Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Hassocks like to live in?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Any Hassocks/Keymer residents or ex-residents who have an objective opinion?

I've lived in Brighton nearly all my life but did spend a year in and out of Henfield and Sayer's Common so am up to (the lack of) speed with village life... just curious as to what marks Hassocks up or down particularly.

Cheers in advance :)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
reasonably mild winters, warm summers, average rainfall for southern england.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Hassocks has always been a very affluent area dating back to the Doomsday era.

The word hassocks comes from the old English term for "Can afford woollen foot coverage".

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I have lived in hassocks for the last 5 years and would thoroughly recommend it. Has that village community type of feel but also the high street has all the amenities you require. Great rail links, a couple of excellent pub/restaurants in the thatched inn and the greyhound and highly regarded schools if you have kids. It's fairly pricy mind.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
:wrong:
The word hassocks comes from the old English term for "Can afford woollen foot coverage".[/QUOTE]

I very nearly went on Wiki to check that. But i do have manflu

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Grandparents used to live there when I was a teenager. Quiet but nice. Remember it was a long walk to the station.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hassocks has always been a very affluent area dating back to the Doomsday era.

The word hassocks comes from the old English term for "Can afford woollen foot coverage".

I thought hassocks are the cushions that you kneel on in church. Or is that cassocks? Or is that what choristers wear? Or is that tufts of grass? Hang on, thats tussocks isn't it?
Oh bollocks!

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
Hassocks is kind of like Henfield really except Hassocks has better transport links to London and Brighton so feels less isolated. It is also a short walk to the neighbouring villages of Ditchling and Hurstpierpoint which have better pubs.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I live in a neighbouring village but I do know it well. Access to the Downs by foot is nowhere near as good as Hurstpierpoint's and it's not particularly pretty but it ticks plenty of other boxes:
Railway Station (10mins Btn, around 55 Lnd)... two banks... infant, primary and comprehensive schools... very good shops for a village high street including a hardware store and an excellent Budgens... plenty of independent businesses... a garage... chippy... a lot of good value (relatively) housing.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
In-Laws lived there in Keymer Ave...not sure if my feelings towards Hassocks are 'in=law' related, but ive always hated going there...the thought of living there has never crossed my mind. Stayed with daughter last year, and she lives above the row of shops near the pet shop...still didnt like it ...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
henfield is middle class suburbia - where the people pretend to be rich with cocaine and flashy stuff - but live well in debt......snobberysville.......horrible place.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Very nice

Where do I start?

Lived here for 30 years, and most of what has already been said is correct.

Hassocks, by the way, is a type of grass that grows in clumps. Hassocks currently has a brand new Railway station being built, but back in the 1840s when the first railway station was being constructed, the Parish Council's of Keymer and Clayton couldn't agree on a name for the new station. So the London and Brighton Railway Company called the station Hassocks, after the nearby Hassock Field and the village grew around it. I know this because, after the Councils amalgamated, I became the Chairman of Hassocks Parish Council.

We do have a wide range of shops etc, with a village Sainsbury's due to open this year, and four pubs! Up on the hill are the famous Jack and Jill Windmills, where I spent many a happy hour restoring Jill. The three schools are excellent and popular, so popular in fact many of the children attending them come from the surrounding villages, Burgess Hill and Brighton.

The Weald Tennis and Squash Club is currently undertaking a £1M improvement programme and will be one, of only two, offering Clay Courts in the area, These will be in addition to the other all weather floodlight courts, and 4 squash courts.

Hassocks has a number of football pitches, Hassocks Robins play at the Beacon ground and are currently fifth in the Sussex County League Division One. Other teams play in Hassocks, some at the Adastra Park, which in addition to football pitches offers cricket, bowls, tennis, stoolball, skateboarding and croquet etc etc. The park also boasts a new modern sports pavilion, a large well appointed hall, and a Men's Club with comfortable surroundings, two 50" TVs and a large number of snooker and pool tables.

If you want to live here, there's a wide range of properties available, but with such excellent facilities and transport links you have to expect to pay a bit more.

Could go on, but by now you can see I like living here. We have the Amex easily available by train, coach and car, we have Brighton nearby and London only an hour away, leafy lanes to cycle on and the South Downs for relaxation.

What more could I want? Well 9 more points would be nice!!!

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here