Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
On that topic, we have several Davids on the plot...
Builder Dave - talks like he's on a building site
Potato Dave - no explanation
Dave aka Bear Grylls - saves newts at the weekends
My David - mummy's boy

:lol:

The great disappointment of the year has been broad beans. My Dad had virtually
nothing on his Patcham allotment. And yet, a meal of bacon, potatoes (with butter) and broad beans is the best
meal that I have ever eaten. Oh well, next year.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
It's been an absolute superb year considering I only took my plot on just before easter.

Allotments are very "feast or famine" things.....now's the "feast" time. I'm getting a bucketful of runner and French beans every other day.....luckily i have lots of good friends and family who love the veg. At one point I was getting 10 courgettes a day!!!

Other things that have done well are beetroot, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, outdoor cucumbers, lettuce and salad crops.

Still to come are the Sweetcorn which I can't wait for, parsnips, leeks, cauliflower, sprouts, broccoli plus more beetroot, carrots, French beans and spuds.

All in all, it's been a brilliant first year. I've now got a 3m x 2m fruit cage plus a hand built greenhouse ready for next year. Can't wait

el punal

Courgettes! Bloody courgettes!! We’ve had so many it’s like ‘Day of the Triffids’. Ignore picking them for one day and they become absolute monsters that Ann Summers would be proud of. Mrs.Punal has made salads out of them, baked cakes with them, chargrilled them, made muffins - the list goes on. We’ve given them to all friends and neighbours and have set up a stall outside our house for passers-by to help themselves. :eek:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Early visit this morning. Good water pressure and beautiful grey sky. Picked 8 types of veg (separating green and yellow corvettes) and 2 fruits. Leaving the other tomatoes for a day in the sun. First year of radicchio. Slugs and snails loved the bed but the 40 I killed have luckily only damaged the outer leaves.

View attachment 126888

Screenshot_20200812-131234_Gallery.jpg

Not as colourful as yours, but still a good pick from this morning, in our Middlesex trug :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If anyone needs a load of soil for their allotment / garden, PM me as I have a big pile to get shot of. Already had a few visitors from the Mile Oak allotment who took about 4 car loads. :smile:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The great disappointment of the year has been broad beans. My Dad had virtually
nothing on his Patcham allotment. And yet, a meal of bacon, potatoes (with butter) and broad beans is the best
meal that I have ever eaten. Oh well, next year.

There is a very large field betwixt Storrington and Amberley which should be rammed with BB's . . . .it was flodded for 2 months in Jan Feb and is now looking like a desert, I think the farmer may have abandoned the whole crop. Sad. Ours have been crap on the alotment as well . . . . . made up for by several cubic metres of courgettes!!!!! soup with onion garlic and parmesan!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
View attachment 127018

Not as colourful as yours, but still a good pick from this morning, in our Middlesex trug :lol:

Ice cream cartons this morning. Great tomato crop but didn’t get beefsteak toms this year and regretting it. Sungold (orangey colour) perfect, small red Gardener’s Delight slightly mushy, ditto the big outdoor ones.

Can you identify the leaf problem from the greenhouse G Delights? Erratic watering? Burn? 4CE915D6-F3E7-493E-9DC0-02BC19C6C750.jpeg

4CE915D6-F3E7-493E-9DC0-02BC19C6C750.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ice cream cartons this morning. Great tomato crop but didn’t get beefsteak toms this year and regretting it. Sungold (orangey colour) perfect, small red Gardener’s Delight slightly mushy, ditto the big outdoor ones.

Can you identify the leaf problem from the greenhouse G Delights? Erratic watering? Burn? View attachment 127058

View attachment 127058
I'm growing Gardeners Delight and I'm having no problem. It looks like a nutrient deficiency of some sort to me... Try Epsom Salts or a liquid seaweed feed alternately with tomato fertiliser and see what happens.. Here is my solitary Tomato plant in its Quadgrow in my greenhouse..
d938db3b52f3f4d3f157698f2468dfd9.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Can you identify the leaf problem from the greenhouse G Delights? Erratic watering? Burn? View attachment 127058

View attachment 127058

I'm growing Gardeners Delight and I'm having no problem. It looks like a nutrient deficiency of some sort to me... Try Epsom Salts or a liquid seaweed feed alternately with tomato fertiliser and see what happens.. Here is my solitary Tomato plant in its Quadgrow in my greenhouse..
d938db3b52f3f4d3f157698f2468dfd9.jpg

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/yellow-tomato-leaves.htm

Too much, too little watering I'd guess :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

View attachment 127058

Screenshot_20200813-111312_Gallery.jpg

Open for business :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I missed that one. Very nice. Just had a month’s holiday decided to leave the toms to the elements whilst away and got around 20lbs of tastiness for bottling
.View attachment 129132

Put Green seaweed down before we left and It’s turned into spaghetti!
View attachment 129133

Very nice, you might be onto something regarding your spaghetti:lol:

We're transferring all our compost onto beds soon, let the worms and other critters do the test.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

On your marks, get set, GO. Ready to go indeed. Great seating area.
We’ve argued about my overwintering Broad Beans. This was them end of November. I’ll post a pic next time I’m there to show how overprotecting them before the frost was an epic failure. All my spaghetti has broken down and gone from view.

4FF3821D-F3BA-46F4-BA2B-90E8AD3BE2D8.jpeg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On your marks, get set, GO. Ready to go indeed. Great seating area.
We’ve argued about my overwintering Broad Beans. This was them end of November. I’ll post a pic next time I’m there to show how overprotecting them before the frost was an epic failure. All my spaghetti has broken down and gone from view.

View attachment 134748

Cheers :thumbsup:
We've already got garlic, red onions and shallots in the ground for starters.
I think sometimes it's not so much failure, but dependant on our weather and the hardiness of the seeds.
A neighbour of ours tried growing winter onions wirh great success, whereas ours rotted :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers :thumbsup:
We've already got garlic, red onions and shallots in the ground for starters.
I think sometimes it's not so much failure, but dependant on our weather and the hardiness of the seeds.
A neighbour of ours tried growing winter onions wirh great success, whereas ours rotted :lolol:

I fully agree with you but she doesn’t. It’s my fault, of course. 😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here