Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Young Man In Goal

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Funny isn't it, I felt he did his job last night, one reasonable save at the end but the rest were basic goalkeeper saves. Didn't get the unsavable shot which Stockdale gets criticised for not saving. My problem is he is sooo slow, makes a save and spends 10 seconds on the floor with the ball rather than getting up and looking to move the ball. End result is a kick up field with a 50/50 chance of possession.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really excited by Walton....

..and I'd still play AAH on Saturday.

Wouldn't criticise either choice though, tbh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm 44 years old.

If Walton were to have a full career, I'll be a pensioner as he's hanging up his gloves.

With that in mind it's obvious we should squeeze every playing minute out of him now :facepalm:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
He had a basic game - exactly what you'd expect a goalkeeper at this level to do.

Some of the praise on here is totally over the top. And it is exactly the sort of hype that Joe Gatting, Dan Harding, Jake Robinson, Jake Forster-Caskey and pretty much any player to come out of the youth side has had in the last ten years before, six months down the line, everyone inevitably ending up disappointed and slating them for not being the next Cristiano Ronaldo as promised

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He was superb. Held saves that other keepers would've punched, has PRESENCE which is lacking in plenty of keepers and very impressive to see for a guy his size.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really excited by Walton....

..and I'd still play AAH on Saturday.

Wouldn't criticise either choice though, tbh.
Sadly though you can guarantee there are plenty already moist at the prospect of another Sami Screw-up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I thought he looked very solid; I have far more confidence in him than Stockdale for sure. I'd keep playing him; for sure he is going to make mistakes, but that's how a young 'un will learn.

True he only had one really difficult save to make. From the North Stand you could clearly see how much the ball moved in the air and he did very well to get a solid hand or two to it and push it well out of the danger area.

Dispassionately I'm not sure he was MoM on performance (he didn't have a real lot to do and most of that was routine) but I fully support him getting it. A great call by the sponsors (for once). First league game and MoM. Great for his confidence.

We aren't going to win any prizes this season so let's stick with him and give him the experience. And let's remember his age and experience when he does make a rickett and not get on his back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh come on, that's a bit tough. It's 4 weeks and Walton in first team football was a big unknown - it could have gone horribly wrong.

Let's be grateful it didn't, looks like we have a star on our hands.

Yep I agreed in a follow up response to TLO it was a bit harsh. Posted after a post game beer discussing which players have truly added value. I stand by the follow up though in that I think it shows Sami doesn't trust Casper and that there is a risk of us losing Walton if he doesn't play. I'd also say the reverse of HKFC - I would play Walton on Saturday. I don't think you can drop a man of the match. However if Al-Habsi plays then I saw enough against Bournemouth to be happy with that decision.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep I agreed in a follow up response to TLO it was a bit harsh. Posted after a post game beer discussing which players have truly added value. I stand by the follow up though in that I think it shows Sami doesn't trust Casper and that there is a risk of us losing Walton if he doesn't play. I'd also say the reverse of HKFC - I would play Walton on Saturday. I don't think you can drop a man of the match. However if Al-Habsi plays then I saw enough against Bournemouth to be happy with that decision.

Blackburn are a big strong side, who will launch balls into the box all game. Rhodes and Gestede are both excellent in the air. It would be a big, big ask of Walton - one which he might well come through with flying colours. Or might not.

Al Habsi for me, with CW on the bench.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Blackburn are a big strong side, who will launch balls into the box all game. Rhodes and Gestede are both excellent in the air. It would be a big, big ask of Walton - one which he might well come through with flying colours. Or might not.

Al Habsi for me, with CW on the bench.

I'd fancy Walton to deal with this. Granted you can only deal with what you are given but his catching and command of the box looks good. Guarentee a couple of those crosses last night would of been punched by Anks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Funny isn't it, I felt he did his job last night, one reasonable save at the end but the rest were basic goalkeeper saves. Didn't get the unsavable shot which Stockdale gets criticised for not saving. My problem is he is sooo slow, makes a save and spends 10 seconds on the floor with the ball rather than getting up and looking to move the ball. End result is a kick up field with a 50/50 chance of possession.

Agreed. Painfully slow at times to get things moving - almost like he couldn't decide what to do. Competent series of saves though and a great prospect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The impressive thing about him was that everything stuck in his hands no punching or palming away. Even the free kick down at his post he collected it straight in his hands with his body behind it. Very assured, very competent.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
I thought his handling was assured, I liked his thow outs, had a couple of dodgy kicks straight out into touch in the first half, looked to be a bit unsure when he was forced to kick out under pressure on his weaker right foot. He wasn't really tested but certainly shows promise.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
For me the sign of a good keeper is not the spectacular saves but the saves that people think are routine - low shots that need to be held, claiming crosses cleanly. Making the right decisions (positioning, when to come out and clear) and distribution. He did this all with great authority. I particularly remember a low shot in the first half that he gathered cleanly. It is a dilemma whether to start with him on Saturday but I am leaning towards yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here