Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vote Tory for a..umm...err..we sort of might have a sort of referendum on Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But why on earth would it take decades to negotiate similar agreements?

It takes a while to build up friendships and trust and respect especially when you are up against countries which have had this in place for decades. It's the same with most things e.g. good trusted car mechanics don't just happen over night.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, avoid a racist, bigoted bunch of chancers, like the UKIP.
I dont believe leaving the EU will benefit the UK at all either.

but the great news is dave you and the rest of us will now get to vote on whether to stay in or out.....how can that be bad

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A bin fest. Whoddathunkit?

It's an early electioneering gambit he won't follow through with.

What he will do is try and move us out of some of the social obligations of being in Europe, ensuring that workers in the UK have less rights than their counterparts and that our factories remain easier and cheaper to shut down than those abroad as multi nationals cut their cloth to recession.
Also the idea we need to cut harder and faster seems like rot. The Irish are currently doing the same as us only a year or two further down the line, providing us with a consistently ignored barometer of how well the cuts programme will work.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It takes a while to build up friendships and trust and respect especially when you are up against countries which have had this in place for decades. It's the same with most things e.g. good trusted car mechanics don't just happen over night.

you are taking the piss now are you not?.......please say you are taking the piss?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A bin fest. Whoddathunkit?

It's an early electioneering gambit he won't follow through with.

What he will do is try and move us out of some of the social obligations of being in Europe, ensuring that workers in the UK have less rights than their counterparts and that our factories remain easier and cheaper to shut down than those abroad as multi nationals cut their cloth to recession.
Also the idea we need to cut harder and faster seems like rot. The Irish are currently doing the same as us only a year or two further down the line, providing us with a consistently ignored barometer of how well the cuts programme will work.

eh eh no flies on you eh. i love it when stating the obvious is dressed up as insight, its like telling people the magician doesnt really saw the girl in half and tapping your nose.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
but the great news is dave you and the rest of us will now get to vote on whether to stay in or out.....how can that be bad

Democracy is good...im all for a referendum. I think it would be wrong to leave the EU, but if we do, we do, and then have to deal with any consequences, good or bad.... but I dont believe the hype from people about UKIP...that hype seems to come from their supporters, and nobody else.
Britains main role should be the link between Europe and the USA...rather than ditching one, in favour of the other, as I believe UKIP want to cosy up more with the USA...we have an opportunity to be a key member of Europe...rather than some poor state hanging on its shirt-tails.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
your welcome

if you were wondering why i came to that conclusion it is because i think the voting British public are quite a savvy bunch and since we are talking about people that would vote on such an issue i think you saying the general public are morons on this issue makes you an idiot

The Sun is the most read newspaper in Britain. The X Factor is the most watched TV show. A significant proportion of the population couldn't locate Wales on a map.

I'm sorry but the general public ARE morons.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

But we've been trading with these countries already. It's not like meeting a new car mechanic, it's more like saying to an old mechanic "hi we both obviously trust one another, shall we cut out the middle man and I'll come to you direct from now on?", if the middle man happened to be taking £10bn in agent fees from you every year.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Democracy is good...im all for a referendum. I think it would be wrong to leave the EU, but if we do, we do, and then have to deal with any consequences, good or bad.... but I dont believe the hype from people about UKIP...that hype seems to come from their supporters, and nobody else.
Britains main role should be the link between Europe and the USA...rather than ditching one, in favour of the other, as I believe UKIP want to cosy up more with the USA...we have an opportunity to be a key member of Europe...rather than some poor state hanging on its shirt-tails.

i no longer care about this crap
i have just heard Beyonce was miming at the inauguration ceremony

for that reason i am out

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But we've been trading with these countries already. It's not like meeting a new car mechanic, it's more like saying to an old mechanic "hi we both obviously trust one another, shall we cut out the middle man and I'll come to you direct from now on?", if the middle man happened to be taking £10bn in agent fees from you every year.

But the car mechanic will say "I see where you're coming from but I have this age old arrangement where I service and polish these lovely Mercs and Audis. Thanks but no thanks."

Also, you seem to forget its only the English which always like a bargain. Money is only part of the consideration in other countries. Cheapest is not always best and the reason most German taxi drivers drive a Merc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Sun is the most read newspaper in Britain. The X Factor is the most watched TV show. A significant proportion of the population couldn't locate Wales on a map.

I'm sorry but the general public ARE morons.

i will make this very very simple for you

do you think the people that will vote on this issue are morons?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
eh eh no flies on you eh. i love it when stating the obvious is dressed up as insight, its like telling people the magician doesnt really saw the girl in half and tapping your nose.

I thought it was an interesting point. Which is a bigger threat to the UK working class, competition from Eastern European immigrants or looser labour laws that allow workers to be fired on a whim ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i no longer care about this crap
i have just heard Beyonce was miming at the inauguration ceremony

for that reason i am out

Good. You're talking crap.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
But the car mechanic will say "I see where you're coming from but I have this age old arrangement where I service and polish these lovely Mercs and Audis. Thanks but no thanks."

Also, you seem to forget its only the English which always like a bargain. Money is only part of the consideration in other countries. Cheapest is not always best and the reason most German taxi drivers drive a Merc.
Think I may have lost the analogy. Who are we talking about here, are Germany suddenly going to stop trading with us out of spite? We are huge customers of German products, they are more pragmatic than that.

I guess I just don't buy what seems to be overzealous fearmongering. Life will go on.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
i will make this very very simple for you

do you think the people that will vote on this issue are morons?

I think there are a lot of morons who could end up voting in such a referendum.

It's just like the Scottish independence issue. With Salmond and the tabloid press pandering to the young and impressionable there is always a risk that people who don't know any better will go out and vote FOR their country to leave the UK even though its clearly against their best interests

History is littered with examples of the popular vote being a disaster

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The naivety of the UK electorate is astounding.

The Tories have no intention of having a referendum because the majority of the party still feel they are better in than out... especially with the uncertain politcal climate. All of this is just bargaining chips to dilute UKip and try and get concessions from the EU.

There isnt a sane politcal party in this country that will try and leave the EU and they wont have a referendum because they know that the scandal-happy media have been phenomenal in telling the electorate why the EU is bad but totally silent on why it is good... of course good news is not news.

There is an insane one though... one that believes its own fantasies.

This.

If anyone thinks for a second that Dave will lead us out of the EU needs their bumps felt.

This is playing politics within the conservative party and has nothing to do with a proper choice.

He also wants to take out Farage and his merry men. I'll say it slowly..it's...a...fudge.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Swiss have dozens of separate individual free trade agreements to make this work. It would take decades for the UK to negotiate similar arrangements.

Actually it has 26 agreements not dozens and a vast majority of them are with non-EU countries. Nice to see pro-EU falsehoods getting out there already !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here