Worthing
This shows how 'unfortunate' we were with snow yesterday

damn.JPG

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok, heads up.

I previously hinted at a possibly cold spell at the end of the 1st week of February. Well the data is starting to firm up on the possibility of an Easterly or North Easterly setting up over the UK from 5/6 February.

It's still a long way off, but there is support for it in all of the models, and if it occurs we'd be tapping into colder air than was available last time, so we'd expect any precipitation to be more snow than rain.

Details are not possible yet, as we're still over a week away, and timings vary.

The GIF below shows how we would get there, with a series of low pressures getting squeezed and elongated near the UK, beneath an Arctic High, and eventually pushed into Europe, allowing High Pressure to build to our North, and open the gates.

anim_ntk6.gif

The 2nd chart is from today's GFS (other models show similar) and shows the cluster of cold runs in the ensemble, showing reasonable (if not total) support for a cold week from the 6th or 7th Feb.

Worthing Cold.png

(Warning - there ARE milder runs still in the mix, but currently 60-70% of the runs support this)

Snow row values should be taken as a guide only, for now.

So, maybe, just maybe ❄☃

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could it sound a bit like a...Feast from the Least?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm normally all over the 'snow' thread, but with 50+ million people to vaccinate, including at the moment lots of oldies who may struggle to travel, it can do one this year.

#killjoy

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ok, heads up.

I previously hinted at a possibly cold spell at the end of the 1st week of February. Well the data is starting to firm up on the possibility of an Easterly or North Easterly setting up over the UK from 5/6 February.

It's still a long way off, but there is support for it in all of the models, and if it occurs we'd be tapping into colder air than was available last time, so we'd expect any precipitation to be more snow than rain.

Details are not possible yet, as we're still over a week away, and timings vary.

The GIF below shows how we would get there, with a series of low pressures getting squeezed and elongated near the UK, beneath an Arctic High, and eventually pushed into Europe, allowing High Pressure to build to our North, and open the gates.

View attachment 133118

The 2nd chart is from today's GFS (other models show similar) and shows the cluster of cold runs in the ensemble, showing reasonable (if not total) support for a cold week from the 6th or 7th Feb.

View attachment 133119

(Warning - there ARE milder runs still in the mix, but currently 60-70% of the runs support this)

So, maybe, just maybe ❄☃

:thumbsup::bowdown::rave::O:kiss:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm normally all over the 'snow' thread, but with 50+ million people to vaccinate, including at the moment lots of oldies who may struggle to travel, it can do one this year.

#killjoy

I'm sort of with you, although obviously snow does prevent people travelling to spread the virus so it's not 100% negative. Plus encourages people to go outside (locally), which is never a bad thing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ok, heads up.

View attachment 133118

View attachment 133119

So, maybe, just maybe ❄☃

But this gets a MASSIVE thumbs up. I know it's far from certain, it always is, but fingers crossed this is our turn.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm sort of with you, although obviously snow does prevent people travelling to spread the virus so it's not 100% negative. Plus encourages people to go outside (locally), which is never a bad thing.

But no snow ball fights with the neighbourhood or large fine :whistle:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Looks ominous here in Ceredigion, the council have ordered 2 bags of extra salt from the Co Op

Yoda

English & European
The GFS is still going strong with the much colder conditions from next Saturday night. Still a lot can change on that front as the ensembles are all over the place for that period
t850West~Sussex.png

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As [MENTION=1933]Yoda[/MENTION] has said we need the models to stabilise around a solution.

The 'decision' is how the low pressure that sinks into Europe 'behaves'. The Op run above (thick green) takes a while to get a clean easterly flow, so it's a few days behind other runs, which move it quickly over France.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here