Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick McManus RIP

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Dad always insisted on changing channels to watch the wrestling when there was proper sport on BBC, hated it and could never understand what people saw in such contrived rubbish. One thing that did surprise me was that Wayne Hemingway was Billy Two Rivers son.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I used to love Les Kellett, staggering around in a sort of drunken reel and then suddenly sparking into life but McManus v Pallo was the big one that everyone wanted to see.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Jackie Pallow
_41333722_pallo_bbc_203_i.jpg

Kendo Nagasaki
Nagasaki.jpg

and Jonny Kwango ( from Peckham!)
Kwango.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always liked Johnny Saint, he used to climb all over an opponent, go through their legs then spin back and get them in a hold.

Steve Logan, loved to have seen those two up against some of these WWE pussies!

RIP Mick.

Went to two bouts at the TW Assembly Hall with my Grandad back in the '70's. One featured a tag match between McManus/Logan and Big Daddy/token young weakling. Went exactly as they used to go on TV, bout ended with Big Daddy "splashing" McManus and wedging the corner bucket on Logans head so he couldn't get it off! Staged - of course it was. The things that we used to watch for fun in those days.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When my mate got married in East London in 1985, we had a pre-nuptial beer in this pub near the church and whilst we were at the bar someone remarked that Bobby Barnes was over the other side. I excitedly looked over hoping to see Adrian Street's former tag team partner Bad Boy Bobby Barnes instead there was a little black bloke with tight Michael Jackson like curly hair who used to play for the Hammers.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always liked Johnny Saint, he used to climb all over an opponent, go through their legs then spin back and get them in a hold.

I've seem you do that after a few Belgiums.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Went to two bouts at the TW Assembly Hall with my Grandad back in the '70's. One featured a tag match between McManus/Logan and Big Daddy/token young weakling. Went exactly as they used to go on TV, bout ended with Big Daddy "splashing" McManus and wedging the corner bucket on Logans head so he couldn't get it off! Staged - of course it was. The things that we used to watch for fun in those days.

Wasn't quite a young weakling as he grew up to be Davey Boy Smith 'The British Bulldog'

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
When my mate got married in East London in 1985, we had a pre-nuptial beer in this pub near the church and whilst we were at the bar someone remarked that Bobby Barnes was over the other side. I excitedly looked over hoping to see Adrian Street's former tag team partner Bad Boy Bobby Barnes instead there was a little black bloke with tight Michael Jackson like curly hair who used to play for the Hammers.

Mick and Bobby 3 years ago

295466_10150279891553805_2781031_n.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Dad always insisted on changing channels to watch the wrestling when there was proper sport on BBC, hated it and could never understand what people saw in such contrived rubbish. One thing that did surprise me was that Wayne Hemingway was Billy Two Rivers son.

What a bizarre but true (according to Wikipedia) fact.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Glorious memories of sat as a kid. On The Ball, the ITV Seven, Speedway, Darts and bizarrely cliff diving from Acapulco.

The afternoon rounded off by the panto wrestling followed by the final scores on the tele printer.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Ah. World of Sport on a Saturday afternoon! My sister and I waited eagerly for our Grandad to finish the milking (we lived on a farm) then come in and sit with us while we watched the wrestling. We all had to cheer and boo at the right times! Then we had to sit quietly while he took the football scores and worked out whether he had won the Pools on not.

Happy days!

RIP Mick McManus

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ah. World of Sport on a Saturday afternoon! My sister and I waited eagerly for our Grandad to finish the milking (we lived on a farm) then come in and sit with us while we watched the wrestling. We all had to cheer and boo at the right times! Then we had to sit quietly while he took the football scores and worked out whether he had won the Pools on not.

Happy days!

RIP Mick McManus

Turn over for Dr Who then Dixon of Dock Green

Happy days indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here