Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It’ll be 5years of pain. That’s 5 years folks, if we leave with no deal.

After that...I reckon we’ll be good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The UK jobs market is in rude health, record employment, vacancies at a record high, higher wage growth .. sorry if these facts disturb your bubble/echo chamber of misery and doom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47290331

Sorry if the actual facts disturb your bubble....

https://www.businessinsider.com/une...e-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7?r=US&IR=T

"The problem with this record is that the statistical definition of "unemployment" relies on a fiction that economists tell themselves about the nature of work. As the rate gets lower and lower, it tests that lie. Because — as anyone who has studied basic economics knows — the official definition of unemployment disguises the true rate. In reality, about 21.5% of all working-age people (defined as ages 16 to 64) are without jobs, or 8.83 million people, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That's more than four times the official number."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just trying to create a bit of positivety around the place, that's all.

Keep up the positive news feeds, a small furious clique on here will hate it as it doesn’t fit their agenda or negative outlook, but they are not worth worrying about

Overseas investment into the UK at highest ever level

The value of FDI positions held by foreign investors in the UK (inward investment) increased from £1,032.5 billion in 2015 to £1,199.5 billion in 2016

The value of the UK’s inward foreign direct investment (FDI) position increased by £149.2 billion to £1,336.5 billion in 2017 from 2016.

Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show stocks from across Asia have increased by more than 33% in 2017 to £128 billion and stocks from Japan increased by 71% to £78 billion. The greatest growth from any country has come from Indian investors, rising 321% to £8 billion.
The figures show that investors have maintained confidence in the UK as an investment destination, with the value of the UK’s FDI stocks as a whole increasing by 12.6% to £1,337 billion in 2017 when compared with the previous year. The UK’s world-leading financial services sector attracted more FDI than any other industry, accounting for 28.8% of total inward investment, accumulating over £385 billion by the end of 2017.
And the UK’s largest investor, the US, also showed a significant increase in FDI stocks, increasing by 19.5% to £351 billion.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/overseas-investment-into-the-uk-at-highest-ever-level

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nati...vestmentinvolvingukcompanies/previousReleases

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You repeatedly tell people they "spout a load of toss". That's not abusive? The reason I refer to you as being as thick as shit and the reason you don't refer to me as being thick as shit is because you are as thick as shit and I am not as thick as shit. See?

Righto, have a nice weekend. Layaz Playaz.

You are getting angrier and angrier every day, its not good for your health working yourself into such hysteria, perhaps it is time you took Tubbies advice and stepped "away from your computer".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’ll be 5years of pain. That’s 5 years folks, if we leave with no deal.

After that...I reckon we’ll be good.

Double it and you'll be nearer the mark. So many WTO and trade deals to sort.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did anyone see the magnificent staring competition that happened between Will Self and Mark Francois on Politics Live this afternoon? It was the best bit of telly for ages.

Yes. I'm not a huge fan of Will Self but he made a very good point. After quite clearly saying that there are many good reasons to leave the EU, he was saying that racists and Anti-Semites probably voted Brexit. His point being that people can confuse feeling of "Nationalism" with "Ethno Nationalism".

Quite an academic point and the MP completely missed it asking him to apologise for accusing Brexit supporters of racism which he clearly wasn't.

( I suspect he got it completely, but used it as an opportunity to have a rant )

I'm struggling to understand from even a Conservative supporting perspective how anyone would vote for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1104245439115726848[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, I think if we were at the stage we are now with no deal preparations say just six months into the negotiations it would be clear that the UK was serious about leaving without a deal if necessary which would have applied more pressure on the EU side.

I'm not sure with 20 days to go, that a couple of days of dredging, a convoy of 80 lorries and a dustcart going down the M20 and some Government departments publishing a few papers has convinced the EU that we are seriously preparing for 'no deal'.

And I would think that even 6 months into the negotiations the same level of investment wouldn't have convinced anyone. I rather suspect that with 18 months to go, the EU would have said 'when they start negotiating their WTO schedules, building customs posts and lorry parks, commissioning IT systems and infrastructure and start recruiting staff, we'll take 'no deal' seriously'.

And, as I may have mentioned before, had we started immediately after the referendum, I don't think 3 years was sufficient time to complete all the above.

Besides which, I wonder how much 'pressure' we would have to apply to get the EU to renege on it's core principles. I believe the position we are now in was completely predictable from the day after the referendum. 3 years on, still no answer to NI/Ireland and not the faintest idea of how we could operate outside of the customs union with no hard border :shrug:

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, more important things today :albion2:

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yes. I'm not a huge fan of Will Self but he made a very good point. After quite clearly saying that there are many good reasons to leave the EU, he was saying that racists and Anti-Semites probably voted Brexit. His point being that people can confuse feeling of "Nationalism" with "Ethno Nationalism".

Quite an academic point and the MP completely missed it asking him to apologise for accusing Brexit supporters of racism which he clearly wasn't.

( I suspect he got it completely, but used it as an opportunity to have a rant )

I'm struggling to understand from even a Conservative supporting perspective how anyone would vote for him.

Will Self is pretty much like some of the more supercilious remainiacs on here, a thoroughly, nasty, spiteful, nation loathing gobshite.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The negativity is terrible. I will keep doing the job posts. I think it's important to show this country isn't going down the pan. But I also think it's important to wait 12 months to see how Brexit pans out.

If we leave with Mays transition deal it will mean we are essentially non voting members for 2 years plus, it will be hard to judge after a year. In this 2 years we will likely see a bit of progress towards the trade deal that May is aiming at, which will not be Brexity enough for the ERG and too Brexity for remain MP's. And there will be a General Election in that 2 years, and who knows from here what will happen then? I suspect Labour would stand on a Norway plus customs Union stance on Brexit, which if we have already left and can't just revoke anymore, will get a lot of support from the population that would have preferred to remain.
I promise you this, if we leave, we will end up in a relationship with the EU that will leave a lot of leave supporters feeling that Brexit has not really happened in the way it was sold to them, because what was sold is undeliverable. We can't have the same benefits out as in, not without ceding some of the other promises, like ending freedom of movement of people.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Brexit isn't happening people. Time to face the truth and realise that we're staying in \o/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not this evening chaps.

One day off can't hurt, can it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here