Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking of getting a DOG

Either a Border Collie or black Labrador.

Collies are good value and keep going pretty much until they drop dead. Downsides are they can SMELL a bit and may antagonise your cat. Definitely get a BOY, not a BITCH.

Black Labs are simply GORGEOUS, and not too much hard work. They slow up at about 3 but are great for HUGS and stuff. Downsides, NONE.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Does anyone have a Bernese Mountain Dog? If so, are they as wicked cool as they look?

bernese-mountain-puppy.jpg

Well want one.

When I am up at between 5.30 and 6am every day walking my two mutts I see one of these. It is the size of a large donkey, walks at about 10 metres a minute and probably eats around 80kg of food a day.

I have two dogs; one a pedigree chocolate lab and the other a 'rescue dog' from Ireland, which I think is part sheepdog, part goat and part fox. The lab (which cost about £600) has been an absolute nightmare due to tight gene pool issues and a very grumpy temperament. In comparison, the mongrel (which cost £50) is a pleasant, lively, healthy little chap.

Make of that what you will :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You've all been very informative. Thanks.

But seriously, I'm not into throwing dogs off motorway bridges to be honest. So what type of dog has the best re-sale value, in case my kids do get bored of it?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Does anyone have a Bernese Mountain Dog? If so, are they as wicked cool as they look?

bernese-mountain-puppy.jpg

Well want one.

The only one I know bit my Dog the other week both on leads and this hulk of a dog leapt like a panther, my poor fella had to have it stapled up without anestetic (ouch - he screamed the vets down).

Its big, does look good, I imagine a lot of grooming and brandy required.

I think the dogs trust are fantastic and if I had my way all dogs would be issued by these folk, whatever you want I imagine they could deliver from one of their many centres.

885 to chose from I reckon Ziggy looks the buisness

Dogs Trust - Search Results

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Dogs need quite alot of looking after.

Better off getting a CAT.
cats need looking after too ....but they are very independent and will take themselves for a walk
if you want a cat try this guy he is a good mate and homes many hundreds a year
http://www.lostcatsbrighton.org.uk

or if you are set on a dog then the NCDL at Shoreham they will see you through the whole process

good luck

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you do that? Obviously I'm not into killing dogs so I would rather do this if possible.

I guess you can take unwanted dogs to back to places like the RSPCA and Battersea Dogs Home. What other purpose do they serve if it's not to look after animals?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
these are my favourites because they look like alcoholic old men
old-english-sheepdog.jpg

but apparently you have to do a lot of "GROOMING"
Ex Albion winger and FA Cup finalist NEIL SMILLIE had that dog.

I know because I met it. About ten times. In fact, I spent an entire summer knocking on his door, asking him for shedloads of autographs and then selling them at school.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If you don't like them any more you can always eat them. Get a big one so you get more meat off it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess you can take unwanted dogs to back to places like the RSPCA and Battersea Dogs Home. What other purpose do they serve if it's not to look after animals?
I don't know, I'm not a dog expert. But if there was empty space, I'm guessing they'd take in sheep, cats, and rabbits?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ex Albion winger and FA Cup finalist NEIL SMILLIE had that dog.

I know because I met it. About ten times. In fact, I spent an entire summer knocking on his door, asking him for shedloads of autographs and then selling them at school.

Kids were buying the autograph of a footballer's dog? Was is a special school for special children?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you don't like them any more you can always eat them. Get a big one so you get more meat off it.

It's probably quite a lot of effort to prepare a dog to eat, you've got all that hair to worry about and then it probably won't fit in the oven

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Kids were buying the autograph of a footballer's dog? Was is a special school for special children?

Who ever heard of a dumb animal signing an autograph? I can't imagine anyone on here ever claiming to have signed pictures of a racehorse in their home. :dessiegate:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Golden Retreivers are the greatest Dogs to have ever walked this planet so I would get one of them. They cost a few quid to buy though.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I've got a shar pei at the moment and I wouldn't advise one for a first dog. As someone has mentioned border collies are good but are very energetic.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I don't know, I'm not a dog expert. But if there was empty space, I'm guessing they'd take in sheep, cats, and rabbits?

They are prob bursting at the seams, animal rescue places are usually at capacity most of the time and it's not unknown for animals to be put down at some places if they can't be homed.

The fact you are talking about taking it back if your kids get bored of it then get them a hamster or something. Do you think your kids will want to walk the dog and pick up after it 2-3 times a day?

If you are really serious about getting a dog then please get one from a rescue centre and give it the time and patience that's required. You must also be prepared for something to get chewed or peed on every now and then if they are younger. If you're just going to leave them alone most of the day while people are out at work / school then again seriously think about if you can really look after a dog.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To clarify, every time I knocked on Neil Smillie's door, this mahoosive dog came scampering over.

I wasn't overly fussed by the dog, but the money from Smillie's autographs was too good to turn down.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who ever heard of a dumb animal signing an autograph? I can't imagine anyone on here ever claiming to have signed pictures of a racehorse in their home. :dessiegate:

for the hard of thinking :stupid: just to clear this up, the picture was signed by the artist and not the race horse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dogs are shit. I wouldn't have one if you paid me. They make your house smell, and they are dirty.

No amount of 'companionship' or other such NONSENSE, would make walking round picking hot steaming SHIT off the pavement with an inside-out sandwich bag, worthwhile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here