Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
U

I am facing reality, Labour members are never going to be happy with any of the four MPs you mention there. Labour MPs maybe, but not the members.
Clarke, although a more acceptable Tory than most of them, has nearly always voted against any kind of improvement of welfare benefits for anyone including the disabled. Nearly always voted for every austerity measure. Always voted against increase in taxation for those earning over £150,000.

David Liddington, was Mays defacto deputy,voted for austerity, for welfare and benefits cuts, voted against EU membership, more often than not. Voted against tax increases for those earning over £150,000.

Yvette Cooper, and Harriett Harmsn would never unite the left of the Labour Party behind them, and, although you may not like it, the left is in the ascent in the party at the moment. As Labour would bring the largest number of MPs to a Unity Government, I assume that, to a certain extent they would call the shots.

I really can’t see a Government of national unity anyway, I don’t think even the more Blairite members of the LP would be happy sharing a platform with Jo Swinson, a politician nearly as mendacious as Johnson.

I am no politico, but surely a temporary Government of NU, would be nothing to do with Labour party members. I assume it would be cobbled together behind the scenes by the MPs themselves. I stand to be corrected on this, though.
Is the Left really in the ascendancy in the Labour Party? We hear a lot of noise from McDonnell, but little from anybody else, excepting Emily Thornberry making a fool of herself on the telly recently!
Well, whatever Labour members feel, the acid test will be who the country vote for when the inevitable General Election finally arrives.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Gina Miller is trying to ensure that Johnson’s Government doesn’t subvert democracy, not the other way round. As I explained in an earlier post,we are a constitutional Monarchy, but, even the Government of the day is subservient to the rule of Law which along with Parliamentary sovereignty , and Court rulings, is the fundamental defining principles of our unwritten constitution.
Simplified, this means every individual, group, and even Government has to operate within the law of the land,Gina Millers group is just trying to ensure that Johnson’s Government is , in fact , operating within the Law. It may piss you off, but, I’m afraid, that’s democracy.

You are a braver man than me if you think our monosyllabic chum will even be able to read all that through to the end in one go, let alone understand what you mean.

I salute your indefatigability :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly, thank you for proving my point. Secondly, the referendum wasn’t legally binding. It was merely advisory. Thirdly, leave winning the referendum vote doesn’t suddenly mean that remainers and MPs suddenly stop the holding the government to account and using their DEMOCRATIC RIGHT to oppose bad deals and no deal.

You see, in the UK we regularly have a vote, reach an outcome, then at a later stage we challenge that outcome with another vote and can, if we wish, overturn it. That is our electoral cycle. We have a general election and elect a government. They have a go at implementing their policies. At some point later there is another election, and if those policies aren’t working and the will of the people has changed, we elect a different government. We change the outcome of the previous vote in a new vote. That is how our entire system works. It’s called democracy.

I’m sorry if that comes across as patronising but, from experience, some Brexiteers seem to struggle with what democracy actually means.

See post above.

I am yet again reminded of John Alderton attempting to educate Duffy in 'please sir'. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pritti Patel is saying she is going to get tough on criminals, so he might be made an example of to deter other Prime Ministers from breaking the law.

Incidentally she must be the first holder of one of the four high offices of the UK who thinks 'something' is best pronounced 'somethink'. She probably thinks it sounds posher, like people who think that 'bought' is the past tense of 'bring'. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also, incidentally, I love the smell of self-combusting gammon in the evening :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, no, no

Far more Frankie Abbott, but without the charm

Yes, you're right. I was wrong.

See how easily reasonable people can see the error of their ways and accept this gracefully? ??? There's a lesson for the more gammony Brexit element :lolol: :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw earlier that family of solicitors, Boots, Boots, Boots, Boots, Marchinup and Downagain was having a cheeky pop at me. I see another post of his, sandwiched between mine. A boots sandwich. I expect it is as indigestible as it sounds. But I won't be reading it - sorry Boots if you want to have a cheeky pop - you are invisible to me :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm surprised you didn't hear any news in the Bovril queue. :)

Where do you find Bovril queue on a caravan park site? Incidentally we were held up in the traffic after that crash in the A303 yesterday we moved 1/10th mile in 2 hours then the police decided to close the road and turned everybody around.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where do you find Bovril queue on a caravan park site. Incidentally we were held up in the traffic after that crash in the A303 yesterday we moved 1/10th mile in 2 hours then the police decided to close the road and turned everybody around.

We were in Cornwall, first week of August. I like to swim in the sea. It was still fairly 'fresh'. The idea of spending the first week of September in a Caravan near the Lizard (at your age) would be enough to drive me into a darkened room where only applying dubbin to a pair of my old boots (fortunately they are not mouldy) would restore my equilibrium.

Hats off to you :bowdown:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, it was Dennis Dunstable who was a bit slow on the uptake

But Dennis was a nice lad, Frankie was the idiot every one took the piss out of.

Far more Ppf, but less racist, as I remember :wink:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, it was Dennis Dunstable who was a bit slow on the uptake

They were all slow. But Dennis was nice, so he's completely out in this context. Abbott was a proto Sid Vicious, whereas Duffy was quite well-balanced, so [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] was correct.

Edit WZ beat me to it :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were in Cornwall, first week of August. I like to swim in the sea. It was still fairly 'fresh'. The idea of spending the first week of September in a Caravan near the Lizard (at your age) would be enough to drive me into a darkened room where only applying dubbin to a pair of my old boots (fortunately they are not mouldy) would restore my equilibrium.

Hats off to you :bowdown:

It was quite warm and comfortable but not sure that I will do it again. It was one of The Sun £9 deals, which in itself is a take on as you are bound to pay for other things like electric gas etc and the total cost for 3 rose to £93 but still cheap for 4 nights. The downside was we booked 2 nights at a pub in Shepton Mallett for Friday and Saturday nights, to break the journey home, but on arrival we found the pub shut with a notice on the door saying it had been repossessed by the landlords (probably Enterprise) so had to find alternative accommodation, which really p....d off my wife.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It was quite warm and comfortable but not sure that I will do it again. It was one of The Sun £9 deals, which in itself is a take on as you are bound to pay for other things like electric gas etc and the total cost for 3 rose to £93 but still cheap for 4 nights. The downside was we booked 2 nights at a pub in Shepton Mallett for Friday and Saturday nights, to break the journey home, but on arrival we found the pub shut with a notice on the door saying it had been repossessed by the landlords (probably Enterprise) so had to find alternative accommodation, which really p....d off my wife.

I assume you are back to relative civilisation in burgess hill now? (Relative!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here