Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry you seem to have been gone off the point of the thread (again).

Do you think that this 'new' deal from Johnson, is the 'good deal' that yourself and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] have been looking for the last 3.5 years ?

As nobody actually knows what the PROPOSED deal actually is ... apart from the government inner circle it's a tad difficult comment. Obviously as a major government ex-supplier you must know what it is so feel free to share with the class.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's just Project Fear, innit :facepalm:
How can 'they' not see it?

The Leave campaign have spent 3 years telling us it won't be like that.
They've corrupted people up and down the country into believing them.

Now have spent million of pounds telling everybody that's exactly what it's going to be like.
Adding so many new levels of bureaucracy, red tape, and general governmental meddling that the EU and our membership therein did away with decades ago.

The sheeple clearly had no idea what they were voting for. (BTW neither did I, worst campaign ever)

TBH I admire their commitment to the cause, as all the lies they believe unravel around them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As nobody actually knows what the PROPOSED deal actually is ... apart from the government inner circle it's a tad difficult comment. Obviously as a major government ex-supplier you must know what it is so feel free to share with the class.

And I thought you would just avoid the question :wink:

Do you think the widely leaked PROPOSED deal, (here are the basic details in case you haven't seen it)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49909866

will be the 'good deal' that you and JCFG have been waiting for ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Decades of sustained under investment in social housing, the promotion of house price inflation and the increasing availability of personal debt to finance housing are the stories behind the increased pressure on housing stock. It may not be as easy to point the finger at as foreigners coming here taking our homes, but it is true.

Five houses in my small avenue of 14 now second-homes or holiday cottages is a prime culprit as well. I went to Robin Hoods Bay last month, out of the 200 or so cottages in the old town, apparently only 40 people actually live there.

Jan 30, 2008
How can 'they' not see it?

The Leave campaign have spent 3 years telling us it won't be like that.
They've corrupted people up and down the country into believing them.

Now have spent million of pounds telling everybody that's exactly what it's going to be like.
Adding so many new levels of bureaucracy, red tape, and general governmental meddling that the EU and our membership therein did away with decades ago.

The sheeple clearly had no idea what they were voting for. (BTW neither did I, worst campaign ever)

TBH I admire their commitment to the cause, as all the lies they believe unravel around them.

#Patriots
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And it is possible to make predictions on knowledge at the time before all the facts come out. Here's one I did earlier (at the beginning of the Tory leadership campaign)

Impossible to make a prediction without knowing who the PM will be.

My good friend says she will make some completely impossible predictions then

1. Boris will get elected
2. He will try and 'rebrand' May's deal
3. We won't leave with 'no deal' on October 31st

(I guess that being proven correct with all her previous predictions on what would happen on every 'LEAVE means LEAVE' date so far, may have given her a completely unjustified level of confidence - we will see :))

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

See ? :D

So, with the current information available here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49909866

Do you think that this 'new' deal from Johnson, is the 'good deal' that you have been looking for the last 3.5 years ?

I'm off to do something and knowing your dislike of multi-tasking, I won't post again until I've finished. Gives you plenty of time to read the proposal, see what you think of it, and Maybe manage an answer :wave:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1183326005471121408[/tweet]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Is there a reason Migration WatchUK has presented figures for births just for England? Could it be that percentages look more dramatic that way?
From your second link " Midwife numbers have not kept pace with the overall growth in numbers of births because governments before 2010 permitted high levels of net migration without making sure that maternity services received adequate staffing"
So even migration watch, a site that starts with the premise that immigration on the recent scale is a problem says two factors, immigration plus under funding, are causing pressure on services.
The Crude Birth Rate for England and Wales last year was the lowest since records began in the 1930's, that is births per 1000 people, at 11.1 https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...letins/birthsummarytablesenglandandwales/2018

To keep our economy growing, immigration has been high, but we have been using that growth to pay down debt, not spend on public services. The debt became a large problem after a financial crash in 2008 if you recall. Immigration has helped dig us out of the hole Banks put us in, the lack of adequate public money being spent comes down to Tory decisions on how to spend public money, in the difficult circumstances of the wake of a financial crash.

Your link does not break down where in the world the non UK born mothers came from, nor does it account for the origins of the Father, not sure where Farages kids were born, but I suspect 2 of them would fall into this category. 2013 data shows most non UK born Mothers were from non EU countries. 8.7% of births were to EU, non UK Mothers, this includes Irish born Mothers, who have the right to live in the UK separate to EU Freedom of Movement, and will retain those rights.

There were around 650,000 babies born last year in England and Wales, the most recent high point was 2012 when 730,000 live births were recorded. 730,000 would have been a low year in the 1950's, in between the two Baby booms of the late 1940's and early '60's.

Immigration may be a problem in some ways, but it has been a solution in others, and there is no indication that Governments will stop using it as a solution after leaving the EU.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Not having 1000 people a day arriving in the UK, putting more pressure on our housing stock. In the process, driving up house prices and rents.

Then there's the pressure on the NHS, school places....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Do you mean the migrants working in the NHS, picking fruit, helping to staff care homes, working on building sites, teaching our kids... I could go on?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Five houses in my small avenue of 14 now second-homes or holiday cottages is a prime culprit as well. I went to Robin Hoods Bay last month, out of the 200 or so cottages in the old town, apparently only 40 people actually live there.

I regularly have holidays in Mousehole, near Penzance, have been told by the locals that come November through to April only 25% of the houses in town are occupied.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you mean the migrants working in the NHS, picking fruit, helping to staff care homes, working on building sites, teaching our kids... I could go on?

Yes, the ones making this economy the 5th biggest in the world by doing many of the jobs we don't do at the rate of pay that we wouldn't work for.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Decades of sustained under investment in social housing, the promotion of house price inflation and the increasing availability of personal debt to finance housing are the stories behind the increased pressure on housing stock. It may not be as easy to point the finger at as foreigners coming here taking our homes, but it is true.

They are some of the stories but unprecedented levels of immigration are also a factor, pretending otherwise is dishonest and pointless because it is true.

Migration watch is a completely non biased website, of course.

Theresa May moved the goalposts for immigration figures when she started including overseas students in her figures at the Home Office. These students pay full price for their uni courses, bringing in valuable income, and leave again 3 or 4 years later.
Boris Johnson, has already said that all foreign students can stay on for further two years, after their course has finished.
Do you really think that immigration will go down after Brexit? It won't.

Btw immigrants don't steal our jobs, but do pay income tax, and VAT which contributes to our economy.

Family breakdowns contribute to the housing crisis far more than immigrants. Single occupancy flats are far more in demand, than family homes.

Feel free to point out any inaccuracies in what they are stating.

Net Immigration has been running at unprecedented levels well before May or Cameron came to office, see the Blair years. EU net immigration has already fallen considerably since the 2016 referendum which will please leave voters who thought those levels were unsustainable, as for the future, it depends on who is in power (Boris = points-based system, Corbyn = open door) and if we have enacted the majority will of the people as expressed in a referendum and a general election.

Who said immigrants 'steal' jobs? As ever in this debate when extremist remainers can't accept indisputable facts like high levels of immigration have some negative effects (increased pressure on housing/services) they jump to misrepresent or strawman leavers arguments. Immigration is generally a good thing but continuous unplanned large-scale net immigration causes problems.

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, the ones making this economy the 5th biggest in the world by doing many of the jobs we don't do at the rate of pay that we wouldn't work for.
cheap labour? , 5th BIGGEST ECONOMY IN THE WORLD tell that to Drunker and co....................get ready for Brexit
regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here