Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimmins Football

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Just watched a BBC news report about an England Ladies international and how she "only" earns £20k a year for representing her country. The piece finished with the reporter asking "how long before the gender gap closes?".

I'll ****ing answer it for you, you ****ing clueless ****, when women's football attracts 40k fans week in week out. When its a marketable product. When the standard of football on show is better than watching a bluesquare southern division under-12's half a pitch game at half time.

Apparently, this pay gap is a failure of the Olympic legacy. No it isn't, it's because the standard of football in the women's game is dire. It's because the standard of women's football only attracts 400 people to pay to watch an England international. £20k to entertain 400 people 6 times a year is too ****ing much.

Discuss.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
The goalkeepers are generally shocking. I would reduce the height of them by 6inches to a foot to make it better quality.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Please tell me that your spelling of 'Wimmins' is a joke?

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Nice fishing though.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
How do you expect the level of womens football to improve if the vast majority are only part time players? Our womens team only get paid for travel expenses and they are playing in the equivalent of League 1.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
About 80,000 people watched ladies England vs Brazil at Wembley in the Olympics, but I see the rest of your point.

The goalkeepers are generally shocking. I would reduce the height of them by 6inches to a foot to make it better quality.

7 yards by 7 feet as opposed to the usual 8 x 8' could work?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I've quite often been conned into watching the odd bit of womensfootball when the BBC show their one televised game a season. I normaly turn it off after about 15 mins as it is utter turd.

Also, most women are into watching football because 'David Beckham is fit' or 'i like to look at all the legs'. On that reasoninig, if they made the women who play football slightly more attractive then i might get more interested in it. The last game i saw just looked like a load of lesbiens running around with a ball.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How do you expect the level of womens football to improve if the vast majority are only part time players? Our womens team only get paid for travel expenses and they are playing in the equivalent of League 1.

Not quite sure how you can concluded they're playing "in the equivalent of League 1". There is no comparable equivalent between the womens and the mens game.

And who would you propose should step in and pay them a professional wage ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know but you can't expect the quality of womens football to be great if most of them are part time footballers...

I don't expect it to be great, thats why I don't watch it. Its a minority sport. It doesn't deserve funding for professionalism any more than croquet or Hop-Scotch.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
About 80,000 people watched ladies England vs Brazil at Wembley in the Olympics, but I see the rest of your point

About 80,000 people watched ladies England vs Brazil at Wembley in the Olympics, but I see the rest of your point.

I would have loved to have watched the English girls lick the Brazilians, but i'd have had to endure the match first, before the showers.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I don't know but you can't expect the quality of womens football to be great if most of them are part time footballers...

Most of the footballers in Conference are part time footballers. Still pretty good.

I always thought it would be an interesting experiment to see where a top women's team would sit in the male game. Would Arsenal ladies beat Peacehaven at the top of the County League for instance? Mmmm not sure!

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I think women's football is rubbish because they're too busy thinking of other things,
As a cross is coming over a women is probably thinking what dress shall I wear out tonight therefore completely taking her mind off heading the ball into the net
Or just as the Keeper gets a ready to save a shot she's thinking does my bum look big in these shorts that short lapse in concentration results in her missing the oncoming ball as it trickles over the goal line

Oct 25, 2003
why do male footballers earn loads of money? because they're the entertainers in one of the biggest entertainment industries in the world, where even teams at level 5 of the game draw in crowds of over 1,000

why do female footballers earn less? because they're the entertainers in an entertainment industry that hardly anyone is interested in...its only going to be professional if people are willing to pay them....no-one is willing to do that because they'd lose loads of money

for what its worth I don't know ANY women who watch womens football, but plenty of women who watch mens football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here