Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You see things are meant to happen, even inadvertently:lol:
Good idea for the stems, we use them for stopping pigeons etc....pecking at our greens, sticking them in and around, which does work.

Yes, I use old Blackcurrant stems as support for Peas and as rustic row markers.....,, this year two used as row markers are now sprouting leaves and flowers !

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yes, I use old Blackcurrant stems as support for Peas and as rustic row markers.....,, this year two used as row markers are now sprouting leaves and flowers !

Screenshot_20200512-195433_Gallery.jpg

Taken a week ago.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Are we all keeping on top of the watering?

Bought a few lengths of these the other day for growing my leeks in. Cut them into 8" lengths and tap them into a pre drilled hole in the ground and pop a leek in and water.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/FloPlast-W...VN83GwG9KFMlV89SkIyPxcPe-8dHdHnNWVshWnBOyxCY#

Being on serious clay soil, i use one of these for drilling holes in the soil.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Garden...=402092449349053c4088f8c34f50becdf5ff20eb4b47

You've only had that pipe a short while and already it's full of leeks! :down:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Are we all keeping on top of the watering?

Bought a few lengths of these the other day for growing my leeks in. Cut them into 8" lengths and tap them into a pre drilled hole in the ground and pop a leek in and water.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/FloPlast-W...VN83GwG9KFMlV89SkIyPxcPe-8dHdHnNWVshWnBOyxCY#

Being on serious clay soil, i use one of these for drilling holes in the soil.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Garden...=402092449349053c4088f8c34f50becdf5ff20eb4b47

You've only had that pipe a short while and already it's full of leeks! :down:

Screenshot_20200527-104241_Gallery.jpg

Bliss :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Usually grow winter cauliflowers as they look after themselves and ready end of March/April.
This year tried some plugs in March. 5 beautiful cauli’s sizing up progressively nicely. Cutting this one today.
How are the rest of you doing?
9CFD33DD-CFF1-4C08-9C6C-189D246FB253.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Early visit this morning. Good water pressure and beautiful grey sky. Picked 8 types of veg (separating green and yellow corvettes) and 2 fruits. Leaving the other tomatoes for a day in the sun. First year of radicchio. Slugs and snails loved the bed but the 40 I killed have luckily only damaged the outer leaves.

47A38A6D-738C-4858-AB39-CC42BC95755F.jpeg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Early visit this morning. Good water pressure and beautiful grey sky. Picked 8 types of veg (separating green and yellow corvettes) and 2 fruits. Leaving the other tomatoes for a day in the sun. First year of radicchio. Slugs and snails loved the bed but the 40 I killed have luckily only damaged the outer leaves.

View attachment 126888

Wow, that’s rather impressive. Better than my efforts in a planter but we’re improving!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

View attachment 126888

That looks a great pick, bloody disgrace, should be in a Sussex trug:lol:
Our corvette plants have exhausted all their energy, now dug up to make room for the butternut squash to grow.
Sweetcorn developing nicely, toms in poly tunnel beginning to turn red, onions and garlic drying out nicely in poly tunnel and the kale and red cabbage beginning to mature.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My Corvette plants have been in for ages, produced a couple of flowers but still no fruit (or veg?). Can I do anything to get them going?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That looks a great pick, bloody disgrace, should be in a Sussex trug:lol:
Our corvette plants have exhausted all their energy, now dug up to make room for the butternut squash to grow.
Sweetcorn developing nicely, toms in poly tunnel beginning to turn red, onions and garlic drying out nicely in poly tunnel and the kale and red cabbage beginning to mature.

Good point about the plastic, Johnny come lately trug.

Many having trouble with squash plants on Weald Allotment, Hove, this year. Not filling out. Hope Ruislip fares better. Borlotti’s have only just flowered too, which is a month later than normal.

Great that nature and the weather make it so bloody difficult. Win some lose some.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Good point about the plastic, Johnny come lately trug.

Many having trouble with squash plants on Weald Allotment, Hove, this year. Not filling out. Hope Ruislip fares better. Borlotti’s have only just flowered too, which is a month later than normal.

Great that nature and the weather make it so bloody difficult. Win some lose some.

Did try growing Bellotti a while back, but they kept dying.
Our Borlotti's are at the same stage as yours.
Plenty of watering to do tomorrow, will be up there around 6.30ish :yawn::thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Build a bonfire. The heat has made me slow...

On that topic, we have several Davids on the plot...
Builder Dave - talks like he's on a building site
Potato Dave - no explanation
Dave aka Bear Grylls - saves newts at the weekends
My David - mummy's boy

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here