you :lolol:

Oscar Wilde and Lenny Bruce, if they were alive today, would hesitate to join such a fray :rolleyes:

That said, PotG has been very quiet today.

Perhaps he's been out, clearing mud, or looking for a room they can share, later? ??? :lolol:

Heartwarming.

Jan 30, 2008
I see Das Reich and PotG have tag-teamed up against you :lolol:

Oscar Wilde and Lenny Bruce, if they were alive today, would hesitate to join such a fray :rolleyes:

That said, PotG has been very quiet today.

Perhaps he's been out, clearing mud, or looking for a room they can share, later? ??? :lolol:

Heartwarming.

What's the lesser of two evils a tag team or a circle jerk ?

Regards
DF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Rip it up and go WTO after all leave means leave and it will save you asking the same questions

Regards
DF

It always amazes me the same people who used to buy into the idea the EU wasn't democratic aren't so quick to hold the government to account for which they were elected. It's not something within the small print of their manifesto, it's the very bedrock of why they were elected, a simple 3 word slogan, their catchphrase, GET BREXIT DONE.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
I suppose with support for Johson and Brexit tanking - the Brexiteers needed a top up of cool aid

[tweet]1488075630264598528[/tweet]

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
for our Brexiteer friends, all the Brexit benefits are here

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ment_data/file/1051323/benefits-of-brexit.pdf

brexben.jpeg

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Not my own words but it pretty much sums up what’s in that article….

Read the first page ("Our Achievements so far") and weep.

Ended free movement and taken back control of our borders.

And what a benefit that turned out to be.

Restored democratic control over our lawmaking.

Apparently, the EU parliament does not exist and neither do member state governments have any say in what the EU decides. Also it seems "Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh" are not that happy about being shut out of making these laws now that London has "taken back control".

Restored the UK Supreme Court as the final arbiter of the law that applies in the UK.

Except, of course, in Northern Ireland, any trade dispute with the EU, the Irish sea border, ... Also note the fact that they felt they had to specify that judgments are now (?) issued in English, not French, because the language in which the judges deliberate is far more important than the decisions they make. Not that it matters, of course, because the rule of law in the UK is somewhat shaky of late.

Made it tougher for EU criminals to enter the UK.

Except that it has now become much, much harder to determine who those criminals are, because the UK is shut out from various databases and cooperation agreements.

Ended the acceptance of ID cards for most EU nationals travelling to the UK.

That'll show those pesky tourists, coming over here booking our hotels and spending their money over here like they own the place.

Taken back control of our waters.

.. and dumped sewage in them.

Restored fair access to our welfare system.

"We ended the preferential treatment of EU migrants over non-EU migrants", which they could have done any time they wanted even in the EU. This only makes sense if they plan to take rights away from EU cititzens, rather than grant the same rights to other people as well.

Set our own tariff regime via the UK Global Tariff.

We made it easier for others to export to our market so that they now no longer need to negotiate a free trade agreement with us ... oh wait. In reality, of course, there was no significant change at all.

Committed £180 million to modernise and streamline our import and export controls by creating the Single Trade Window.

... to no apparent effect, as witnessed by the queues at the border, massive delays, reduction in trade volume, ... Unless that was the objective, of course.

Given UK regulators the ability and the resources to make sovereign decisions about globally significant mergers.

Sovereignty! We now choose to allow foreign interests to take over various strategic companies and utilities. It's a sovereign garage sale for private equity firms.

Launched and are undertaking reviews of the status and substance of retained EU law.

One would assume that you'd do this before leaving, but who am I to judge. AFAIK, Scotland and Wales are not all that happy about this either as they seem to think that a lot of these reviews should fall under devolved administrations' purview. Taking back control, I guess.

Reintroduced our iconic blue passports.

We need more benefits. Somebody find me a Brexit benefit!

Reviewing the EU ban on imperial markings and sales.

There was no such ban. Why not list a review on all the other things the EU never did to further pad out the list? "We reviewed the EU baby-eating mandate" I'm surprised prawn cocktail flavored crisps are not mentioned.

Enabling businesses to use a crown stamp symbol on pint glasses.

They could always have done so. They just didn't see why they should. I don't remember ever looking at the bottom of a glass and wondering about the stamp symbols

Honestly, I don't think anyone needs to read the rest. It's all mindless nationalism, some of it designed to play on xenophobia ("French"). I wonder who they are trying to reach with this, because they obviously think the audience is stupid and xenophobic enough to fall for what they're trying to pull. Do they think voters who fell for their rhetoric in 2016 routinely read policy documents? Will it make tabloid headlines when all these "points" have already been made and remade hundreds of times? Is it simply some red meat thrown to the radical Brexit MP's to drum up support for a failing government? Whatever it is, it is not a plan for a workable trade and economic policy.

Actually, do read on. The second page is equally ridiculous. Is it usual to consistently spell "Freeport" with a capital letter? Special mention goes to the chapter "Global Britain" which lists, among others, "carrier deployments to the Bay of Bengal" as a Brexit benefit. "Desperate" doesn't really cut it. This is a somewhat facetious post but I can just open the document on a random page and find yet more generic marketing spin full of platitudes and empty promises. Mocking it is probably the kindest thing you can do to it. This is advertising, not policy. One wonders who the target audience is supposed to be.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here