Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Head coach - new title or new structure?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yep, deffo continental model. OGJ sets coaching philosophy and Burke gets players.

According to something I read on Twitter, this is the case. Burke has been pretty good with some of our signings last Summer so im more than happy with this. If Oscar has players hes interested in, then he would probably get David Burke and the scouts to look into signing them.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
As I said on another thread I think David Burke has now got a new expanded job. Very continental

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Nick Szczepanik on Twitter speculating the same thing, "Garcia played no part in player recruitment under Jordi Cruyff at Maccabi Tel Aviv. New post at #bhafc suggests similar limits at Amex."

I wonder if this was one of the issues with Gus? I guess it keeps a continuity at the club behind the scenes what with how managers lifespan tends to be so short these days.

According to the Pikeys on BBS it's either Nobody else wanted it or, and this just shows how THICK they are, it's a temporary role in case he doesn't work out.

I despair of them, I really do.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Oscar had no part in player signings at Maccabi - http://www.soccerissue.com/2013/05/30/soccerissue-interview-with-jordi-cruyff/

So does the "head coach" rather than "interim manager" title mean that the same will happen here, with David Burke signing players? Or is it simply a way of avoiding legal action from the Poyet team?

I think it's two-fold, firstly for the Gus legal situation and secondly, I think the board are happy to pursue the continental-style system, with a Head Coach and someone else in charge of transfers, possibly David Burke or I wonder whether there is a role for a Steve Coppell or maybe (bearing in mind some previous rumours) a Liam Brady-type appointment?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Nick Szczepanik on Twitter speculating the same thing, "Garcia played no part in player recruitment under Jordi Cruyff at Maccabi Tel Aviv. New post at #bhafc suggests similar limits at Amex."

This is Nick's thread...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm guessing it's a new title to cut out the need for an interim position.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I wonder if this was one of the issues with Gus? I guess it keeps a continuity at the club behind the scenes what with how managers lifespan tends to be so short these days.

Nick Szczepanik and Not Andy Naylor speculating about the same thing? Well I never!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, deffo continental model. OGJ sets coaching philosophy and Burke gets players.

I would agree. Paul Barber's email suggested player recruitment had continued during the managerial vacuum. We look like we're heading for a full on European model.

It does make the statement about looking for an interim manger seem rather disingenuous though doesn't it.

Who?

Rubbish journalist.

:D

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
According to the Pikeys on BBS it's either Nobody else wanted it or, and this just shows how THICK they are, it's a temporary role in case he doesn't work out.

I despair of them, I really do.

Even though 3 ex England managers (Sven , Hoddle and McLaren) expressed an interest in moving to the Theatre Of Flair ?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Interesting. Don't know whether this is good or not, although I suppose if Oscar has any player suggestions, they will be taken into consideration. I wouldn't mind a couple of Barca loanees :whistle:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I should imagine it's a few things:

- Legal requirement as Gus is still technically Manager ( I guess?)
- Lessons learnt as to not give too much power to the Manager
- This is how most of Europe works, which means Oscar is comfortable with this.
- We are playing a Continental system, so why not have a Continental Management structure!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I suspect his role is the same as if he'd been made manager. Likely he wouldn't have wanted the title of interim and this may have come out in recent talks. If it was a plan to a continental model, tb wouldnt have referred to interim in his video.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here