The Fatherland

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Amazing.

56876940.jpg

Looks great with a great atmosphere.

They're all sitting down on an all seater night though ???

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Looks great with a great atmosphere.

They're all sitting down on an all seater night though ???

Only the ones at the sides, the large mass of them in the middle are standing.

Feb 3, 2013
not a patch on the old Kop on European night though was it

Those were the days. Stood on the Kop against Genoa in the UFEA Q/F second leg back in the early 90's. Was bang in the middle and have never and will never experience an atmosphere like that again in my life time.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Those were the days. Stood on the Kop against Genoa in the UFEA Q/F second leg back in the early 90's. Was bang in the middle and have never and will never experience an atmosphere like that again in my life time.

Amazing!!

The only time I ever stood on the Kop was that game

said to myself,must stand on the Kop before they change it to all seater

The noise was unbelievable,must of been incredible for games like St Etienne

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
So it's a bit of a Library on Euro nights then? :wink:

The stewards trying to get 25,000 people sat down can make for quite an atmosphere :wink:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I may not have got the story 100% accurate, but I believe the gist is there.

Here's a BBC news story from 12 years ago, talking about the national football centre that he proposed - the one that opened only seven months ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1172213.stm

There's a retrospective blog about it here too...

World Cup 2010: League Managers Association Chairman Howard Wilkinson Worried about England’s Future | bettor.com

So no basis for your story at all? Not questioning its validity but i'm sure the Germans didnt need Howard Wilkinson to tell them that the future of football is dependant on nurturing youth correctly and not being led by greedy stupid old men with opposing interests.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly why is St Georges Park only superficial and for the benefit of the media?

I don't know the answer to this but St George's Park does appear to be a bit of a folly and an FA vanity project. What's the major benefit over the previous training places eh? Not much is the answer.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
7 year old Juergen to his dad halfway back on the terrace...

'Dad, I need a wee...'

Dad to Juergen...

'Wee in the bloke in front of you's pocket son...'

Juergen to his dad...

'Won't he notice dad?...'

Dad to Juergen...

'Well you didn't son...'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So no basis for your story at all? Not questioning its validity but i'm sure the Germans didnt need Howard Wilkinson to tell them that the future of football is dependant on nurturing youth correctly and not being led by greedy stupid old men with opposing interests.

'No basis' is pushing it. It's not like the Germans 'needed telling', they adopted the recommendations in his report. Admittedly, one below is an opinion, but the other is a direct quote from Wilkinson.

Banks's Lionhearts - Englands Demise- Who is to blame?

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: England talent worries me - Wilkinson

Oct 25, 2003
I don't know the answer to this but St George's Park does appear to be a bit of a folly and an FA vanity project. What's the major benefit over the previous training places eh? Not much is the answer.

i agree...can't for the life of me see what it's for really apart from a nice place for the national teams to train

the FA have little control over the big boys, so in reality little will change until that does

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i agree...can't for the life of me see what it's for really apart from a nice place for the national teams to train

the FA have little control over the big boys, so in reality little will change until that does

I am finding some of the stuff in the papers utterly hilarious. The papers seems to be in awe of German football policies that anyone with an once of common sense could have thought of years ago. Financial prudence, sustainability and home grown talent is the way forward: WOW, who knew eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry, are you telling us the German's took advise from Howard Wilkinson and their success is based on him?

I'm not saying they took his blueprint and copied it verbatim. I'm saying that German football, by their own admission, was not in the place it wanted to be. They saw Howard Wilkinson's blueprint (it was written in 1997, not 2001) and, along with their own considerations, adapted a number of his ideas to suit their own, including the issue of a national football centre, and the nurturing of young players.

Wilkinson himself possibly got some of his ideas from Holland and France.

The point I was originally making was that the blueprint was intended for the FA. In-fighting and various self-interested bodies meant many aspects never got off the ground. The Germans - along with others - on the other hand, have taken his suggestions, and put them into place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not saying they took his blueprint and copied it verbatim. I'm saying that German football, by their own admission, was not in the place it wanted to be. They saw Howard Wilkinson's blueprint (it was written in 1997, not 2001) and, along with their own considerations, adapted a number of his ideas to suit their own, including the issue of a national football centre, and the nurturing of young players.

Wilkinson himself possibly got some of his ideas from Holland and France.

The point I was originally making was that the blueprint was intended for the FA. In-fighting and various self-interested bodies meant many aspects never got off the ground. The Germans - along with others - on the other hand, have taken his suggestions, and put them into place.

I'm sorry but I find the idea that the powers that be in Germany took any suggestions from Howard Wilkinson utterly absurd. A nationalal centre and nuturing youngsters is not rocket science; it's the most basic of ideas. Two simple ideas that most people would, and in this case most certainly did, think of entirely independently of each other.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'm sorry but I find the idea that the powers that be in Germany took any suggestions from Howard Wilkinson utterly absurd. A nationalal centre and nuturing youngsters is not rocket science; it's the most basic of ideas. Two simple ideas that most people would, and in this case most certainly did, think of entirely independently of each other.

That, in essence, is exactly what i said on the last page. The Large One sought to substantiate his theory not with evidence but with an article from the turn of the century stating how the FA is looking to copy both France (and Germany!) in building a national training academy.
Lovely story though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That, in essence, is exactly what i said on the last page. The Large One sought to substantiate his theory not with evidence but with an article from the turn of the century stating how the FA is looking to copy both France (and Germany!) in building a national training academy.
Lovely story though.

Sorry. I skimmed over the previous pages and, given the absurdity of the claim, presumed I had misunderstood what was being discussed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here