Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The whole thing still stinks!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23669181

Watford have signed Algeria international defender Essaid Belkalem on a season-long loan from sister club Granada.
The Hornets have the option of signing the 24-year-old on a permanent deal.
Belkalem, Watford's first loan signing of the season, was expected to join Udinese this summer after his contract expired at Algerian club JS Kabylie.
But he instead joined Granada who, like Watford and Udinese, are owned by the Italian Pozzo family.

Makes logical business sense with the Prem prize money on offer but it just seems wrong to me. Owners should only be allowed interest in one club.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
I don't get it. He's joined Watford instead of Udinese. Maybe he wanted to go to Watford. What's the big deal?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Havn`t they signed eight from Udinese again this season, but rather than on loan they have bought them.
All sounds a bit fishy selling and buying to sister clubs, seems like they are fleecing the system again.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I don't get it. He's joined Watford instead of Udinese. Maybe he wanted to go to Watford. What's the big deal?

I think the op is referring to the fact he signed up for Granada ( who pick up the tab ) then is loaned straight to Watford at what one would assume a cheaper rate. Therefore Granada pick up most of the fees, Watford get a player at a fraction of the price, circumnavigating FFP.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
He may be their first loan signing but what about the dozen or so free transfers from udinese and grenada. It doesn't matter how you look at it Watfords owners are using the other 2 clubs to finance a promotion chase , skirt the new FFP rules and get their greedy little mits on the premier league money.What they are doing is nothing short of cheating, there is no way Watford would be able to finance the signings they have made otherwise. I'm beginning to ****ing hate Watford and their slimy, slippery way of getting around the rules.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Am I missing something here, don’t Watford have a transfer embargo until 31st August?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Am I missing something here, don’t Watford have a transfer embargo until 31st August?

They do but this in the main relates to dealings of the previous regime and the football league therefore have final say over whether or not they can sign a player.

Apparently therefore the embargo is literally a smokescreen.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Is there any real difference to a club winning promotion through three play off games in which all their goals were scored by loan players? #InnocentFace

Havn`t they signed eight from Udinese again this season, but rather than on loan they have bought them.
All sounds a bit fishy selling and buying to sister clubs, seems like they are fleecing the system again.

There's nothing fishy there, Watford probably bought the players for £1 each, nothing fishy at all.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Can someone explain why these players all go through one of the other clubs first, ie Udinese or Granada, before they sign for Watford? It can't be a work permit thing as surely that's based on nationality, not where the clubs are based. So why not just sign for Watford?

Aug 23, 2011
No, they have to get prior approval to all dealings, it is not an embargo.

So this is their first season long loan. That means they have the same number as, errrr, us.

i don't think the OP is talking about the number of loans, its where the loans are coming from ie another club owned by the same people.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for the 'sister clubs'. They sign players they never see play, although they'll be picking up acquisition costs. Seems as though the system could be manipulated to circumnavigate FFP. You also wonder whether these deals are being done at market value / arms length, or at inflated / reduced prices to suit the owner.

The bottom line is that if FIFA can't even work out it will be hot in Qatar in June there's no chance of them prevented bending of the rules.

Aug 23, 2011
Can someone explain why these players all go through one of the other clubs first, ie Udinese or Granada, before they sign for Watford? It can't be a work permit thing as surely that's based on nationality, not where the clubs are based. So why not just sign for Watford?

probably so the costs go through the books of another club and maybe they get part of their wage paid for by the other club

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Think @Wanderbus hit the nail on the head earlier with his theory. Multiple ownership of football clubs should be banned to stop this sort of thing happening.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Not sure. The only thing I can think of is that Udinese and Granada have spare capacity under FFP and Watford don't.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

they split the wages between 2 clubs - helping alleviate any FFP worries if its a player on big wages

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

To hide the bulk of the cost in the sister club's accounts. Much lower cost to Watford - meaning they can 'afford' players that their income should not be able to finance within FFP rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here