Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we really need another centre back?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
With Goldson and Huenemeier soon to return from injury, Dunk and Bruno, plus Hall and White, do we really need another centre back? Also Ince used to be a Centre back before being molded into a defensive midfielder. With 4 clean sheets on the bounce there doesn't appear to be too much wrong!!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Goldson is a couple of weeks away.
Uwe has been 'close' for about 6 months. Don't bank on his immediate return.
Hall and White untested.
Bruno doing great but we have no cover at either full back, if Bruno is in the middle. (We are actually missing Inigo Calderon right now).
Its a long season, and people WILL get injured and suspended.
There are no short term loans.

So yes, we 100% need another centre back.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I don't think we do. I have a feeling that we may be back in for Ben Marshall. Can play on either wing and in both full back spots. If reports are true and that we had a scout at the Blackburn game yesterday then I think it was Marshall and not Duffy who is the target.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't think we do. I have a feeling that we may be back in for Ben Marshall. Can play on either wing and in both full back spots. If reports are true and that we had a scout at the Blackburn game yesterday then I think it was Marshall and not Duffy who is the target.

Interesting. Coyle said that Duffy and Marshall's "heads had been turned" by interest from other clubs (Celtic in the case of Duffy, unmentioned in the case of Marshall). If we could get Marshall he would give us serious competition for the full back slots as well as cover (not that its needed) on the wing. He has always impressed when he's played down here with Rovers and would be an excellent fit with our style of play.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Id love to sign Marshall... I'd expect it would mean the end of Kaz though

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I think there's enough depth in that position to see us thru until Goldson and Huenemeier return. Hall played for Motherwell, White had shown great potential, and Rowan Ince is not a bad 7th choice centre back!! We have Dunk, Goldson, Huenemeier, Bruno, Hall, White, and Ince! Can't see the need myself!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, although we could get a fullback instead.

6 first team defenders for a 46 game season isn't enough.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think there's enough depth in that position to see us thru until Goldson and Huenemeier return. Hall played for Motherwell, White had shown great potential, and Rowan Ince is not a bad 7th choice centre back!! We have Dunk, Goldson, Huenemeier, Bruno, Hall, White, and Ince! Can't see the need myself!

Exactly my thinking. I just don't see the need as when everyone is fit we will have Dunk, Goldson, Huenemeier plus Hall and White.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
100% no, no we don't. That money would be wasted, we have Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and Bruno - with Hall and White who can step up. At full back we have Bruno, Rosenior, Bong and then Hunt and Adekugbe to come in should we get an injury. I don't think it would serve us very well having players sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time. It might leave us short but there are always options and you never know how good the young players are going to be until they get their chance to step up.

I wouldn't be in any rush to sign any defenders, I think the only position we're light on quality in is up front - I'd like to see us bring in a proper #9 type striker to play with Murray and have Hemed and Baldock as the hail mary options off the bench.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Discussions on Talk Sport this morning (Alan Brazil) that WBA are making a fresh play for Dunk - Didn't hear it myself, have just been told by a work colleague who heard whilst driving into work

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Dunk nearly got concussed on Tuesday night. We already had a RB in CB position and would've been forced to use an inexperienced youngster from the bench.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
WBA due to make an offer for Dunk according to a mate who was asking how good he is

I done quite get how the system will work this year, with no emergency loans allowed. Albion clearly won't sell Dunk without identifying a replacement and agreeing terms, in effect a back to back deal. So WBA making a late swoop (and we are getting to a point of it being late) might not give enough time for a replacement to be identified and terms agreed. Could be worst of all worlds if Dunk gets pissed off a la Buckley.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think we do. When fit we have 6 first team defenders. The others are back up. They might be fine for 'doing a job' but if we're serious about automatic promotion it would be a hell of a gamble. We need another first team ready defender. With Bruno showing himself to be a capable option in the centre we don't necessarily need another centre back, a full back(ideally able to play either side) is possibly a better bet. Either way we need one more defender.

And that striker/no. 10/attacking player that we've talked about all summer.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I done quite get how the system will work this year, with no emergency loans allowed. Albion clearly won't sell Dunk without identifying a replacement and agreeing terms, in effect a back to back deal. So WBA making a late swoop (and we are getting to a point of it being late) might not give enough time for a replacement to be identified and terms agreed. Could be worst of all worlds if Dunk gets pissed off a la Buckley.

If this latest 'rumour' has any substance then surely our alleged interest in Duffy would make sense. As always the last couple of weeks of the transfer window are full of rumours. I'm sure if Dunk was to be allowed to go an immediate replacement would be incoming, if not already signed.

I believe Dunk will still be here on September 1st. :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need to replace Greer. I have a nagging feeling that Hünemeier won't be back for a while.

If Dunk gets injured/sent off again we are in deep do do.

We haven't played the better attacking sides yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here