Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And why the abuse of JFC or Stockdale will come back and bite them, just as Barnes has.

And just like the abuse of Harley and David Rodriguez. Wait, no. No one likes that comparison because it doesn't fit with the idea that anyone who criticises our players is inherently wrong and thus a terrible terrible fan.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We did, he wasn't worth anywhere near that, shame we chose not to reinvest the money though. Massive error of judgement by TB and whoever he listens to not to make any real effort to replace Barnes and Ulloa.
Jesus christ TB pays £10m a year just to keep us out of debt I think he is perfecty entitled to use some of the Ulloa money to keep the club afloat.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
How on earth are we meant to get over letting him go 12 months ago when he is doing what he's doing in the top flight and we're facing relegation from the Championship!? We rightly in my opinion shouldn't be getting over it as it was a shocking decision to have made. If you don't learn from and stare your errors in the face, then we'll keep on making them.

Funnily enough I don't think the club hierarchy read this forum, I was a fan of Barnes when he was here and think the club cocked up but perhaps he would have moved on regardless with the high likelihood of Premiership football Burnley had at the time. I just find it incredibly tedious that we have to have a thread every time he scores a goal, at least with Ulloa we might get some extra cash if Leicester stay up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Funnily enough I don't think the club hierarchy read this forum, I was a fan of Barnes when he was here and think the club cocked up but perhaps he would have moved on regardless with the high likelihood of Premiership football Burnley had at the time. I just find it incredibly tedious that we have to have a thread every time he scores a goal, at least with Ulloa we might get some extra cash if Leicester stay up.

The thread title is very clear, so you don't have to read it, or find it tedious. You can ignore it.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
You're right for two reasons: Firstly we must remember that our mistakes in the transfer market aren't limited to duff purchases. Selling Ulloa for 8m was fair enough; letting Barnes go for 500k was dreadful. Secondly the fact that he is good enough to play in the Prem also serves as a reminder that a fair number of Brighton fans can't recognise a decent player all the while they've got holes in their arses.

...holes ? :eek:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

We did well to sell Liam Bridcutt, Ashley Barnes (and Adam El Abd!) for a combined profit of £3.8 million. The figures don't include the sales of Leo Ulloa and Will Buckley, for an initial estimated £10.5 million, as these transactions took place after the 30 June accounting year end.

One figure that is hidden away in the footnotes to the accounts is that the Albion could potentially receive a further £4.3 million from the sales of the above players (including Leo and Will) dependent upon Leicester, Sunderland and Burnley staying up, and each making a minimum number of appearances. More reason, not that any should ever realistically be needed, for Palace to be relegated, as it will be to the benefit of the Albion if the those clubs are not relegated.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?434-The-2014-Albion-Financial-Review

If potential future earnings makes it ok in your eyes for people to highlight Ulloa's Premier League adventures, it should make it ok for Barnes, too.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I definitely think the club handled the Barnes situation poorly. They thought they could get better than him and of course they have learnt the hard way that strikers who can perform in the Championship cost shedloads of money as the rewards from promotion are so great.

Barnes would always get goals, not great numbers but enough to keep ticking over and he was a good team man.

The club got arrogant and the fans did not support him sufficiently. Both are now learning from their mistake.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We did well to sell Liam Bridcutt, Ashley Barnes (and Adam El Abd!) for a combined profit of £3.8 million. The figures don't include the sales of Leo Ulloa and Will Buckley, for an initial estimated £10.5 million, as these transactions took place after the 30 June accounting year end.

One figure that is hidden away in the footnotes to the accounts is that the Albion could potentially receive a further £4.3 million from the sales of the above players (including Leo and Will) dependent upon Leicester, Sunderland and Burnley staying up, and each making a minimum number of appearances. More reason, not that any should ever realistically be needed, for Palace to be relegated, as it will be to the benefit of the Albion if the those clubs are not relegated.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?434-The-2014-Albion-Financial-Review

If potential future earnings makes it ok in your eyes for people to highlight Ulloa's Premier League adventures, it should make it ok for Barnes, too.
Was not aware of that, good stuff. Hopefully we'll have a thread every weekend with a detailed analysis on his performance!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
But would you not agree that he has brought a lot more than goals to the side this season? He was outstanding in the game against Man City for example

How the f*ck would I know, I don't support or watch Burnley. Occasionally I'll see a few brief highlights, though. Do you have a season ticket at Turf Moor then?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How the f*ck would I know, I don't support or watch Burnley. Occasionally I'll see a few brief highlights, though. Do you have a season ticket at Turf Moor then?

Why the anger? You don't have to be a season ticket holder at Turf Moor to see (or care) that Ashley Barnes is doing well for Burnley. He's an ex-player who many on here want to see do well. Me included.

And, just as a nice stat, he's scored more goals this season than Falcao. Nice :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Why the anger? You don't have to be a season ticket holder at Turf Moor to see (or care) that Ashley Barnes is doing well for Burnley. He's an ex-player who many on here want to see do well. Me included.

And, just as a nice stat, he's scored more goals this season than Falcao. Nice :thumbsup:

Who says I'm angry? That was a "How the f*ck would I know?" not a "How the f*ck would I know!!!". He clearly states that our Ash brings a lot more than goals, who would know that unless they watch a lot of Burnley? I can't believe MOTD have had a 'look how much Ashley Barnes contributes in the 5 out of 6 games he doesn't score in' section, if they have had then please share.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Pleased to see he is doing well, would bite Burnleys hand off to bring him back. Brought alot to the team and was a fantastic proffesional.

The reason i created an account on here was to voice my opinion on how much Ashley brought to the team when everyone was slating him.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Who says I'm angry? That was a "How the f*ck would I know?" not a "How the f*ck would I know!!!". He clearly states that our Ash brings a lot more than goals, who would know that unless they watch a lot of Burnley? I can't believe MOTD have had a 'look how much Ashley Barnes contributes in the 5 out of 6 games he doesn't score in' section, if they have had then please share.

Fair enough you weren't angry. But just because you don't know how Burnley's form differs from last season doesn't mean that the original post wasn't relevant. Many people on here take a keen interest in it. Especially the teams with ex-Albion players. You don't have to watch every match for 90 minutes to know how they're doing, that was all I was trying to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here