Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin to Sky

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Have today decided to switch TV, phone and broadband to Sky after about 9 years with Virgin.

I've taken a package which includes the full TV bundle, sports and movies, multi room, sky go, broadband unlimited and talk anytime with 0845 numbers. It's costing £62 pm for the first 6 months which seems a pretty good deal. (Goes up a bit after that but will cancel the sports as will be end of season)

What are other people's experiences with Sky like having switched from Virgin?

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
My experience is that there is never anything decent on sky, the only channels we watch are 1,2,3,4 so we are wasting our money, at the beginning we got movies, a load on crap that was! One good thing though is on demand tv although I have all that on my playstation. Take the minimal package as soon as you can, the rest is a waste of money ( unless you like watching repeat after repeat of border patrol and motorway cops)

BUT that is just me, other peoples preferences maybe different and could enjoy some other channels sky has to offer

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Sky Atlantic is worth having - I find all the companies have pros and cons, but Sky suits me and at least they seem to be the ones moving forward with new stuff that Virgin just copies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've just gone in the opposite direction, after Sky wanted up to £500 for two new boxes which were on their last legs. We signed up to a similar-sounding deal to your Sky package - the lure of new customers is obviously a big incentive for these companies to offer that little bit extra. The guy who installed it said it was quite common for people to switch, similar to car insurance, mobile phones that sort of thing. We were with Sky for ages and to be fair they are pretty good. Not had a chance to check out too much of the TV, but there seems to be more On Demand/Catchup TV, more space to record (up to three channels, too) and the broadband is far superior to Sky.

I think all these packages/companies even themselves out and no doubt one day we'll be back to giving Murdoch or someone else some cash. I remember the dark days of NTL, with whom I had a shocking customer experience. I'm hoping for better with Virgin.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
By the way, sky broadband..... Fantastic :thumbsup:

Wait till Virgin upgrade to what their new parent company offers everywhere else. Have Sky (and Eircom, the BT equivalent) rammed in to a corner here. Uncapped 200mbit BB for significantly less than they can offer 70mbit for; 50mbit BB with phone and a call package for less than Eircom line rental. People only go with Sky for the few channels UPC can't offer and only go with them for BB if they can't get cable. Default box now makes the Sky+HD look ten years old in interface and features - e.g. it has 6 tuners (but the HDD can only record 5 HD channels at a time, what a pity), Youtube built in etc.

I can't imagine they'll leave the Virgin network out of this as they're rolling out identical hardware to each country; my box even came set to Holland out of the box.

The 200mbit is just the current package - all the routers are actually syncing at 400 but there's not much point offering that when nobody else goes above 70!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Won't have anything from Murdoch in the house.
I don't want anything to do with a company that condones hacking a dead girl's phone.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've had Sky for years but recently switched to BT. I guess it depends on the individual experience, much like banks and airlines, but I'm glad to be rid of them. I don't see a whole lot different in the programming, internet, phone etc but the service I've had from Sky has been atrocious

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
The Broadband was my only slight concern as it's Sky Broadband Unlimited rather than Fibre. Is this still okay for speed in terms of general browsing, playing x box online etc?

Yep, never had a problem I'm always running netflix and playing online through my playstation, a lot of my mates on other companies are forever having problems where it have no issues at all

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
My only advice is to use topcashback/quidco when you change.

I moved sky->virgin over the summer, got £160 cash back, £60 statement credit after the second payment went through and half price for 6months. Worked out at a total saving of £500 over 6 months vs what I was paying sky.

Like others I tend to change every 18 months to get the best deal I can. There is no reward for loyalty these days.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My only advice is to use topcashback/quidco when you change.

I moved sky->virgin over the summer, got £160 cash back, £60 statement credit after the second payment went through and half price for 6months. Worked out at a total saving of £500 over 6 months vs what I was paying sky.

Like others I tend to change every 18 months to get the best deal I can. There is no reward for loyalty these days.

We managed to pull off a nice little trick recently. We moved house about 4 months ago but wanted to stay with Virgin as we've always found them pretty good. However, they wouldn't give us any deal at all, and also wanted an extra installation charge as there was no connection into the new house. So, we cancelled our existing service which was in my name, then rang back 5 minutes later and got a "brand new customers only mega deal" in Mrs P's name for the new house :lolol:

Same services as before, no new connection fee, and about 30% less for the first 6 months than we were paying at the old house :thumbsup:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ive got the lot with Sky and the broadband is appalling at times despite an almost monthly call that fixes something for about a week vef I re it all slows down again. The tragedy is that I cant get Virgin where I live or Id be off like a shot.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Have today decided to switch TV, phone and broadband to Sky after about 9 years with Virgin.

I've taken a package which includes the full TV bundle, sports and movies, multi room, sky go, broadband unlimited and talk anytime with 0845 numbers. It's costing £62 pm for the first 6 months which seems a pretty good deal. (Goes up a bit after that but will cancel the sports as will be end of season)

What are other people's experiences with Sky like having switched from Virgin?

Never had any technical issues with Sky - I have phone, broadband, 2 TV boxes, full sport & film package. There is never anything worth watching on BBC1 or ITV so I use it all the time. Having the films isn't that good, I don't watch many of them.

No complaints from me, other than Sky turning off their digital text system last week, I used to use it a lot.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you like scrolling through hundreds of channels and not finding anything decent to watch, Sky is PERFECT.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wait till Virgin upgrade to what their new parent company offers everywhere else. Have Sky (and Eircom, the BT equivalent) rammed in to a corner here. Uncapped 200mbit BB for significantly less than they can offer 70mbit for; 50mbit BB with phone and a call package for less than Eircom line rental. People only go with Sky for the few channels UPC can't offer and only go with them for BB if they can't get cable. Default box now makes the Sky+HD look ten years old in interface and features - e.g. it has 6 tuners (but the HDD can only record 5 HD channels at a time, what a pity), Youtube built in etc.

I can't imagine they'll leave the Virgin network out of this as they're rolling out identical hardware to each country; my box even came set to Holland out of the box.

The 200mbit is just the current package - all the routers are actually syncing at 400 but there's not much point offering that when nobody else goes above 70!

Take it you don't get out much then!!!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Those that are saying they will not give money to Murdoch, i take it you don't watch anything on ITV then. I am sure he still owns a stake in them.

The bloke is a bit like Nestle, you just can't avoid his products!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here