Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone in - Man in Pub.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Pavilionaire said:
Surely there's more to the day than simply the quality of Albion's football?

For me if I stay at home I miss a couple of hours in the pub beforehand with anywhere between 3 - 9 mates who are also going to the game, I miss the match itself and the release of going to the footie and calling the ref a ****.

Most of the enjoyment whilst at the Withdean is derived from taking the piss out of the opposition, the officials, twats in the crowd etc, if it's a decent match that's the cherry on the cake.

I couldn't agree more :)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lammy said:
This bloke hadn't had to travel anywhere, and I get the distinct impression he had travelled to the pub before the game. Got compfy and decided not to bother. Fair enough.

But don't come on the radio and say you're not going because the football has never been this bad in 37years! It's simply not true.

Everyone has the right to do what they want. Even support Palace if you're that way inclined. What you don't have the right to do is air your views on the radio and expect everyone to agree with you. I'm dissagreeing with the bloke on the radio. that's all. This is a message board for airing your views. AS you have read there are a number of people on here that disagree with me. This is fine. we then talk about it.

It's called a message board.

I didn't listen to the radio but surely the bloke was expressing his opinion just like you are now.

I enjoyed going to Gillingham. At least it was a good day out even when we lost. There was always at atmosphere there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pavilionaire said:
Surely there's more to the day than simply the quality of Albion's football?

For me if I stay at home I miss a couple of hours in the pub beforehand with anywhere between 3 - 9 mates who are also going to the game, I miss the match itself and the release of going to the footie and calling the ref a ****.

Most of the enjoyment whilst at the Withdean is derived from taking the piss out of the opposition, the officials, twats in the crowd etc, if it's a decent match that's the cherry on the cake.

Absolutely. The best part of my Saturday was the pub (The Prince Albert) with mates after the game. Beer, chat, the fruit machine, decent music and some football on TV. (I hope I don't get shot for the latter of those elements - it was Premiership teams and everything)

The Albion got 3 points - hooray! They'd have got them had I stayed in the pub.

Lammy said:
In fact I think I will re-state my point so that we can get back to it. My point is;

I don't like the attitude that if the atmosphere/standard of football is poor then I won't bother anymore.

Fans create the atmosphere (yes the stadium helps but I've been to away games with no roof and a decent atmosphere). And a good atmosphere helps the team! Giving up and not bothering gives you no right to phone up a radio staion and complain about the above!

OK!

Nah, you've lost me. :jester:

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Josky said:
Why is there a hardcore of fans (who mainly post on here) who are determined to keep having a go at anyone and everyone who expresses a little disillusion in the club at the moment.

Expresssing a little disillusion in the club is fine, but to just say the team are playing crap and I'm gonna stay in the pub, and watch whoever is hardly contructive.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Lammy said:
This bloke hadn't had to travel anywhere, and I get the distinct impression he had travelled to the pub before the game. Got compfy and decided not to bother. Fair enough.

But don't come on the radio and say you're not going because the football has never been this bad in 37years! It's simply not true.

Everyone has the right to do what they want. Even support Palace if you're that way inclined. What you don't have the right to do is air your views on the radio and expect everyone to agree with you. I'm dissagreeing with the bloke on the radio. that's all. This is a message board for airing your views. AS you have read there are a number of people on here that disagree with me. This is fine. we then talk about it.

It's called a message board.

I don't think anyone phones up to give their opinion on the radio EXPECTING everyone to agree with him. He didn't. I listened to him and agreed with a lot of what he was saying. I thought it was stupid that he didn't go, but if he feels that way AND he is a long term supporter, shouldn't the club be concerned about it? What else can explain why attendances are down so much?

Lammy, you've contradicted yourself. He does have a right to air his views on the radio and precisely what you objected to in the first place was that he went on the radio and told everyone why he was staying away!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically, if the geezer goes to matches by himself what he said is far less important than if he is giving up a regular matchday commitment with his family and / or mates.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
"There was always an atmosphere at Gillingham"?????
Would this be when Gillingham played because I certainly don't remember the Priestfield being anything other than total shit every time we played there. Maybe I suffered from some sort of ear infection during such Gillingham "classics" as a 0-0 draw with Shrewsbury in front of 1,917 people. Or a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Cardiff in the presence of 2,312 fans.
If I hadn't got a lift from Uckfield with some other Albion fans then I doubt I would have bothered with most of the 97/98 season like several thousand other Albion fans. The drive was a long winded nightmare that took an age and the one time I went on the train to Gillingham was enough to persuade me never to do it again.
It doesn't take long for the old sepia tinted glasses to come out and the belief that everything was better in the old days. I can sort of understand why people eulogise about the Goldstone, even though the facilties were rank bad and the atmosphere was poor for most bog standard 2nd division games, it was our home and it had the weight of history behind it. The Priestfield, on the other hand, was the scene of our worst ever season of league football. I have nothing but bad feelings about the place, to the extent that I haven't attended our last two games there. As far as i'm concerned I never want to go back.

