Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious plans for Shoreham Cement Works

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i can't help that you're baffled, nor am I living in a box. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

... this is the most likely attitude to the plans from the planning authority - the people who matter.

The planning authority for our move to Withdean were minded to approve it but it still didn't stop people objecting and putting up a fight. Likewise for the Amex ( excluding the bit covered by LDC ).

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The planning authority for our move to Withdean were minded to approve it but it still didn't stop people objecting and putting up a fight. Likewise for the Amex ( excluding the bit covered by LDC ).

But the arguments being put across are simply 'because that's what people do...'

My question was 'why would they do that?' As in, 'what are the grounds of their objections?', not 'why are they such bellchops?'

The fact the plan is in the National Park is not, in itself, a reason to object.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On, you mean BEEDING cement works!?

Never in my 45 years have I heard it referred to as Shoreham (yes I know that's what the article calls it, and what it is probably really named).

Plans look great, but far fetched. Never going to happen.
Eh? I've lived in Sussex since 1965 (Lancing until 1991, then Brighton) and I've heard it referred to as 'Shoreham cement works' far, far more times than any other name. That's certainly the name I use.

This plan, like all the others, is a complete non-starter of course. However it is WAY better than the lunatic hare-brained suggestion that the site would have made a good home for the Albion. The stadium at Falmer can just about cope with the current transport links, can you imagine what the queues would be like if the only access was via a narrow country lane and a dismanted branch line? There'd still be people there waiting to get home from the Doncaster game.

Dec 29, 2011
Eh? I've lived in Sussex since 1965 (Lancing until 1991, then Brighton) and I've heard it referred to as 'Shoreham cement works' far, far more times than any other name. That's certainly the name I use.

This plan, like all the others, is a complete non-starter of course. However it is WAY better than the lunatic hare-brained suggestion that the site would have made a good home for the Albion. The stadium at Falmer can just about cope with the current transport links, can you imagine what the queues would be like if the only access was via a narrow country lane and a dismanted branch line? There'd still be people there waiting to get home from the Doncaster game.

Never ever heard it called Beeding Cement works, only Shoreham Cement Works.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
However it is WAY better than the lunatic hare-brained suggestion that the site would have made a good home for the Albion. The stadium at Falmer can just about cope with the current transport links, can you imagine what the queues would be like if the only access was via a narrow country lane and a dismanted branch line? There'd still be people there waiting to get home from the Doncaster game.

Shhh ..... you'll upset Bens Grandad !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact the plan is in the National Park is not, in itself, a reason to object.

unfortunatly theres a lot of people with time on their hand to vociferously say otherwise. i know of a minor development where, among other objections, people are complaining that people may walk past their house, and this is an invasion of privacy. they used to complain about the farmer putting crap on his field, spoilt the view of the countryside and obviously smelt. of course thats what happens if you move to a house next to a farm.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My Dad's family were, and are, from Henfield and Steyning. It was always Beeding Cement works.

The sign says Shoreham. Beeding Sidings.

Somewhere to house asylum seekers?

Basically the same reason a sports stadium was no good there. The transport links are naff.

Sell the site? Pay someone to take it off the owner's hands!

thats a redevelopment of an industrial site though isnt it? i meant that the national park status will be used as the starting point for objections, not that the authority will auto-object.

No. The approved housing development at Old Malling Farm, Lewes, is on what the South Downs Society calls "quality agricultural land". And it's been through a public inquiry, which ended with the Planning Inspector approving the planning application.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
No more houses until the people live in the area have something to actually do!

Decent leisure facilities needed first instead of increasing the population of B&H. Turn it into a theme park :)

I often wonder what those City Buses do after showing tourists the Pavillion and Pier.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
No. The approved housing development at Old Malling Farm, Lewes, is on what the South Downs Society calls "quality agricultural land". And it's been through a public inquiry, which ended with the Planning Inspector approving the planning application.

i hadn't realised they planned development that side too. well good on the SDNT authority to approve. i wonder how many of the South Downs Society and Friends of Lewes live in Malling, Landport, Neville and other parts built since the 60's.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
while i eat my lunch i have solved the park and ride vs parking outside ones house issue. smart cars! they could run a small fleet to shuttle you from the car park to you home, which could be fitted with a garage like docking bay to get in/out in the dry. who do i speak to about this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Decent leisure facilities needed first instead of increasing the population of B&H. Turn it into a theme park :)

I often wonder what those City Buses do after showing tourists the Pavillion and Pier.

It's not in the same county.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014

I seem to remember in the 90's that an application for a winter sports park with dry slope skiing etc was rejected.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The sign says Shoreham. Beeding Sidings.

Somewhere to house asylum seekers?

Basically the same reason a sports stadium was no good there. The transport links are naff.

Sell the site? Pay someone to take it off the owner's hands!

You obviously haven't read the article. So why comment?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

It's over 11 miles from Brighton (Burgess Hill is closer to Brighton), outside the city and in a different county. Apart from that, excellent analysis.

Jul 7, 2003
A river would flow through the development, giving the eco-village a Venice-like feel. Only zero-carbon buses would run through the site, with cars left on the outskirts at a park and ride facility.
There would be office space, restaurants and shops, a visitor’s centre for the national park, an outdoor activities centre, and even a zipwire to travel from one end of the chalk pit to the other.
There are plans for a primary school, health centre and an auditorium.

None of which you will be able to see as the area will be shrouded in mist from the river.

But the rail route is still there up to and beyond the cement works. It's only just north of there that the track was used for the Bramber / Beeding bypass and then housing in Steyning.

They could re-establish the spur to there, surely?

Only if they replace the bridge that they took out near the Swiss Cottage pub

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Is it not the perfect opportunity to build a SE version of The Eden Project. A real attraction that would bring hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area just to see it (unlike the i360)
A real boost to the local economy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here