Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell signed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely right. We had him here on loan and he was great for us. But he deemed himself to be too good for us and to be honest, he probably was at the time. I hate it when we accept these players when they are well past their sell by date.

10 years too late.
Better sack Bobby Z then, or lend him out, and consign all memories of Vicente to the trash bin. Obviously they should never have been allowed near our first team.........

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
Think there are other areas we should be strengthening in than centre mid, kayal Stephens Croats towell Holla (I know Holla is last option) but we have less cover for full backs and most obvious area is strikers....of course sidwell would add something but I'm not thinking we desperately need him.......

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Full backs, full backs, we need lots and lots of full backs, we can play 4 on each flank plus two central defenders... bliss!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Think there are other areas we should be strengthening in than centre mid, kayal Stephens Croats towell Holla (I know Holla is last option) but we have less cover for full backs and most obvious area is strikers....of course sidwell would add something but I'm not thinking we desperately need him.......

We need strong experienced options in the centre mid. If we don't get autmatically promoted we are going to have to be strong in all areas for the playoff position plus the knockout stage.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Ha yer right. Stephens and kayal have looked tired last few weeks and sidwell is definitely better than crofts.

He'd be first choice cover for Kayal and Stephens, and a possible option for rotation if one of them needed a break. Replacement for Ince my left foot!

He'd be behind Crofts? Are you taking the piss?
It's all about opinions really and potentially discussing someone who could come in. Since Crofts has come back from injury he has featured in near enough every game, like Ince was before Crofts returning so it's clear to see that Hughton rates him and sees him as a valuable player to have in the squad. Whether or not Sidwell is better than Crofts we'll have to wait and see but with Towell now on our books I don't think central midfield is a place that really needs strengthening.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If and it is only an if, would we be likely to revert to 451/433?
Stockdale
Bruno Dunk Goldson/Greer Ridgewell
Stephens Sidwell Kayal
Knockaert Lualua
Zamora/Wilson

We would still have Crofts Towell Murphy and Hemed/Baldock on the bench.
Dare I say it, we might not need to spend millions on a striker.

I've got a feeling the service to the loan striker would be better and there is enough goals in that midfield, or at least there should be.

Kinda hope I'm wrong, maybe its just my cynical side, but I can see why they might be reluctant to spend money now.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Naylor tweet sort of confirms it...

BREAKING NEWS: Confirmed from an impeccable source Albion fighting with Fulham to sign Sidwell. Fact he's here suggests they've won! #bhafc

Which suggests that Fulham have won the signing hence the word THEY'VE

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stockdale
Stephens Sidwell Kayal
Knockaert Lualua
Zamora/Wilson

Put Bong in there instead of Ridgwell and I'd be confident of winning a substantial majority of matches.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Which suggests that Fulham have won the signing hence the word THEY'VE

HA HA HA !! Saying that though would it mean they've won if you see what i mean ! hmmmmmmmm im confused and nee alcohol

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Absolutely right. We had him here on loan and he was great for us. But he deemed himself to be too good for us and to be honest, he probably was at the time. I hate it when we accept these players when they are well past their sell by date.

10 years too late.

Really? I'm sure I heard him say somewhere that he absolutely loved his time at the Albion and wanted to stay permanently. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford him and when Reading came in for him, he asked if he could finish the season here first. Predictably, Reading refused.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Put Bong in there instead of Ridgwell and I'd be confident of winning a substantial majority of matches.

Yes, Bong would definitely be in there when he's fit, its actually very attack minded but...
We've waited so long for 442 :lol:

I think Hughton said his preferred formation was 451/433 when he joined us so I've been waiting for him to revert to type, maybe he just didn't feel he had the right players for it.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Stockdale
Stephens Sidwell Kayal
Knockaert Lualua
Zamora/Wilson

Dare I say it, we might not need to spend millions on a striker.

I've got a feeling the service to the loan striker would be better and there is enough goals in that midfield, or at least there should be.

Kinda hope I'm wrong, maybe its just my cynical side, but I can see why they might be reluctant to spend money now.
Dare I say it, but the goal difference says otherwise. A goal scorer is a must to guarantee top 6. Sidwell, Yep, I'm in.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Dare I say it, but the goal difference says otherwise. A goal scorer is a must to guarantee top 6. Sidwell, Yep, I'm in.

Dont get me wrong, I really hope we sign that prolific goal scorer over the next week, but at the prices being quoted I could understand if we don't.
Plus i know Middlesbrough, are trying to sign a striker, but their top scorer has less than Zamora, but the rest of their team are chipping in so their goal difference is far superior to ours.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Plus i know Middlesbrough, are trying to sign a striker, but their top scorer has less than Zamora, but the rest of their team are chipping in so their goal difference is far superior to ours.

Stuani has 10, Zamora 7

Edit: let you off, just seen 4 of Stuani's 10 have been in cup, so yes, their top scorer has fewer league goals than Bobby :thumbsup:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Dont get me wrong, I really hope we sign that prolific goal scorer over the next week, but at the prices being quoted I could understand if we don't.
The rest of ours don't chip in enough. Big gamble to rely on Lua Lua to recapture his early season goal scoring form. Murphy seems to have faded a bit, so I'm not sure where other goals will come from. Even if we spend anywhere close to what was allegedly going to be spent in the South Americans, it will be cheap compared to what others in the top 6 have spent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here