Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Too hot for me along at the Weald Site off Old Shoreham Road/Nevil Avenue. Luckily we're off to Ireland for our hols. :lolol:

I don't like the heat and humidity eg that horrible July heatwave, especially oppressively hot nights, plus I'm wary of sun damage.

If only every summer today could be just like today ..... dreaming.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't like the heat and humidity eg that horrible July heatwave, especially oppressively hot nights, plus I'm wary of sun damage.

If only every summer today could be just like today ..... dreaming.

I'd go further. If only every Summer could be like this Summer. Plenty of rain. Just the odd heatwave, but nothing relentless. More cloudy days than sunny ones.

Perfect in my book :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
B

I'd go further. If only every Summer could be like this Summer. Plenty of rain. Just the odd heatwave, but nothing relentless. More cloudy days than sunny ones.

Perfect in my book :thumbsup:

In this neck of the woods, we had huge droughts and searing temps for several summers in a row up to last year. Very common in this millennium … climate change. This summer has been the exception. Other than a very dry and cold April, since then every few weeks a few inches of rain has fallen over just two or three days. Our garden hedges, perennials and lawn look amazing. Complete contrast to the parched garden last year fir example. Perfect for gardens.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In this neck of the woods, we had huge droughts and searing temps for several summers in a row up to last year. Very common in this millennium … climate change. This summer has been the exception. Other than a very dry and cold April, since then every few weeks a few inches of rain has fallen over just two or three days. Our garden hedges, perennials and lawn look amazing. Complete contrast to the parched garden last year fir example. Perfect for gardens.

To be fair, I've found this year as much as a challenge growing as a hot dry year. As you say, April was bone dry and freezing cold. May was very wet and not very warm or sunny. Hence, everything got off to a very slow start.

Last year was a bumper year. A very warm Spring had everything growing really strong. But I'm also an old hippy, and I strongly believe that EVERYTHING nature wise flourished last year. I put that down to the massive reduction in human activity myself.

I'm certainly not looking forward to future Summers, that's for sure. It's clear that the overall trend is for hotter drier Summers, and warmer wetter Winters. And yep, I completely agree as to why that is :(

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Tell me about it ..trying to keep on top of work has been a challenge this year ..but preferable to the last few years

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone finding this glorious weather enhancing the growing season for seeds.
Our onions are way ahead of where they should be.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Peas are coming through under a little plastic tunnel. Got some Autumn King carrot seeds in, but no show yet.
Got my first early spuds in, bit not the maincrop yet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Early bonfire today. Blue skies but the sea fret arrived by 7am. First asparagus bunch meeting the last of the purple sprouting that is desperately trying to go to seed. All potatoes starting to peek out and flowers beginning on the strawberries.

Attachments

• IMG-20220402-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220402-WA0000.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 54

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20220415-132212_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220415-132229_Gallery.jpg

A cherry tree we rescued from our neighbours garden.
Was on its last legs, until we took it up to our plot.
Hoping for cherries :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here