Ex Shelton Seagull said:

Yeah, it's always puzzled me when people say that. I certainly don't remember an atmosphere on that freezing November night when we lost 3-0 at home to Barnet in front of an all-time low crowd 1,025 (interestingly enough, Man United were on telly that night). Remember thinking it was one of the worst footballing experiences of my life.

I can only guess that anyone who actually enjoyed our trips to Priestfield never went to The Goldstone.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
mona said:
Every unsold seat is a loss of vital revenue for the Albion. The club can't invest in the team if average gates drop to barely 6000.

He had a ticket, so the seat was not unsold.

The Chelsea arguement is a poor one. He cant of stayed in pub to watch Chelsea instead of Brighton, because by the time Brighton had kicked off the Chelsea match had finished as I beleive they kicked off around mid-day!

So what was he doing instead of watching The Albion?
And if he was nearby and the halftime score was 4-0 to the albion would he of got down there for the second half?

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Bozza said:
I'm sorry I just don't believe what I am reading here.

You sold your ticket to a mate?

Absolute bollocks - as the NSC Ticket Exchange shows - there is no-one left alive who is prepared to pay cold hard cash for an Albion ticket!

Blimey - I've never looked on that Ticket Exchange before.....

Actually, I got rid of two tickets.... Honest!!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Would this be when Gillingham played because I certainly don't remember the Priestfield being anything other than total shit every time we played there.

Not true sir!!

There was one good un (atmosphere wise) when we played against, and lost to unsurprisingly, Leyton Orient, I think 2-1.......but you are right, most games at Gillingham were devoid of a decent atmosphere!!

Slightly off-topic, but with an air of apathy prevelent (spelling?) at Withdean, it would be VERY INTERESTING if the club asked fans now to renew their season tickets for next season.......because I know of at least 5 people who most probably won't be renewing them and will get tickets as and when

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I sold Ned's ticket too because he was working

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One reason not to get a season ticket is you might get a FG or Lord Haw haw or a moaner or somebody who eats the curry and chips or a lofty in front of you and you are lumbered for the whole season.

But most of all, because if you want to go in a group, not everybody is going to buy a season ticket and instead of being together you are scattered all over the ground. This is one problem to resolved somehowat a bigger stadium like Falmer. The best bet would be to have a section of the ground where the seats are not allocated and are sat in on a first come first served basis.

Somehow, I think that this may get overlooked unless somebody says.

This will help with the early leavers as well. They can choose to sit near the exit.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
i think the guy thought that the whole world revolved around his pleasure but it wasnt cool of him to ring up and boast about missing the game for no reason and then to criticise players,chairman etc was pathetic
thing is when falmer is built we'll need glory fans like him and as much as i hate to say it...bring on the fair weather fans! :shootself

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Would that be the game where the ref had a Prosser and booked just about every player on the pitch? If so, I missed that game due to having an audition in Cardiff on that day. Typical of my luck during those Pissfield days. I also missed the 4-4 draw with Colchester as well. The first game against Macclesfield was a bit lively as well, due to Bellotti and his missus making an appearance.
Going back to the bloke on SCR, I can sort of sympathise with him. I guess we all have a breaking point where we can stands no more. I know I had one last season when I refused to go to the home game against Grimsby after watching us surrender to Stoke in the previous home game so I gave then ticket to my Dad. It felt so strange to be in Brighton and not go to a home game that I didn't miss another one all season.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Josky said:
I don't think anyone phones up to give their opinion on the radio EXPECTING everyone to agree with him. He didn't. I listened to him and agreed with a lot of what he was saying. I thought it was stupid that he didn't go, but if he feels that way AND he is a long term supporter, shouldn't the club be concerned about it? What else can explain why attendances are down so much?

Lammy, you've contradicted yourself. He does have a right to air his views on the radio and precisely what you objected to in the first place was that he went on the radio and told everyone why he was staying away!

