Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Major Tim Peake - Sussex's First Astronaut

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On the 15th of December British astronaut Tim Peake (born in Chichester), will launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan aboard a Russian Soyuz rocket, accompanied by American astronaut Tim Kopra and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko, which will take him to become the first ever British astronaut on the International Space Station. He'll be staying up there until early June next year, so approximately 6 months.

I believe BBC2 are planning to show his launch (it's scheduled for about 11am UK time) and arrival at the ISS (scheduled for the evening of the same day, all being well) live, and I would expect there to be fair bit of media coverage as we get closer to launch day.

I hope that someone, at some point while he's up there, opens communications with him from Earth by saying 'Ground Control to Major Tim'...missed opportunity if not. :wink:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just over 12 hours until launch and, all being well, Tim Peake will be on the ISS this time tomorrow.

Launch is live on BBC1 tomorrow morning, scheduled for just after 11am. :thumbsup:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I hope that someone, at some point while he's up there, opens communications with him from Earth by saying 'Ground Control to Major Tim'...missed opportunity if not. :wink:

I forwarded this to my brother-in-law who worked for NASA in Florida during American launches. I'll see if he can forward the idea to some of his old buddies in the command center in Houston. I believe Houston still has control over these missions.

EDIT: It appears I was wrong. The Russians have mission control over their launches from Kazakhstan at Korolyov.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2014
Here

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Pendant alert, Major Tim Peake is Sussex's second Astronaut, Piers Sellers was born in Crowborough, veteran of 3 Space Shuttle missions no less!

Pedant alert, it isn't spelt 'pendant'. :wink:

Very fair point though, re: Piers Sellers. :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• PL 11.jpg
    PL 11.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 131

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
His mum and dad seem just the nicest of people. Must be a nervous time for them, even if they're not showing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here