Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - contract extension?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Argus reported on Wednesday that they understood Ashley Barnes (whose contract expires at the end of the season) had made enough appearances to trigger an option clause in his contract (and therefore it seemed likely that his disciplinary problems would not cost him his Albion career).

Incidentally, apparently he has expressed (to his mentor, his old manager at Paulton Rovers) his disappointment with what he did, realising he had made a massive mistake.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Incidentally, apparently he has expressed (to his mentor, his old manager at Paulton Rovers) his disappointment with what he did, realising he had made a massive mistake.

He'd be even more daft than he obviously is if he said anything else. I'm not confident much will change, but you never know

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Good news. Excellent young prospect who I'm sure will now learn from his stupidity and continue to improve and score goals for us.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Good news. Excellent young prospect who I'm sure will now learn from his stupidity and continue to improve and score goals for us.

This with bells on. Hopefully his short fuse will improve over time when he matures because under all that aggression he is a good young footballer.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At what point does he not become an 'young prospect'?

At 23 now, with 190 appearances under his belt, married with child and responsibilities, what has to happen to warrant AB growing up?

I wish I had the same amount of leeway when I was 'growing up'.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
At what point does he not become an 'young prospect'?

..... what has to happen to warrant AB growing up?

Exactly, I fear the AB pom pom club will still be using 'young developing prospect' to excuse his behaviour and average football contribution, even when he is 27 ...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is worth money, we'd be daft to let his contract expire. Anyway I hope he is here for a while longer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Very happy to have him stay, he scores goals when played up front and he does a huge amount of donkey work when asked to drop deep and cover alternative positions

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
The Argus reported on Wednesday that they understood Ashley Barnes (whose contract expires at the end of the season) had made enough appearances to trigger an option clause in his contract (and therefore it seemed likely that his disciplinary problems would not cost him his Albion career).

I'm not a fan personally but will always back our players until they repeatedly make the same mistakes therefore I feel his time with us is long overdue so he should move on. I don't think he has been played as a forward enough in his defence but time after time he has let us all down. I hate to say it but have we really missed him of late. Hopefully he proves me wrong should we make the play offs. The club need to help him if they decide to renew

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we should extend his contract to ensure he doesn't just leave with no return for us. If we sign a better player then sell him rather than let him leave for nothing, if we don't sign somebody else he will make a squad player for the bench.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
If he does get a new contract, I really hope it's only so he can be a squad player next season. Both his red cards have been down to pure stupidity and we've looked a lot better team without him during his periods of suspension.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

I don't care if he has apparently expressed it to his mentor. It ought to be on the club website in bold and underlined "Ashley Barnes apologises to fans for being a dick".

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Not good enough if we want to progress.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Not good enough to get into the side GUS is currently playing. Weakens the team and upsets the balance.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I would think he would ought to mature his way out of the innate bellendry that seems to sometimes permeate his game, converting the sudden wish to slyly do someone in or over into a control aggression throughout the game that keeps him on the field of play for a full 90 minute shift. Certainly good enough to keep and look to mould.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
For a player to miss nearly a quarter of the season through suspension is unacceptable.

Would be a good player for us if he could keep his temper in check, but sadly it appears he cannot.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't care if he has apparently expressed it to his mentor. It ought to be on the club website in bold and underlined "Ashley Barnes apologises to fans for being a dick".

Absolutely. Some public acknowledgement of his stupidity and the possible impact on our season would demonstrate to me that maybe he's going to make some changes

For a player to miss nearly a quarter of the season through suspension is unacceptable.

This too and they weren't mistimed tackles or "taking one for the team" both were rash and avoidable. He's always walking a tightrope, in the refs face, verbals etc. Time to move on imo, we've got better available to us anyway

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Can't quite understand why we wouldn't renew Barnes contract. His goal scoring record for Albion in terms of goals per game is better than that of CMS. Yes, he's been a berk at times this season, but he is certainly within our best 18 players at the club and is improving with each season. If we let him go, some other club will get a decent player on a free - a no brainer for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here