If you read that post again you will notice that I said "has the right to expect everyone to agree with him" i.e. I don't and have thus come on here and said so!

Where have I contradicted myself?

People were moaning about the same boring football under Peter Taylor but we were grinding out wins and draws then. For me the football is no more or less spectacular than any of the 3seasons before it. Yes we had glorious games when we dominated from start to finish, e.g. Wolves last season. Like we have this season e.g. Wycombe. Unfortunatley this season we haven't had the rub of the green. We've generally enjoyed a lot of possesion this season but only Knight seems to know how to score. Other teams are now marking him out of the game and we've been tucked up a few times. I guess what I'm really upset about is how fickle some fans are! If I wanted to watch quality football every week I'd support Man Utd or Arsenal. I dream of watching quality football every week but only from the Albion. It is my enjoyment as a supporter in eventually seeing them achieve this. I didn't choose Brighton they choose me. Brighton are my team. I choose to support them in the vein hope that they may compete at the top level, even if it's only one season at a time. Of cup runs and occassionally beating clubs with huge resources on their own patch. Does this desire fade because I'm watching my team at Withdean? No. Does is fade because we've had a bad run? no. I will go on supporting Brighton through thick and thin. Seeing them play well and getting three well deserved points is indeed a very small cherry on top of a very large cake.

BRIGHTON TILL I DIE!

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Agreed Perseus. Most of my friends in Uckfield support other teams but they've all said to me that they wouldn't mind going to some Albion games. The problem is that they would be sitting in a different block from me, probably in another stand. I had hoped that some of the new seats that are going to go in at Withdean would be unreserved but there's probably no chance of that happening.
On the subject of moaners I sat next to one at the Blackpool game last year. He moaned CONSTANTLY about all our players, the stadium, the manager, the directors. I couldn't stand it so I moved to another seat during the 2nd half, but he ruined that game for me. Even though we won 3-0 I was so pissed off with his negativity that that was all I could think about. I swear this guy made FG seem like a cheerleader. That was the only time i've been in the North East stand and the thought of ending up next to someone like him again puts me off getting some tickets for that stand again.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Lammy said:
People were moaning about the same boring football under Peter Taylor but we were grinding out wins and draws then. For me the football is no more or less spectacular than any of the 3seasons before it. Yes we had glorious games when we dominated from start to finish, e.g. Wolves last season. Like we have this season e.g. Wycombe. Unfortunatley this season we haven't had the rub of the green. We've generally enjoyed a lot of possesion this season but only Knight seems to know how to score. Other teams are now marking him out of the game and we've been tucked up a few times. I guess what I'm really upset about is how fickle some fans are! If I wanted to watch quality football every week I'd support Man Utd or Arsenal. I dream of watching quality football every week but only from the Albion. It is my enjoyment as a supporter in eventually seeing them achieve this. I didn't choose Brighton they choose me. Brighton are my team. I choose to support them in the vein hope that they may compete at the top level, even if it's only one season at a time. Of cup runs and occassionally beating clubs with huge resources on their own patch. Does this desire fade because I'm watching my team at Withdean? No. Does is fade because we've had a bad run? no. I will go on supporting Brighton through thick and thin. Seeing them play well and getting three well deserved points is indeed a very small cherry on top of a very large cake.

BRIGHTON TILL I DIE!

Well :censored: said!

The main problem I have with this thread is football on TV?

What makes people want to watch it? I don't like watching football on TV really. If it's a big match, Cup Final, Playoff, England I'll watch.

I find you can hardly hear the commentators, have loads of distractions, and have absolutly no intrest in the outcome. I find very little enjoyment in watching footy on TV in a pub.

I agree with both arguments on this case. I don't think it's such a big deal that the guy should be hung by his bollocks from the Withdean floodlights. However the attitude of some fans does irritate me. I couldn't care less about them though. I'll watch the club whatever. If they want to sit in the pub - great. At least I don't have to be near them.

Last edited:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
People have selective memories ! I can remember some pretty dire performances at home during the two championship years (Scunthorpe, Southend Div 3) Wrexham, Brentford Div 2), even last season I always think of the performances against Wolves & Forest as opposed to Wimbledon & Walsall.

As a season ticket holder I would not even consider not going unless I had good reason on the basis you just never know when Albion will turn on a performance !!!, have only missed 1 home game this year due to holiday, and do not intend to miss any more this season.

Man in the pub will be back when we beat Plymouth 4-0 !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here